Browse by folder stopped working

Andy Borrows

First post here - I bought the Amp back at the start of the year, and everything has been great so far... until a couple of days ago, when browse by folder stopped working. I use the Amp almost exclusively to stream from my NAS (QNAP TS231, using the default DLNA media server) and as at least half of my music is classical, browsing by folder is by the far the most sensible way to organise stuff. I first noticed it after taking the latest firmware update (20/8/24), but I can't place my hand on my heart and say it was definitely working immediately prior to that. I uploaded a bunch more files the previous day, and I had noticed that building the folder list seemed to be taking a lot longer the more files I added. It's not a huge library by any means - about 10,000 files in 1,100 folders. I tried rebuilding the server media database, but that made no difference. What makes me suspect that it's a WiiM issue rather than a server issue is that my TV can browse by folder okay, and the Amp can browse by other parameters (I have the server set for artist and genre as well as folder) without any problem.

Any ideas?

Can your TV browse by other indexes e.g. Artist/Genre? Just checking if it's using the media server or a SMB share.

Try browsing your media server with BubbleUPnP/mconnect to determine if it's a server or control point issue.

Can your TV browse by other indexes e.g. Artist/Genre? Just checking if it's using the media server or a SMB share.

Try browsing your media server with BubbleUPnP/mconnect to determine if it's a server or control point issue.
Yes, the TV can browse by folder, artist and genre. I've just installed Bubble UPnP and my Android phone (and also BubbleUPnP server on my laptop) and the phone can browse by the same parameters. What is that telling me? (although I'm reasonably IT literate I'm not up to speed with this stuff!)

Try browsing your media server with BubbleUPnP/mconnect to determine if it's a server or control point issue

Yes, the TV can browse by folder, artist and genre. I've just installed Bubble UPnP and my Android phone (and also BubbleUPnP server on my laptop) and the phone can browse by the same parameters. What is that telling me? (although I'm reasonably IT literate I'm not up to speed with this stuff!)
Ok to summarise, both the TV and BubbleUPnP can browse by Folder AND Artist/Genre, but the WiiM Home app when browsing via Home Music Share is only showing Artist/Genre e.t.c. The Folder browsing (or whatever the index is called) doesn't even appear below/above the Artist/Genre indexes?

The control point (WHA/BubbleUPnP/TV) simply displays the data it receives from the server, which is a representation of your music collection given the tags it has read from your files, it shouldn't (and in my experience doesn't) make any decisions about what to display, so the content should be exactly the same as every other control point (assuming it's not buggy). I'm stumped.

Could you post a screenshot of the WHA after you've selected your media server from Home Music Share.

Thanks - three screenshots attached. The first shows the three available indexes - by artist, genre and folder, the next is a couple of steps down the folder tree showing top level folder I want to use (FLAC - I ripped all my CDs as FLAC files after I'd got the WiiM) and the last is the result of waiting for a couple of minutes for the WHA to return something.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240827_134029_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240827_134029_WiiM Home.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240827_134048_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240827_134048_WiiM Home.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240827_134204_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240827_134204_WiiM Home.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 6
and the last is the result of waiting for a couple of minutes for the WHA to return something.
I assume/hope it didn't take the TV or BubbleUPnP a couple of minutes to return results from the FLAC folder? How many folders sit under FLAC?

The results from the server are paged (2000 per request) so I would expect results to display pretty quickly.

There are a total of 541 folders under FLAC, in two levels - artist and album. The TV and BubbleUPnP both return a folder list pretty much instantly. Still no joy with the WiiM... All very odd.

It looks like something in this request is causing the app to fail (not the volume though), maybe until it exceeds a timeout.

It might be worth trying MinimServer to see if it's something in the metadata.

Apart from that all you can do is to send feedback through the app (Settings > Send us feedback).

Very strange!

Ok, this is weird. It seems to be something about the definition of the media folder on the server. Still not working properly, but at least making changes there is having an effect. Now at the point where I need to reset everything and rebuild the database once more. Thanks, simbun, for your help!

Back