Amazon Free Version not available in WiiM App

JSA1971

Hello All,
Since new I can’t seem to get my Amazon Music Free subscription to work through the WiiM Home App.

When logged in and a music stream is chosen I immediately get a message asking if I’d like to sign up for Amazon Unlimited, clicking cancel doesn’t help and the message persists when trying to stream music from Amazon. The Amazon music App doesn’t have this issue.

This doesn’t happen with Spotify which allows me to stream their non-subscription stream through the WiiM Home App. Did/Does anyone else have this issue, and how have you resolved it?

Thank You

Have you tried using the amazon music app and casting to the WiiM?
I can airplay to the WiiM, but isn’t the whole point of having it available in the WiiM Home App to have your streaming in one device/app? I understand that another app “may need to be in play” but the WiiM Home App should be negotiating this.

One of the main USPs of the WiiM devices is that they allow casting from the amazon music app using alexacast. Controlling all your streaming services from one app is nothing but an unachievable pipe dream due to the less feature rich APIs that streaming services provide to third parties - that’s why Spotify and Tidal have their Connect mechanisms, why Amazon have AlexaCast and why Qobuz are developing Qobuz Connect.

I’d advise you to link to Alexa in the WiiM Home app and then try casting Amazon Music Free from there to your WiiM device. If that fails, then it’s likely that free Amazon Music isn’t supported by WiiM - either way, you can confirm its support by contacting WiiM thru the feedback section in the WiiM app.

isn’t the whole point of having it available in the WiiM Home App to have your streaming in one device/app?
No, plenty of users prefer to use the streaming provider’s native apps. Spotify doesn’t give the option.

Which device and what firmware version are you using? The latest WiiM Pro firmware update states “Fixed - Unable to play music after playing ad with Amazon Music Free”. If you are using the Mini, there may be a fix in its next firmware update.

At least the above confirms it is supported...

One of the main USPs of the WiiM devices is that they allow casting from the amazon music app using alexacast. Controlling all your streaming services from one app is nothing but an unachievable pipe dream due to the less feature rich APIs that streaming services provide to third parties - that’s why Spotify and Tidal have their Connect mechanisms, why Amazon have AlexaCast and why Qobuz are developing Qobuz Connect.

I’d advise you to link to Alexa in the WiiM Home app and then try casting Amazon Music Free from there to your WiiM device. If that fails, then it’s likely that free Amazon Music isn’t supported by WiiM - either way, you can confirm its support by contacting WiiM thru the feedback section in the WiiM app.
Thanks for your reply, I’ll try that out.

No, plenty of users prefer to use the streaming provider’s native apps. Spotify doesn’t give the option.
I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “Spotify doesn’t give that option”. I can, and am currently, airplaying directly to the WiiM Pro from the Spotify App without the WiiM Home app being used. Please explain if I’ve misunderstood.

Which device and what firmware version are you using? The latest WiiM Pro firmware update states “Fixed - Unable to play music after playing ad with Amazon Music Free”. If you are using the Mini, there may be a fix in its next firmware update.

At least the above confirms it is supported...
Hi Brantome, the fact that the new firmware states the “fix” was actually the basis of my original post. I am on the latest firmware 4.8.513047

Hi Brantome, the fact that the new firmware states the “fix” was actually the basis of my original post. I am on the latest firmware 4.8.513047
In that case, submit a ticket to WiiM saying that the fix doesn’t appear to have worked for you

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “Spotify doesn’t give that option”. I can, and am currently, airplaying directly to the WiiM Pro from the Spotify App without the WiiM Home app being used. Please explain if I’ve misunderstood.
What is meant is that Spotify don’t offer an API for Spotify to allow third parties to access Spotify from their own app - using the Spotify app and casting via its Connect casting mechanism is its preferred mode of access. That way (or using airplay or Bluetooth) gives you access to the full Spotify feature set. Third party APIs tend to be at best cut down versions of the real thing…

While waiting for WiiM to respond, I’d log out of Amazon Music in the WiiM app, reboot your WiiM Pro and your phone, then log back in to Amazon Music in the WiiM app and see if that helps. I’d also try the Amazon Music app casting I mentioned above.

While waiting for WiiM to respond, I’d log out of Amazon Music in the WiiM app, reboot your WiiM Pro and your phone, then log back in to Amazon Music in the WiiM app and see if that helps. I’d also try the Amazon Music app casting I mentioned above.
Hi Brantome, I’ve done the first 4 suggestions already to no avail. But, that doesn’t mean that another attempt wouldn’t work, I’ll have to try again later along with your other suggestion.

Spotify doesn’t allow 3rd party apps to integrate itself - must use the Spotify app. Spotty in LMS is the only integration I’m aware of, and it’s not officially supported by Spotify.

Spotify doesn’t allow 3rd party apps to integrate itself - must use the Spotify app. Spotty in LMS is the only integration I’m aware of, and it’s not officially supported by Spotify.
I’d forgotten about Spotty , maybe because it doesn’t support the free version so I don’t use it…

Received a follow up from WiiM Support…

“Amazon Music Free is not supported on the WiiM Home App. You can play Amazon Music Free through the Amazon Alexa App or Alexa Voice.”

Received a follow up from WiiM Support…

“Amazon Music Free is not supported on the WiiM Home App. You can play Amazon Music Free through the Amazon Alexa App or Alexa Voice.”
Ok, fair enough - looks like the fix they mention must only apply to playback using the amazon music app or Alexa.

What is meant is that Spotify don’t offer an API for Spotify to allow third parties to access Spotify from their own app - using the Spotify app and casting via its Connect casting mechanism is its preferred mode of access. That way (or using airplay or Bluetooth) gives you access to the full Spotify feature set. Third party APIs tend to be at best cut down versions of the real thing…
There is an API of some sort and an open source piece of code that makes use of it. That’s how LMS has Spotify integrated.
You can access from within LMS or it makes LMS players available to Spotify Connect.
I have Spotify but prefer Qobuz but in both cases I access via LMS for playing.
Once a week I use the Qobuz app to look at new releases and add some to my Qobuz favourites but then play them inside LMS.
I’m phasing out Spotify but there are other family members using it.

Yeah, had forgotten that API, but apart from LMS, I don’t think I’ve seen it used in any mainstream, big name product - Spotify Connect seems to be the interface of choice.

Back