2 unrelated AirPlay issues

pavilonsound

I have a configuration with a WiiM Pro Plus sending coax audio to a NAD multi-channel amp. It is connected to the network via ethernet. I often use it with a Mac computer playing Apple Music to the WiiM but also an Apple TV (ethernet, same network switch) that is driving some other speakers and a couple of pairs of HomePod Minis.

The WiiM inevitably drops out of the AirPlay group after a period of time playing and must be reselected, while all of the others continue to work fine. Sometimes indicating the loss in Apple Music's AirPlay settings, sometimes not. Is there any log that I could read on the WiiM or my Mac that might tell me the reason for the drop? I have no reason to believe there is any network "blip" with the other devices working fine right on through it.

The second issue is that I do not believe that when the AirPlay volume is adjusted that the WiiM is following the same level curve as the HomePod Minis. For example, if I balance out the individual levels, and then change the master level control in Apple Music, the WiiM and the HomePods sound like they are changing at at different rates. I'm certain this would be something measurable. I have read someplace that the AirPlay volume curve math is a little unusual.

I suppose for the first problem, I could get another Apple TV, strip the digital audio off of the HDMI and feed it into the WiiM to provide AirPlay stability, but at some point, other than the trigger signal from the WiiM to power up the multi-channel amp, I'm kind of replicating my narrow use case for the WiiM

You should raise a ticket to WiiM via their app so they can inspect your device logs as they’re not easily accessible on iOS. You might be able to use some third party app to extract the logs from an iOS backup, but I’d guess WiiM might diagnose the issue more quickly.

Back