Buzzing/Humming when using Phono Input

alucas92

I am having an issue when using the phono input on my new WiiM Ultra. No matter how I connect my turntable there is a persistent buzzing/humming noise.

Do not believe it is a problem with the turntable or RCA with ground cable, as when I connect though my old preamp and use the line in input on the ultra instead it disappears completely. I ensured my cartridge is moving magnet and the correct setting is selected.

Also confident it is not a ground issue: I even tried having the RCA cables plugged in to the old preamp (then to ultra line in) and the ground portion to the ultra ground, that came out perfectly silent. However, doing vice-versa (ultra phono input and old preamp ground) the buzzing/humming comes back.

Incredibly frustrated as one of the main reasons I spent more for the ultra was for the phono input and eliminate the old preamp from my setup, any help will be greatly appreciated 🙏

I am way out of my lane here since I have not done much phono listening for a long time, but you stated in your post… “However, doing vice-versa (ultra phono input and old preamp ground) the buzzing/humming comes back.” Would it be correct to use ultra phono input and ultra ground?

I am way out of my lane here since I have not done much phono listening for a long time, but you stated in your post… “However, doing vice-versa (ultra phono input and old preamp ground) the buzzing/humming comes back.” Would it be correct to use ultra phono input and ultra ground?
So that is the very first thing I tried, the ultra phono in and ultra ground. The point I was making with that section was that any possible configuration I try to use the ultra phono in input, the buzzing/humming will be present

I think your testing points to an issue on the WiiM over the RCA inputs specifically in phono mode.

I think your testing points to an issue on the WiiM over the RCA inputs specifically in phono mode.
Exactly. But digging in the settings on the unit itself or on the phone app, there doesn't seem to be something I can change to make the issue go away. So at this point I'm stuck, it's either a software issue or the unit I received is defective

Do your phono cables really fit the Utra's case? Are they tightly connected and all the way in?

Do your phono cables really fit the Utra's case? Are they tightly connected and all the way in?
You’d hope this wasn’t possible but I do recall issues with the inputs on the original Pro where the case wasn’t recessed sufficiently

They seem to be, just to be sure I tried a spare RCA with ground cable I had lying around. Maybe it's a little bit better with this one? But the buzzing still persists

They seem to be, just to be sure I tried a spare RCA with ground cable I had lying around. Maybe it's a little bit better with this one? But the buzzing still persists
So, your turntable has a detachable signal and ground cable? Maybe to further fuel everybody's thoughts could you provide the make and type of the turntable and external phono pre-amp?

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo (Sumiko Rainer cartridge) [and yes, the RCA/ground cable is detachable]
External Phono Pre-Amp: Pyle PP999

So to reiterate:
Turntable -> Pyle -> Ultra line-in input = silence
Turntable -> Ultra phono-in input = buzzing
The above is true regardless of the multiple RCA cables I've tried along the way in either configuration

My hope with the Ultra was to eliminate the Pyle and have better audio quality with a direct connection from the turntable, I'm sure you can imagine my frustration when this isn't proving to be the case 😭

That’s a US cartridge which I don’t think is sold over this side of the pond? Is there anything unusual about its output rating?
Over here a Carbon Debut would have a 2M Red or the new Pick-it Pro (also an Ortofon)

What cartridges have people used with the Ultra successfully?

You’d hope this wasn’t possible but I do recall issues with the inputs on the original Pro where the case wasn’t recessed sufficiently
Oh, it's possible.... :(

Edit: to be clear, I can't get 3 of my sets of RCA cables to fit in the line out recess.
Naturally, the supplied ones fit fine.

I even tried having the RCA cables plugged in to the old preamp (then to ultra line in) and the ground portion to the ultra ground, that came out perfectly silent.
Let's start again from here.

With this silent setup, does pulling the ground adapter supplied with it from the Ultra introduce the humming and buzzing?
- If yes, the Ultra's ground connection is working fine
- If no, we have a bit of a miracle going on

Did you use the WiiM supplied RCA cables to connect the Pyle PP999 to the Ultra?
- If yes, pick these for the next experiment
- If no, get those exact cables out of the cable bin

Use the WiiM RCA cables to connect your Debut Carbon Evo to the Ultra and use whatever separate run of cable you have available to just connect the ground srews on the TT and the Ultra. You can take any of your cables with a ground wire as long as you just use this ground wire.

What is the result?

You probably guessed it, just like @Mr Ee and @d6jg I am still wondering if the other RCA plugs are really making full contact with sockets on the Ultra. The WiiM cables can do that for sure. Phono type is set to MM, right?

@d6jg , there's nothing special about the Rainier. It's sold worldwide as a separate item.

So far I've been trying the Ultra's phono stage with an Audio-Technica VM540ML (Rega P6) and Denon DL-110 (NAD branded Rega P2). So Rega turntables in both cases, where chassis ground is connected to the left signal ground internally.

With this silent setup, does pulling the ground adapter supplied with it from the Ultra introduce the humming and buzzing?
No, I can switch the ground portion of the cable either way (so turntable -> Pyle or turntable -> Ultra) and it stays silent.
Did you use the WiiM supplied RCA cables to connect the Pyle PP999 to the Ultra?
Yes
Use the WiiM RCA cables to connect your Debut Carbon Evo to the Ultra and use whatever separate run of cable you have available to just connect the ground screws on the TT and the Ultra. You can take any of your cables with a ground wire as long as you just use this ground wire.

What is the result?
So, I used the provided RCA cable with the Ultra and went from turntable to phono in. I then used the spare RCA with ground cable (but only the ground portion) from turntable to ultra ground.

It got better for sure, but the buzzing is still present. I really tried pushing the ends of the cables in as much as possible but I think this is the best it will be. Even tried another ground cable to be sure but its the same result.

Now where it's gets weird... while testing all this, if I place my hand on the side of the metal chassis of the ultra the buzzing goes down to a minimum. So not completely quiet, but definitely the best I've gotten so far. I messed with the ground adapter a bit more but there's really no other way to attach the ground and insert it into the unit

I figured giving this a shot cause why not, but I attached the end of the ground cable from the turntable to a screw on the back of the amplifier, its the quietest I've gotten it so far using the phono input. Now I'm thinking it may be a ground issue again, but still doesn't make sense when turntable -> Pyle -> ultra is perfectly silent

No, I can switch the ground portion of the cable either way (so turntable -> Pyle or turntable -> Ultra) and it stays silent.
I really meant you to just pull the ground adapter (and not connect ground anywhere else) from the Ultra with this setup:
Signal cables: Project TT >> Pyle phono pre >> Ultra Line-in
Ground cable: Project TT >> Ultra ground plug

It's still very confusing but I'd like to find out if the ground socket of the Ultra is connected correctly inside the Ultra.

... but I attached the end of the ground cable from the turntable to a screw on the back of the amplifier ...
Amplifier refers to what device in this case? A power amplifier? Connected to the Ultra via line-out >> line-in?

So in this case the turntable ground wire is connected to nothing? And it's still silent?
No this was with turntable ground connected to ultra ground. If I disconnect ground from the ultra I get the typical buzz you'd expect without ground being connected.

Back