AirConnect: Send audio to UPnP/Sonos/Chromecast players using AirPlay

Burnside

Major Contributor
Didn't quite know which subforum to post this in, so general thoughts it is...

AirConnect is a package developed by philippe44 who is pretty well known in LMS circles for his 'bridge' plugins which allow the transfer of audio between different protocols. This particular bridge allows UPnP devices (like WiiM devices) to appear as Airplay 1 endpoints so may be of interest to those who want lossless CD quality transmission from Apple Music, or indeed for those who want a certain recent WiiM device (I'll let you guess which one ;) ) to appear as an Airplay target. Note that as it's only Airplay 1, it can't form part of a group.

The bridge needs to be running while transferring the audio and there are several versions for different platforms. Artwork and track details aren't shown in the WiiM app/ touchscreen, and there may be other drawbacks which you can read about in the rather extensive documentation at https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

It's also the basis of the following software which I've been playing around with for the past day or so on platforms I already have running all the time

1. ShairTunes plugin in LMS;
2. AirSonos add-on in HomeAssistant;
3. AirConnect on my Synology NAS

It's not particularly configurable, but may be worth looking at to see if it meets your needs or whether you think it's worth the effort over a simple Bluetooth connection. It was nice though to see a certain WiiM device appear as an Airplay target on my Ipad :)

Last edited:
Back