Beta Test: USB Output (Feature now publicly available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't any setting for the USB output rate in my app. That is only available for coax and optical. The app only allows USB to be chosen as the output. I tried a different DAC and also a different USB cable but it still only plays at CD quality.

What is your hi-res source?

What is your hi-res source?
I'm playing Tidal and Qobuz tracks. When I play a track streaming at CD quality (16/44.1) it plays fine but when I play a hi-res track that is 24 bits, either 88.1, 96 or 192, it won't play. The player shows the sampling rate but no sound comes out and the time counter will skip to like 15 or 20 seconds then stop. If I go to another 16 bit track then it will start playing, but no 24 bit will play. I tried a different DAC and a different USB cable, same thing happens.

I'm playing Tidal and Qobuz tracks. When I play a track streaming at CD quality (16/44.1) it plays fine but when I play a hi-res track that is 24 bits, either 88.1, 96 or 192, it won't play. The player shows the sampling rate but no sound comes out and the time counter will skip to like 15 or 20 seconds then stop. If I go to another 16 bit track then it will start playing, but no 24 bit will play. I tried a different DAC and a different USB cable, same thing happens.
Are you playing Qobuz using in the WiiM app or Qobuz actual native app?

Are you playing Qobuz using in the WiiM app or Qobuz actual native app?
Qobuz using the Wiim app. It is one of the selections under Browse, and I just choose it (same thing for Tidal). It takes me to the login page, I log in, then it returns me to the app and I select the songs from within the Wiim app.

Qobuz using the Wiim app. It is one of the selections under Browse, and I just choose it (same thing for Tidal). It takes me to the login page, I log in, then it returns me to the app and I select the songs from within the Wiim app.
Can you give the firmware version and app version? Is this iOS or android?

Ok. Thanks for answering my question drill. I was expecting that you were using Qobuz native app as we know that the current chromecasting has problems.

Direct from the WiiM app Qobuz plays perfectly all rates up to 192kHz/24. It works for me in 3 different DACs. Can it be in your case a bad USB cable? Did I miss the DAC brand you use.

Can you give the firmware version and app version? Is this iOS or android?
The Wiim app version is 2.10.7.24072314 and the firmware version is 5.2.625360, build date 20240805. When I check for updates, it says it is up to date (which it should be since I just installed it today and it did the update during setup).

Ok. Thanks for answering my question drill. I was expecting that you were using Qobuz native app as we know that the current chromecasting has problems.

Direct from the WiiM app Qobuz plays perfectly all rates up to 192kHz/24. It works for me in 3 different DACs. Can it be in your case a bad USB cable? Did I miss the DAC brand you use.
I am using a Schiit Yggdrasil+ GS2, and I also tried it with a Schiit Bifrost, same result. And I used a different cable, same result. Thanks for trying to help!

The Wiim app version is 2.10.7.24072314 and the firmware version is 5.2.625360, build date 20240805. When I check for updates, it says it is up to date (which it should be since I just installed it today and it did the update during setup).
All good with those re usb out rates.

I am using a Schiit Yggdrasil+ GS2, and I also tried it with a Schiit Bifrost, same result. And I used a different cable, same result. Thanks for trying to help!

I use those too. Is your cable a basic USB2 USB-a to USB-b?

Do a factory reset and if that fail send message via wiim app so they can look your log. They will let you know if you have defective product and replace it.

I use those too. Is your cable a basic USB2 USB-a to USB-b?
Yes, USB A to B, 2.0. I just bought it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0FO1P0
I also tried an older cable and had the same problem. Do you think maybe the USB output is defective on the Ultra? I did a support ticket and am waiting to hear what Wiim has to say about it. I'm mystified!
Cable should be fine. While you try to play Qobuz do send a feedback message to WiiM describing the issue. Ultra through Unison is quite good.

Do a factory reset and if that fail send message via wiim app so they can look your log. They will let you know if you have defective product and replace it.
I did a factory reset and also rebooted, but that didn't help.

Cable should be fine. While you try to play Qobuz do send a feedback message to WiiM describing the issue. Ultra through Unison is quite good.
I did open a support ticket so I hope to hear back soon. Actually my Yggy has the Gen5 USB. I didn't do the Unison, but was going to get that upgrade until this USB problem arose.

Since you tried many different dac and cable you may have gotten a defective unit.
I'm thinking maybe that is what happened. Coax and optical work fine at any sampling rate but the USB hi-res is messed up. I don't know if it makes a difference but I just now submitted feedback through the app (I had done a support ticket via the web site earlier). At least the feedback included the log with it so maybe that will help. Thank you for your help!

I did open a support ticket so I hope to hear back soon. Actually my Yggy has the Gen5 USB. I didn't do the Unison, but was going to get that upgrade until this USB problem arose.
I do not know about gen 5. That could be the issue. WiiM’s usb might have some incompatibility. Ask Schiit.

Have you tried the gs2 usb input from another source like a computer usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back