Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
What make no sense it’s the most expensive line of wiim as of now and it has less feature. Every wiim release comes with typical chromecast, airplay, Spotify and tidal connect out of the box but this one is not. Roon as we all know takes time to get certified. I occasionally use this feature. Can you imagine mini has it when release and this doesn’t? It remind me what @Wiimer said before if they are silent there’s no hope.

I would like to ask the general forum since I’m getting information from website that if you use the dac/streamer as preamp you’re loosing resolution particularly low level. Is this true on ultra?
Here's one manufacture's take on it.
Linked post is about analog, press Next for digital.

WiiM should really explain what’s going on, the press release from earlier in the year clearly stated that it was coming and has now even been edited as of 2 hours ago to hide that it initially stated that AirPlay was coming.
I'm still hoping these edits could just be to reflect the current situation and to cover themselves until the feature becomes available.

But yes, would be nice to hear what's going on from @WiiM Team @WiiM Support directly

In addition to the digital volume, current state of the art DAC approaches to effective number of bits of ~20 or SINAD of ~124dB. So, digital volume control has a headroom of ~12 bits. That is a wide range; 72dB attenuation without loss. So the better a DAC is, the higher quality its digital volume control is.

I'm a bit behind with this, but didn't it disappear previously? WiiM offering something via DNLA as a workaround or something?

Sorry, I don't use AirPlay, so I've not really been keeping up.
NO. AirPlay Cast disappeared - across the entire product line. Probably due to a letter from Apple's Lawyers.

And THAT is likely why Apple is playing Hardball with WiiM over NOT Certifying the Ultra.

Does anybody think this is WiiM's Fault?? That they Don't Want to provide AirPlay??

NO. AirPlay Cast disappeared - across the entire product line. Probably due to a letter from Apple's Lawyers.

And THAT is likely why Apple is playing Hardball with WiiM over NOT Certifying the Ultra.

Does anybody think this is WiiM's Fault?? That they Don't Want to provide AirPlay??
What I don’t understand why Apple is limiting the company that want to adapt them. I guess unless your name is Sonos they are not interested. What did Sonos give to Apple?

No support for Airplay will be a dealbreaker for me. The ease of use is why I want it. If the digitaltrends article is accurate, I'll be sending my ultra back.
So, you are going to let (and aid and abet) a Mega Corporation bullying a smaller Company?? It IS Apple that is refusing to Certify the Ultra, NOT WiiM refusing to Submit the Ultra for Certification. (Probably because of the AirPlay Cast debacle...)

Not entirely sure why people are having to justify why they want a feature that was originally stated as included. For me and many others, no AirPlay is a dealbreaker and a bit of a rug-pull given the originally stated inclusion of it.

If you don’t want it, need it or care about it then cool this isn’t a problem for you. For those who did want this feature it’s a big problem and is enough for us to be unhappy.

External devices aren’t a solution; they can’t wake the device from sleep, they can’t have a properly integrated volume control and frankly it’s an unnecessary complication.

WiiM should really explain what’s going on, the press release from earlier in the year clearly stated that it was coming and has now even been edited as of 2 hours ago to hide that it initially stated that AirPlay was coming.
I agree with everything you said… except the my external device wakes the Ultra from standby through optical

So, you are going to let (and aid and abet) a Mega Corporation bullying a smaller Company?? It IS Apple that is refusing to Certify the Ultra, NOT WiiM refusing to Submit the Ultra for Certification. (Probably because of the AirPlay Cast debacle...)
So customers should buy a product that does not have features they want to satisfy your Marxist views about mega corporations?

Read many stupid things here, including mine. But that is getting a quite high chart place.

I would suggest the @WiiM Support @WiiM Team with a simple / practical solution on this Apple Airplay debacle, if Apple that is refusing to Certify the Ultra, OR WiiM refusing to Submit the Ultra for Certification for a valid reason

* Just bundle the Belkin SoundForm Connect AirPlay 2 Audio Adapter Receiver with Ultra, as an option to select for anyone who wants Airplay, add $50 to the price of Ultra

This could help the WiiM customers who are in dire need of Airplay

Can anyone confirm the maximum USB HDD capacity supported by the Ultra, and how long a scan takes on certain number of files? (I can then calculate what my collection will take)

Does the Ultra have support for Dolby Digital or has that quietly disappeared?

Maybe they know, maybe they don't.
Maybe they know and are not authorized to comment.

There is no long term customer relation strategy where staying silent is to your advantage.

If they are analysing options and collecting more info to form communication they should at least define the current problem at hand and state that they are looking into the matter and come back with their position in the next few days/weeks.

Now entire articles and forums are being filled with the info it is not supported so you are 1 loosing customers 2 will have to get rid of this misinformation if you do solve it somehow.

(For me, not expecting to ever need/use Airplay - will gladly take a non-Airplay-first-Ultra with few % discount 😜)

Does the Ultra have support for Dolby Digital or has that quietly disappeared?

DD/DTS decoding and downmixing to 2.0 / 2.1 would be useful feature, since with TV use you'll be sending TV/movie soundtracks

Asking sincerely: is this conjecture about what happened or something that was confirmed? I’m struggling to find any concrete information on this topic and if it’s true will be enough for me to abandon any further consideration of WiiM. Products losing features after purchase is not acceptable.

Largely however, I’m not particularly interested in the politics of it, I just want a preamp with the features it was initially sold as having. While I do find Apple are unnecessarily heavy handed in many things, I do find it a little unlikely that they would remove certification from something unless it didn’t comply with the standards as they were set out. If WiiM weren’t willing to comply with Apple’s standard, then they should have never listed it as a feature.

WiiM is the only one to blame here, it’s a simple failure of communication. One honest and clear press release would have helped hugely, even if it did cause customers to return their Ultras. Instead they’ve gone silent and erased all evidence, which in my opinion is problematic at best.

I agree with everything you said… except the my external device wakes the Ultra from standby through optical
That’s good to know, thanks for pointing that out.

Asking sincerely: is this conjecture about what happened or something that was confirmed? I’m struggling to find any concrete information on this topic and if it’s true will be enough for me to abandon any further consideration of WiiM. Products losing features after purchase is not acceptable.

Largely however, I’m not particularly interested in the politics of it, I just want a preamp with the features it was initially sold as having. While I do find Apple are unnecessarily heavy handed in many things, I do find it a little unlikely that they would remove certification from something unless it didn’t comply with the standards as they were set out. If WiiM weren’t willing to comply with Apple’s standard, then they should have never listed it as a feature.

WiiM is the only one to blame here, it’s a simple failure of communication. One honest and clear press release would have helped hugely, even if it did cause customers to return their Ultras. Instead they’ve gone silent and erased all evidence, which in my opinion is problematic at best.

That’s good to know, thanks for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back