Best way to play Apple Music library?

LEZ

Going nuts :) Just want to listen to my music!

I have an Apple Music library of ripped CDs on my Mac mini.
I want to use my iPad as a Wiim control device that plays the Mac's Library to my Wiim Pro.
Right now I am copying music to the iPad using the regular backup/sync via finder. It's the easiest vis a vis playing but...

1. I want to be able to delete, or rate a track on the iPad and have that change reflect in the Mac's music library
2. I don't want all my music on the iPad I want to keep it solely on the Mac.

How are you MaxOS/iOS users doing this? Home Sharing? Using a MacOS streaming server?

There are so many different ways to do this. I just want to set it and forget it...

Thanks. Lez

While it won't do the rating or deletion, using a UPNP server like Minimserver on the Mac would be a good first step. Or perhaps even LMS if there's a Mac version playing to the Squeezelite client on your Pro/Plus

Reactions: LEZ
If you have your ripped files stored locally on your Mac mini you could check out /invest in audirvana. Install a trial on your Mac.Connect your Mac via usb with the pro plus. The latter via line out to your Amp/receiver of choice..
Audirvana will take control over your Mac and read out and automatically index your local stored files. And audirvana will also use your pro plus as its designated dac instead of the Mac mini’s one. It also provides a lot of EQ options.Download audirvana’s remote app for iPad / iPhone and you will have found the solution ,I think.
Audirvana won’t do Apple Music but will read out and index your local stored files in a designated folder. Pricing is very reasonable.
Worth trying out, perhaps? Hope this helps.
Best regards, Martin.

If you have your ripped files stored locally on your Mac mini you could check out /invest in audirvana. Install a trial on your Mac.Connect your Mac via usb with the pro plus. The latter via line out to your Amp/receiver of choice..
Audirvana will take control over your Mac and read out and automatically index your local stored files. And audirvana will also use your pro plus as its designated dac instead of the Mac mini’s one. It also provides a lot of EQ options.Download audirvana’s remote app for iPad / iPhone and you will have found the solution ,I think.
Audirvana won’t do Apple Music but will read out and index your local stored files in a designated folder. Pricing is very reasonable.
Best regards, Martin.
I'd second that as I use Audirvana with a Pro Plus. I just select the Pro Plus as the output device and stream to it from Audirvana via UNpN. I have the Pro Plus connected to an amp via RCA.

Best regards, Martin.
Thanks Martin. I have a Wiim Pro not a Pro Plus. Still applies?
Lez

I just signed up for Apple Music. How does that help?

Thanks

I just signed up for Apple Music. How does that help?

Thanks
Ok LEZ,
Sorry for the delayed response. Different time zones, work etc..... ;) Brace yourself because this is going to be a long one. :oops:
Reading the responses after my last post, It seems the Audirvana option isn't going to work with your Wiim Pro.
Regarding your apple music subscription......

First step:
Install Apple music on your Mac mini and also on your iPad.
Make sure the apple music app on all your apple devices are synchronised via ICloud
Sharing should also been activated.

Now.....the important bit. Make sure your ripped files are compatible with apple music ( I don't think flac's are suported)
AAC (lossy) and ALAC (lossless) are .... obviously.

Within Apple Music on your mac you can import and store your ripped files into a designated folder within your library.
You can edit, shuffle, rename track's and even change cover/album art by right clicking and pressing Info on each individual file.

The Library you create will be updatet to all your devices because they all synchronise via iCloud.
Use your Mac mini as a master for all the heavy lifting/editing and now comes the fun stuff.

You can use your Ipad as a permanent touch/control panel conected to your WiiM Pro.
You need:
1: A very cheap apple dongle dac( usb-C to 3,5mm headphone jack (female) (See uploaded picture)
2: RCA cable (RCA to 3,5 mm (male) jack of the appropriate length.
3: Optional: Ipad stand or Apple Magic Keyboard.
4: Optional : Bluetooth mouse (without separate dongle)

Thus....Apple dongle dac goes into your iPad's usb-c port. The 3,5 mm jack of the RCA cables goes into the that dongle.
The RCA plus and minus end of the cable will go into the line in port of your WiiM Pro. Line out of your Wiim Pro goes to your line in of your amp/receiver.

With this set up you will use your Wiim Pro's internal dac which is way better than the Ipad's internal dac.
In apple music on your iPad you need to select the apple dongle/wiim pro as the output source. (set once and forget)
Also set in the setting menu of the Apple Music app on the Ipad the desired lossless or lossy resolution.
Now you can stream all your music (ripped files and streaming content from apple music
in high resolution via your WiiM Pro to your amp/receiver.

Pros and Cons?
It's probably the only way (that I know of) to stream high res music from Apple Music without beiing restricted to using airplay.
Using your WiiM Pro is a bit of overkill because you only use the internal dac. You don't use any of it's streaming capabilitys.
But the Wimm's dac is way better compared to the dongle dac from apple, so it is still a good choice.
Powering your iPad: Because modern Ipads only have 1 usb-c port you will have to carefully manage the power consumption of the iPad.
This is why I mentioned the Apple Magic Keyboard. I have used such a set up in the past. The Apple Magic Keyboard has a extra usb-c port to power the Ipad while connected. That leaves you the free usb-c port on your Ipad to plug in the apple dongle dac etc.
This way you can use this combo as a semi permanent solution. A bluetooth mouse connected to your Ipad makes it possible to navigate and change volume on you Ipad within the comfort of your listening position.

Best regards,
Martin.

Attachments

• IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Thanks Martin. Excellent clear instructions. Let me think this thru!. Lez

Back