Wonderful, wonderful Ultra

Well, I am more than happy. My old setup was a Raspberry Pi 4 with Ropieee feeding a high end DAC via USB and then the DAC output directly to an amp. This setup had some issues. One was there was no bass control as I had the sub wired in parallel to the mains. Two was there was no preamp and when I used the DAC for volume control and the source (Roon for example) for volume control, the result could easily be distortion. The solution was to always keep the DAC at 2V output - sometimes a pain. Third was the annoyance of the DAC inputs needing to be changed via remote or on the front panel. There was no direct IR so the inputs needed to be toggled and this was difficult from across the room.

My setup now is the Ultra feeding an A/B amp via RCA and my sub is hooked to the SUB OUT. I kept but rarely use the Raspi 4 with Ropieee connected to the optical input of the Ultra. This gives me Airplay 1 and 2, Plexamp and more.

Now the Ultra senses which input I am using. I just hit play on Roon and almost immediately sound come out. The ESS DAC in the Ultra is really good and I'm comparing to my $500 Gustard DAC.

I also did an Ultra room correction and it did a good job. I had used REW with a USB mike with Roon before and maybe I'll repeat the correction with REW but in that case I would have correction only with Roon. But it would be nice to measure the two methods before and after correction in my small room.

My sources are Roon (I paid an online service to digitize my SACD and CD collection), Tidal, QOBUZ, & SiriusXM and my tastes are usually classical.

I also did an Ultra room correction and it did a good job. I had used REW with a USB mike with Roon before and maybe I'll repeat the correction with REW but in that case I would have correction only with Roon. But it would be nice to measure the two methods before and after correction in my small room.
You can perform room correction in REW then transfer the PEQ filter settings from REW to the WiiM Home App. Then you wouldn't be limited to Room.

Well, I went to play music today and my old A/B amp was dead in the water. Hopefully it is just a fuse - there's a couple inside and I'll take it apart later, but if it finally dies of old age (it's vintage 1990's) I'll be in the market fo a new amp.

Really happy with my Ultra.

It replaced a Wiim Pro and Topping D30 DAC.

I have it directly connected to a Naim Nait 5i and Q Acoustics 3050i.

Really neat and good looking system.

Thanks for the reply. Had no idea what it meant.
It’s not plug and play and easy to use like wiim rc. It involves using recommended mic like umik 1 and use pc with rew software. After the rew made its calculations, you going to input the information you obtain form rew and manually input those information to wiim peq parameter.

It’s not plug and play and easy to use like wiim rc. It involves using recommended mic like umik 1 and use pc with rew software. After the rew made its calculations, you going to input the information you obtain form rew and manually input those information to wiim peq parameter.
Thanks for the explanation.
Nothing for me..I don't even have a clue what room correction can do for me not to mention adjusting peq or Q values ..if it would be needed.
Its a difficult topic for a noob. I would think room correction would take out some frequencies so i wouldn't hear every detail..but apparently I have no idea how RC works at all.
I will try it within the Wim app soon ..
I also wonder if RC works for people who mostly Listen with low volume and all the benefits you will have listening to a 2.1 System.
The advantages are there for watching movies i read..but maybe it will do a lot too within listening to music be it with 2 speakers or with a sub.
You see..i have no idea. I just have to try it..

Nothing for me..I don't even have a clue what room correction can do for me not to mention adjusting peq or Q values ..if it would be needed.
Its a difficult topic for a noob. I would think room correction would take out some frequencies so i wouldn't hear every detail..but apparently I have no idea how RC works at all.
I will try it within the Wim app soon ..
There are many factor but if you can properly place your speakers on equilateral from your sitting position your halfway there achieving stable stereo image. You then you will need a room treatment like placing absorbent panel on side and back of speakers. From here, you can use wiim rc with 3 different curve of your choice. Play on them and see which one sound best on your ear remember everyone is different and it’s all personal preference. Happy listening!

There are many factor but if you can properly place your speakers on equilateral from your sitting position your halfway there achieving stable stereo image. You then you will need a room treatment like placing absorbent panel on side and back of speakers. From here, you can use wiim rc with 3 different curve of your choice. Play on them and see which one sound best on your ear remember everyone is different and it’s all personal preference. Happy listening!
Thanks for the help.
Wiim amp, speakers with sub sound really wonderful..
I dont know if RC can even create an even better sound it sounds now.
I will try it..thats the best way. 😊😊👍

Thanks for the help.
Wiim amp, speakers with sub sound really wonderful..
I dont know if RC can even create an even better sound it sounds now.
I will try it..thats the best way. 😊😊👍
Wiim RC tend to give you “diffuse” soundfield which pleasing to ear. It add layer of width and depth. Diffuse won’t be for you if you like in your face sound.

Wiim RC tend to give you “diffuse” soundfield which pleasing to ear. It add layer of width and depth. Diffuse won’t be for you if you like in your face sound.
I will try it. Sound now is wonderful...
Wouldn't like it if some details weren't there anymore.
I have to try it. I I don't like it I have always the possibility to play a little bit with it or to set it off.

Back