Beta Test: USB Output (Feature now publicly available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received my Ultra over the weekend and within hours submitted my request to join the USB Output Beta Test group. I'm checking email hourly. I don't know how I misread the pre-release communication about USB Out functionality being a roadmap item, not an out of box feature.

Received my Ultra over the weekend and within hours submitted my request to join the USB Output Beta Test group. I'm checking email hourly. I don't know how I misread the pre-release communication about USB Out functionality being a roadmap item, not an out of box feature.

The latest public firmware has USB out...

In the WiiM app:

1. Select settings for your WiiM (gear icon).
2. Select "Device Info".
3. Select "Check for Updates".

The latest public firmware has USB out...

Thanks. If that's the case, any thoughts on how to force an update? My Ultra doesn't think there's a new one available. I'm familiar with the sequence that Terry suggested above.

20240731_143543.jpg

Not finding USB Out as an option in the iPad app or on the WiiM Ultra device menu. Any suggested next steps would be appreciated.

20240731_154356 low.jpg
20240731_154620 low.jpg

I'm not seeing anything mentioned about USB Out in the firmware logs

I'm not seeing anything mentioned about USB Out in the firmware logs
Look here instead:

You must connect the DAC first, it must be powered and it must have the USB input active.

Thanks very much! That did it.

Although I would add that I also had to power cycle the Ultra and even then the USB wasn't selectable until I actually played a song and used the output selector at the bottom of the song page in the app (I'm using Amazon Music, if that matters). VERY specific course of action here.

Doubt that I would have had the patience to run through that troubleshooting on my own. Hopefully, others will find this thread and save themselves a few hours/days. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Is there merit of adding more opa yield better snr? I ask because I have noticed as you go higher more expensive dac they add more opa. Or this a show telling the buyer why they paying more?

Is there merit of adding more opa yield better snr? I ask because I have noticed as you go higher more expensive dac they add more opa. Or this a show telling the buyer why they paying more?
In audio, oftentimes price does not correlate with performance. Checkout the DAC reviews at Audio Science Review.

Thanks very much! That did it.

Although I would add that I also had to power cycle the Ultra and even then the USB wasn't selectable until I actually played a song and used the output selector at the bottom of the song page in the app (I'm using Amazon Music, if that matters). VERY specific course of action here.

Doubt that I would have had the patience to run through that troubleshooting on my own. Hopefully, others will find this thread and save themselves a few hours/days. Thanks again for the recommendations.
I did not have to do any of those steps. Just had to have the USB connected to the DAC first obviously so the WiiM can recognize it.

I just connected my Ultra today. I was able to select the USB, but it will only play tracks from Tidal and Qobuz at CD-quality (16/44.1) sampling rates. If I play a track at a higher resolution, my DAC recognizes the rate but there is no sound. The Wiim app shows the track as stuttering (it will skip a few seconds), then it stops, perhaps stutters again, then stops and won't play. If I try playing another CD-quality track it will play that, but no luck with anything of a higher resolution. I am using a Schiit Yggdrasil+ GS2 DAC. Has anyone else experienced this, or is your USB output successfully playing high-res tracks?

I just connected my Ultra today. I was able to select the USB, but it will only play tracks from Tidal and Qobuz at CD-quality (16/44.1) sampling rates. If I play a track at a higher resolution, my DAC recognizes the rate but there is no sound. The Wiim app shows the track as stuttering (it will skip a few seconds), then it stops, perhaps stutters again, then stops and won't play. If I try playing another CD-quality track it will play that, but no luck with anything of a higher resolution. I am using a Schiit Yggdrasil+ GS2 DAC. Has anyone else experienced this, or is your USB output successfully playing high-res tracks?
My USB is fine playing higher rates. Did you configure the output rate for USB in the WiiM Output settings?

My USB is fine playing higher rates. Did you configure the output rate for USB in the WiiM Output settings?
I don't think that option is available yet for the ultra.
Or at least, it wasn't on my android app a couple of days ago.
Maybe there for the amp?

There isn't any setting for the USB output rate in my app. That is only available for coax and optical. The app only allows USB to be chosen as the output. I tried a different DAC and also a different USB cable but it still only plays at CD quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back