WiiM Ultra not playing 24/192 via Coaxial

asmith7069

Hi,
Apologies in advance if this is a newbie question but brand new to WiiM.
I have an Ultra (latest firmware etc) that I am trying to connect to a Denon Amp via a Chord C Coax.
If I play 24/192 songs via Amazon music the best I can get it to play is 24/96 via Coax.
If I connect via Optical it plays 24/192 no problem at all.
What am I doing wrong and any help would be greatly appreciated as I’d prefer to connect viaCoax?
Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
I’d try a different cable - even one lead of the rca cable that came with your WiiM. Could be an impedance mismatch, although I must admit I use a chord coax cable ( can’t recall which as it was a freebie from my dealer when I bought my amp) from my Pro into my Linn amp no problem.

Edit: as a footnote, I wouldn’t expect optical or coax to sound any different…

Welcome.

Which Denon, although it would seem strange if it supported 192 over optical and not coax.
I'm assuming "the best I can get it to play is 24/96 via Coax" means that 192 tracks just don't make any sound?
Or is it that 192 tracks play, but at 96?
Check the Audio Settings page in the wiim app, as the max sample rate can be set per output.

Otherwise, as Mr Side Burns says ( :) ) try another cable, and check it's fully inserted at both ends.

I’d try a different cable - even one lead of the rca cable that came with your WiiM. Could be an impedance mismatch, although I must admit I use a chord coax cable ( can’t recall which as it was a freebie from my dealer when I bought my amp) from my Pro into my Linn amp no problem.

Edit: as a footnote, I wouldn’t expect optical or coax to sound any different…
Many thanks Burnside. I shall try another cable.

Welcome.

Which Denon, although it would seem strange if it supported 192 over optical and not coax.
I'm assuming "the best I can get it to play is 24/96 via Coax" means that 192 tracks just don't make any sound?
Or is it that 192 tracks play, but at 96?
Check the Audio Settings page in the wiim app, as the max sample rate can be set per output.

Otherwise, as Mr Side Burns says ( :) ) try another cable, and check it's fully inserted at both ends.
Thanks Mr Ee
It’s a Denon PMA-60 which is certainly capable of receiving signals higher than 24/192. (And as a side note is a great match footprint wise and colour for the Ultra Silver)
Yes no sound at all via Coax unless I adjust down to 24/96 via the app, veeery strange that optical plays like a good un’ at 24/192.
All settings are set to the highest but if I play 24/192 track as mentioned zero sound!
As Burnside mentions I shall try another cable and see.
Thanks for the reply.

The amp seems to have usb dac input too.
Try that?
Many thanks again. I shall have a good play this weekend. It’s a new piece of kit having received it a few days ago so just getting to know it. Impressed thus far though.

It sounds like a compatibility or configuration issue. Some DACs and amps handle coaxial differently than optical, especially at higher resolutions. Make sure your Denon amp and the WiiM Ultra are set up to support 24/192 over coaxial. You might also want to check if there are any settings on the WiiM Ultra that need adjusting for coaxial output. If everything seems correct and the issue persists, reaching out to WiiM support could provide further insights.
In the WiiM Home app, coax and optical outputs both have the same options - settings for the bit depth and sample rate. The ultra doesn’t yet have fixed resolution output like other models do.

Back