Best sound from the Ultra.

Bikesnbeats

I’ve read running its output fixed is best. If so, does activating a fixed volume limit affect the signal the same way as using the volume control?

1726331988643.png

I’ve read running its output fixed is best. If so, does activating a fixed volume limit affect the signal the same way as using the volume control?

View attachment 11727
Yes.

Best sound from the Ultra is to use the streamer with an external dac, using the digital volumecontrol on the Ultra and connecting the external dac directly to a poweramp . No other preamp is needed .

Yes.

Best sound from the Ultra is to use the streamer with an external dac, using the digital volumecontrol on the Ultra and connecting the external dac directly to a poweramp . No other preamp is needed .
That (using the Ultra volume control) kills bit perfect.

Yes, but you need to have a volume control after that in your audio pipeline.
No you dont - the volumeregulation is in the digital domain through spdif or asynkron USB out in the ultra - before the dac .

The signal using digital volumecontrol wont be bitperfect, but you need a hell of an analog preamp to make the sound better than using the ultras digital volume control .

No you dont - the volumeregulation is in the digital domain through spdif or asynkron USB out in the ultra - before the dac .

The signal using digital volumecontrol wont be bitperfect, but you need a hell of an analog preamp to make the sound better than using the ultras digital volume control .

It all depends on what your expectations are, the sound quality you expect and how well you hear. :)

But… if one seeks the best possible sound: bit perfect out of WiiM to external DAC and from there to an analog preamp with a top notch volume control (ladder resistor best). And of course it all depends on the quality of those components in the audio pipeline. But… if all is right… :)

This is my reply to the OP who labeled the post - Best sound from the Ultra.

Last edited:
It all depends on what your expectations are, the sound quality you expect and how well you hear. :)

But… if one seeks the best possible sound: bit perfect out of WiiM to external DAC and from there to an analog preamp with a top notch volume control (ladder resistor best). And of course it all depends on the quality of those components in the audio pipeline. But… if all is right… :)

This is my reply to the OP who labeled the post - Best sound from the Ultra.
In best case - I may agree but I would test the analog preamp first .

Back