Airplay2, Apple Music, Stutter and dips

yelloguy

My WiiM mini is about two weeks old with the latest firmware and latest iPhone app. I am playing Apple Music Lossless over Airplay using iPhone 15. My understanding is that Airplay2 causes the audio to be converted to compressed AAC on the fly because everything in the chain is Airplay2 compatible. I find the sound quality to be indistinguishable from playing lossless using Apple TV 4K and from a Windows PC via HDMI. However, as a song begins, it pauses for half a second right after beginning and restarts again. The audio also dips out very slightly, occasionally - and this usually happens when I am using my iPhone.

I have searched through some forums and people have reported the starting song stutter before. The problem was resolved with a firmware fix. But that was in 2023. Does anyone know if this is an ongoing problem or am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a better way to play Apple Music than using Airplay2? The only reason I bought WiiM was to use the PEQ. And frankly this is making me want to go back to the Windows PC because I have the same PEQ set up there. Would I be better off using a USB-C to headphone cable and sticking a 3.5mm jack to the WiiM mini?

Back