Beta Test: Samba

Even just using \\ipaddress\media
gave the same error
Admittedly I only tried with the valid IP address, but a missing share generated a different error message to an incorrect share.
Any weird characters in the name?
Checked auth.log?

Might be worth enabling samba logging.

Last edited:
Admittedly I only tried with the valid IP address, but a missing share generated a different error message to an incorrect share.
Any weird characters in the name?
Checked auth.log?
I tried both the IP address and the name and both gave the same error. When I used the wrong host name the error was different. What error do you get if you use the wrong username or password? The full path is
\\ipaddress\media\usb-drive\MyMusic
Actually thinking about it now the shared folder may be
\\ipaddress\media\usb-drive
I'll try that later.

If you are able to post your config, it may help others compare with their settings:
/etc/samba/smbd.conf
Looking at smb.conf the shared folder is usb-drive and not MyMusic so I'll try that. Also the slashes are forward slashes
/media/usb-drive
so maybe I'm getting that wrong as well.

Looking at smb.conf the shared folder is usb-drive and not MyMusic so I'll try that. Also the slashes are forward slashes
/media/usb-drive
It would still help to see the config if you can. Samba has LOTS of settings which can deny access. Slashes are forward in Unix and backward in windows.

Try \\192.168.1.1 (your IP address) from a windows device to see all the shares and use this info.

I'm travelling for the next 2 days so probably can't help much more.

It would still help to see the config if you can. Samba has LOTS of settings which can deny access. Slashes are forward in Unix and backward in windows.

Try \\192.168.1.1 (your IP address) from a windows device to see all the shares and use this info.

I'm travelling for the next 2 days so probably can't help much more.
I am currently away from home as well.

/media/usb-drive
If it's working in Windows and Freefilesync then the share is likely correct.

I created a share purely to test this feature so everything is stock, with a definition of:
Code:
[music]
path = /media/SMBTest
read only = yes
guest ok = no
browseable = yes

The error messages generated by WiiM (with all other fields correct):

Wrong IPInvalid Directory or Connection Failed (if not a host offering samba)
Correct IP with wrong shareInvalid Directory
Wrong usernameAccess Denied, Please Enter Username or Password
Wrong passwordLogin Failed, Username or Password Incorrect

I'm quite surprised about the last 2 messages, surely that's a security risk.

If it's working in Windows and Freefilesync then the share is likely correct.

I created a share purely to test this feature so everything is stock, with a definition of:
Code:
[music]
path = /media/SMBTest
read only = yes
guest ok = no
browseable = yes

The error messages generated by WiiM (with all other fields correct):

Wrong IPInvalid Directory or Connection Failed (if not a host offering samba)
Correct IP with wrong shareInvalid Directory
Wrong usernameAccess Denied, Please Enter Username or Password
Wrong passwordLogin Failed, Username or Password Incorrect

I'm quite surprised about the last 2 messages, surely that's a security risk.
When you entered that share in the WiiM app did you use forward slashes?

I need to tell it what computer the share is on, so:
\\ip of rpi\sharename

EDIT: The sharename ( [music] in my case ) you specify in smb.conf
Finally got it. I didn't realise that I didn't need to put the path in as it is specified in SMB.conf. So as you say just the host name and the share name and I'm in 👍

Hi!
I can successfully add and browse a SMB share via the Wiim Home app. This means the share name and the credentials I entered in the app are valid. However, when it comes to playing the files, I can see the app skipping over the one I selected and all the following ones in the same folder. On the SMB server log, I can see messages like this:

Code:
create_connection_session_info: guest user (from session setup) not permitted to access this share (media)
create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

one for each file that has been skipped.

Both my phone's and the Wiim Pro's IP addresses - as well as my PC's - are on the SMB server's Allow List. I can browse and play everything on my PC from the SMB share without any issues. The credentials I use from the PC are the same as the ones I entered in the Wiim Home app for the same share.

Looks like the Wiim Pro is not using the creds I set when setting up the shared folder via the Wiim Home app. Otherwise, why would the error message mention "guest user"?

I have raised a support ticket via the app for this issue, but if any of you has got any idea on how to fix it, please share it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
While checking on a Samba share to answer a question on FB, I notice that my shares on my Synology NAS and Raspberry PI show the folders in random order. Am I imagining things or did it (or should it) display the folders in at least alphabetical order?

I have it ordered. There's the setting in advanced SMB settings of Synology to use alphabetical order by default instead of a random one.

I have it ordered. There's the setting in advanced SMB settings of Synology to use alphabetical order by default instead of a random one.
Thanks. Maybe it’s always been unordered for me and I haven’t noticed as I didn’t intend to use it seriously…

It's unchecked by default as not needed usually when the client sorts the content itself.
Well, looks like WiiM’s client doesn’t so I’d maybe expect more questions around this. Thanks again

Back