Beta Test: USB Output (Feature now publicly available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received mine today. I was relieved when I turned it on and a firmware update came through enabling USB output, which is the reason I bought the Ultra.

However, something is not quite right with the USB signal. Outputting from the WiiM Ultra to my Raspberry Pi, camilladsp-setrate isn't detecting sample rate changes when they occur.

To make sure it wasn't something wrong with the Raspberry Pi, I moved my USB cable from the WiiM Ultra over to my laptop and streamed Tidal from there. Streaming from the laptop to the Raspberry Pi, camilladsp-setrate detects the sample rate changes without any issues.

If I can't get the USB output working with camilladsp-setrate, I'll be returning the unit and reverting back to my WiiM Pro Plus.
Why would you feed the WiiM into the Pi? Pretty sure the USB output is for DACs.

Last edited:
No. CamillaDSP applies FIR and IIR filters. It also can do mixing, and all kinds of other stuff.

Camilladsp-setrate is used to monitor the USB input, detect the sample rate, and adjust CamillaDSP for the incoming sample rate.

My use case is that Tidal does not stream all music at the sample rate. One song may come at 192kHz, and the next song may come at 44.1kHz, depending on the sample rate used for the recording. When the sample rate changes, CamillaDSP needs to change accordingly. That is the purpose of Camilladsp-setrate.

For some reason, Camilladsp-setrate is not detecting sample rate changes in the WiiM's USB output. If I stream from my laptop into my Raspberry Pi, it works fine, though. I speculate that something is missing from the WiiM's USB implementation.

UPDATE: The WiiM USB output is working properly and is working with camilladsp-setrate. The issue I had was due to a very large CamillaDSP configuration file.

Here is a link to camilladsp-setrate:

Last edited:
detect the sample rate, and adjust CamillaDSP for the incoming sample rate.
Wondering what this mean exactly?
Honestly curious, not baiting!
i.e. what is done differently to/with different incoming sample rates?
I'm assuming DSP of some sort, naturally...

The Ultra can be configured to to use a fixed output resolution instead of being bit perfect, so it would upsample everything to say 192 kHz 24 bit. Not sure if this is even intended to work with USB out.

The PEQ features of the Ultra (per channel PEQ coming in August) is not good enough to mimic what you're doing with CamillaDSP?

The Ultra can be configured to to use a fixed output resolution instead of being bit perfect, so it would upsample everything to say 192 kHz 24 bit. Not sure if this is even intended to work with USB out.

The PEQ features of the Ultra (per channel PEQ coming in August) is not good enough to mimic what you're doing with CamillaDSP?
Can't choose a fixed resolution for any ultra outputs atm.
Maximum can be chosen for coax and optical, but no such options at all for usb.

Not sitting in front of my Ultra, I'm starting to talk nonsense, immediately. :)

Last edited:
If that can be configured to work for any of the digital outputs that solves my problem! I only need USB output for camilladsp-setrate to work. But, if the WiiM can be configured to upsample and consistently output a 192kHz sample rate, camilladsp will work without camilladsp-setrate.

Currently, though, none of my WiiMs seem to be able to upsample.

For example, if I set my WiiM's sample rate to 192 kHz, but Tidal streams a song at 44.1kHz, all of my WiiMs output 44.1 kHz, not 192 kHz.

There is a new fixed resolution setting available for both spdif outputs which allows to upsample when necessary. It's not yet available for the Ultra.

There is a new fixed resolution setting available for both spdif outputs which allows to upsample when necessary. It's not yet available for the Ultra.
Is this currently available on any of the WiiMs?

I'm looking at the settings for my Pro Plus. The sample rate selection looks the same as it did previously, and there is no selectable option to implement upsampling.

In all of my testing so far, my WiiMs will downsample to a specified sample rate, but not upsample. In other words, the selected sample rate is a maximum, not a constant.

Once upsampling is enabled so that my WiiM will consistently output the same sample rate, even when the sample rate from Tidal changes, my problem is solved.

UPDATE: Problem is solved using SPDIF on my Wiim Pro Plus with the information below provided by onlyoneme.

Last edited:
Is this currently available on any of the WiiMs?

I'm looking at the settings for my Pro Plus. The sample rate selection looks the same as it did previously, and there is no selectable option to implement upsampling.

In all of my testing so far, my WiiMs will downsample to a specified sample rate, but not upsample. In other words, the selected sample rate is a maximum, not a constant.

Once upsampling is enabled so that my WiiM will consistently output the same sample rate, even when the sample rate from Tidal changes, my problem is solved.
It's from my Pro:
Screenshot_20240730-164654.png

Why would one want to transcode (up or down) bit perfect streams? There are DACs who are capable of doing oversampling preserving the original samples, but not all do it.

When I first setup my system, WiiM had no PEQ, which is why I implemented CamillaDSP. Then WiiM introduced 3 EQ settings, and later 10 EQ settings. These are improvements I applaud WiiM for making. Their customer support is phenomenal!!!

Even with 10 PEQ settings per channel, it will not be as robust as CamillaDSP. CamillaDSP will let you setup as many PEQ settings as you like, and also allows you to use FIR convolution files, which is a great feature. It really simplifies room correction.

CamillaDSP also lets you setup multiple configurations selectable with the touch of an icon. That has been extremely useful for my tuning. I can tune to various target curves, and do A, B, C comparisons in real time to determine which tuning I like best. Also, many older recordings that were recorded for vinyl are lacking in bass. I have a configuration setup with bass boost that I use for those recordings.

Still, there is much more CamillaDSP can do, and those are just some of the features that I use.

Last edited:
Once "Fixed Resolution" is available for my WiiM Ultra, and I hope they make it available for USB, I will be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back