AirPlay 1 endpoint option on WHA

Hiphiman

Major Contributor
When an AirPlay receiver is in Airplay 1 mode it allows for lossless - or certainly 16bit/44.1kHz - music transmission, unlike AirPlay 2 which downsamples to lossy 256kbps AAC, so the ability to switch from one to the other could be really useful (I believe AirPlay 2 is mandated for multi-room).
I know this AirPlay receiver feature has been requested here in the past but it is interesting that it appears Roon, RoPieee and Tidal have all recently introduced this functionality themselves:
https://darko.audio/2024/06/lossless-airplay-updates-from-roon-tidal-and-ropieee/
Superficially it would seem like an easy feature to implement and, if so, could be useful for those with Apple devices and/or Apple Music.

+1 That would be highly appreciated by me. The WiiM devices should be configurable as AirPlay 1 (legacy) receiver only. There’s no point in AirPlay 2 if you don’t need multi room or low latency.
For listening to music AirPlay 1 is fine/perfect. And that’s the reason why music clients like PlexAmp choose to use AirPlay 1 only (as sender).

For me the point is reached where I do not care about in any longer. To be honest, some parts I do not even understand 😉
Will use Apple Music with wired headphones or Airpods. And wait for a non Android streamer with full integration. Best will be from Apple, because at least it will be a great looking piece of furniture. "...but lack Faith's constant trust".

Back