About USB key Playlists?

Sylvain

Hello,

Does anyone know how to save playlists to put them in the WiiM:media Server section?
It's available/displayed when I use files stored on a USB key.

Second question. Have you managed (with the files stored on a USB stick) to have a playlist of more than 678 songs (my maximum), while I have 2000 songs saved and recognized in WHA?
Somethimes it's about 300 max.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806-112338_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806-112338_WiiM Home.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240806_113320.jpg
    20240806_113320.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Well, I have one single playlist if .m3u format on my 1 TB thumb drive, just for testing purposes. It's a "recently added" playlist automatically created by MusicBee and contains 6997 songs. :LOL: It's a plain text file pointing the physical location of each song, like so:

Code:
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\14 What Makes You Cry.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\15 Then I Met You.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\16 Should Have Been Loved.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\17 Sunshine on Leith.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\18 My Old Friend the Blues.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\01 Love Can Move Mountains.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\02 Notes & Rhyymes.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\03 Three More Days.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\04 Just Look Now.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\05 Sing All Our Cases Away.flac

It's not intended to be useful for any real life purposes but all I can say is that my WiiM Amp with firmware 5.0.625359 and WiiM Home App version 2.10.9 deal with it just fine. One exception: I cannot add this entire playlist to the listening queue.

playlist 6997 tracks.jpg

Sort options are limited but do exist at least.

playlist sort options.jpg

I didn't plug that drive into my WiiM Ultra yet, but I have no reason to believe it would behave any different.

Last edited:
Well, I have one single playlist if .m3u format on my 1 TB thumb drive, just for testing purposes. It's a "recently added" playlist automatically created by MusicBee and contains 6997 songs. :LOL: It's a plain text file pointing the physical location of each song, like so:

Code:
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\14 What Makes You Cry.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\15 Then I Met You.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\16 Should Have Been Loved.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\17 Sunshine on Leith.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Like Comedy\18 My Old Friend the Blues.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\01 Love Can Move Mountains.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\02 Notes & Rhyymes.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\03 Three More Days.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\04 Just Look Now.flac
\music\The Proclaimers\Notes & Rhymes\05 Sing All Our Cases Away.flac

It's not intended to be useful for any real life purposes but all I can say is that my WiiM Amp with firmware 5.0.625359 and WiiM Home App version 2.10.9 deal with it just fine. One exception: I cannot add this entire playlist to the listening queue.

View attachment 9987

Sort options are limited but do exist at least.

View attachment 9988

I didn't plug that drive into my WiiM Ultra yet, but I have no reason to believe it would behave any different.

Thanks for correcting me - I had submitted a ticket re playlist support for Samba shares and was told that WiiM were “working on how to support them”, and I’ve clearly and wrongly conflated that with support on USB drives.

Good to know they do work on USB so hopefully it’ll not be too difficult for them to extend that for Samba shares. Thanks again :)

Does anyone know how to save playlists to put them in the WiiM:media Server section?
It's available/displayed when I use files stored on a USB key.
I'd expect playlists created in the WiiM Home App to be stored in My Music > My Playlists not on USB.
If you're asking how to create them on a PC then MusicBee is a good option.

@harkpabst
Now that all my files have been recognized by WiiM Home app, but with a lot of difficulty, I don't dare try a m3u plalist with foobar for the time being (I imagine it would be the same principle as MusicBee).
Especially if it can't be used for playback.

Regarding the number of files on the ultra : I've added all my USB stick folders to the reading queue. I'm currently at 908 "counted" out of 2000. Maybe as the files are added, they'll all be counted.
I'd expect playlists created in the WiiM Home App to be stored in My Music > My Playlists not on USB.
If you're asking how to create them on a PC then MusicBee is a good option.

I did see My Music > My Playlists, but you can only add one file at a time, it seems.
As for putting a playlist on the USB stick (with MusicBee or foobar - I think - ), I think, I read in the forum that you have to put it in a dedicated folder in wimm,cache called Playlist. But I couldn't find one.

I must admit I'm a bit confused.

I did see My Music > My Playlists, but you can only add one file at a time, it seems.
Playlist management is VERY basic on the WiiM unfortunately. Improvements have been requested many times but I haven't heard any news on that front.

As for putting a playlist on the USB stick (with MusicBee or foobar - I think - ), I think, I read in the forum that you have to put it in a dedicated folder in wimm,cache called Playlist. But I couldn't find one.
I don't have an Amp/Ultra but I don't think you need a dedicated playlist folder, and certainly not in wiim_cache but @harkpabst should be able to confirm that.

I don't have an Amp/Ultra but I don't think you need a dedicated playlist folder, and certainly not in wiim_cache but @harkpabst should be able to confirm that.
In my case the one and only massive playlist happens to reside in a folder called /playlists. But that's just by chance, because it's the default in the synchronisation settings MusicBee can manage per device. It shouldn't make a difference.

I would not put it into the wiim_cache folder, for sure.

In my case the one and only massive playlist happens to reside in a folder called /playlists. But that's just by chance, because it's the default in the synchronisation settings MusicBee can manage per device. It shouldn't make a difference.

I would not put it into the wiim_cache folder, for sure.
Thank you.
Before tinkering, I'll wait for official support.
Until then, I'll rely on what's offered, even if it's a bit frustrating given the use I have of it (headphones, streaming, USB).

Best regards :)

Before tinkering, I'll wait for official support.
What would you expect as "official support"? Managing playlists on a PC is not exactly uncommon. You need to copy the music files to the stick anyway, with no official support for that. :)

Due to all the technical difficulties laid out in fine detail by @simbun I cannot imagine WiiM to ever try and unify all thinkable sources into one common playlist, managed inside the WiiM Home App.

With the WiiM home application, it is currently impossible to create a playlist from files on a USB stick. Playlist to be read by the ultra.
(I hope my app translates well :rolleyes:)

With the WiiM home application, it is currently impossible to create a playlist from files on a USB stick. Playlist to be read by the ultra.
(I hope my app translates well :rolleyes:)
Yes, the translation is easy to understand. I just don't think that it will ever be possible to create a playlist for files on the USB stick from the WiiM Home App.

Big disappointment here, as reading queues are already limited to 800 titles (I've got a little bit more than 2000 files on USB).... I wonder what the point was of adding a USB input. It seems to be more of a gimmick than a real feature.:oops:

Big disappointment here, as reading queues are already limited to 800 titles (I've got a little bit more than 2000 files on USB).... I wonder what the point was of adding a USB input. It seems to be more of a gimmick than a real feature.:oops:
As I said, my playlist consists of almost 7000 songs. No problems with that.

After updating the WiiM Home App to version 2.11.0 I noticed that I now could even add the entire playlist to the play queue without any problems. I didn't try if it would play error free till the end. :)

PS:
There is still no way to assign an m3u playlist to a preset, that's true.

As I said, my playlist consists of almost 7000 songs. No problems with that.

After updating the WiiM Home App to version 2.11.0 I noticed that I now could even add the entire playlist to the play queue without any problems. I didn't try if it would play error free till the end. :)
You're talking about ultra. It seems to me that you have several WiiMs?

I don't understand because when I launch a playlist from WiiM Home App, -> USB -> Songs (where all my USB files are contained), only 900 files on 2000 are counted on the Ultra's screen. And some of them (in the end, over the first 900 are never played)

Perhaps I should make a m3u playlist with foobar and place it at the root of my USB stick, but I doubt the effectiveness and that's what I find " tinkering ".

Yes, the translation is easy to understand. I just don't think that it will ever be possible to create a playlist for files on the USB stick from the WiiM Home App.
At one point you were able to access the files through Home Music Share, is that still the case and can you create playlists that way?

I don't see a reason why you couldn't create playlists based on USB content.

At one point you were able to access the files through Home Music Share, is that still the case and can you create playlists that way?

I don't see a reason why you couldn't create playlists based on USB content.
Unless I get it wrong (and I hope I do).

This way I can only make playlists by adding songs one by one... This has been confirmed to me by the WiiM team.

Just imagine that I'm not going to spend hours making my lists... I don't even know if they'll work, since I can't play my entire collection from Homme App (through Home Music Share).

The only solution I can imagine is to put my key on the PC. Make a m3u list with foobar that I place at the root of the key. Keep your fingers crossed. And may it work...

I'm afraid that once I've modified the USB key, WiiM Home App with the penultimate firmware version was displaying errata all over the place. A quick format did nothing... I had to do a slow formatting ... Then 90 minutes to reload my files...

Thank you to try to help me to understand thi USB input.

Unless I get it wrong (and I hope I do).

This way I can only make playlists by adding songs one by one... This has been confirmed to me by the WiiM team.
Have you considered using a third party control point e.g. BubbleUPnP.

Have you considered using a third party control point e.g. BubbleUPnP.
I've just tried the free version. It's possible to make a simple playlist, but it's only available locally (on the phone). It seems impossible to put it on the Ultra.

I'm going to try it with foobar and see if I lose everything or if it works.

Thanks all the same. It was much appreciated.

Sylvain.

Back