Buzzing/Humming when using Phono Input

in the Ultra package you found an accessory to connect to the Wiim chassis to connect the ground of the turntable ... and that's it, you have to connect your turntable and that's it. If you then connect the Wiim to the ground of your amp you create ground loops ... which can generate hums
I have not added a second ground from the ultra to my amp. I have one ground from my turntable to the ground connection of my Yamaha integrated amp. I have not used the ground accessory that came with the ultra. No buzzing/humming issues. You posted an earlier comment indicating it was mandatory to use the ground connection of your phono input and not other ground connections. Is this for a specific reason I may not be aware of is why I was asking. Again, with my current grounding I have no buzzing issues with the phono stage.

I have not added a second ground from the ultra to my amp. I have one ground from my turntable to the ground connection of my Yamaha integrated amp. I have not used the ground accessory that came with the ultra. No buzzing/humming issues. You posted an earlier comment indicating it was mandatory to use the ground connection of your phono input and not other ground connections. Is this for a specific reason I may not be aware of is why I was asking. Again, with my current grounding I have no buzzing issues with the phono stage.
I wanted to point out that you have to use the phono input ground that you are using (Yamaha phono input Yamaha ground, Ohono Wiim input Wiim ground, External phono input "x" External phono ground... it has always been like this...

I wanted to point out that you have to use the phono input ground that you are using (Yamaha phono input Yamaha ground, Ohono Wiim input Wiim ground, External phono input "x" External phono ground... it has always been like this...
Ok thanks for pointing that out. Since I’m not experiencing any grounding issues in my current configuration, is there any risk to my equipment if left in the current state?

Quick update, I ordered a second Wiim from Amazon to check if it was the individual unit but the new one has the same phono noise issues, so I will return it. I'll keep the original and just have to keep using an external phono stage but I'm still none the wiser as to why the inbuilt phono doesn't want to play ball. I'll just have to put it down to the Wiim being too sensitive and there is something in my setup that it just can't handle.

Quick update, I ordered a second Wiim from Amazon to check if it was the individual unit but the new one has the same phono noise issues, so I will return it. I'll keep the original and just have to keep using an external phono stage but I'm still none the wiser as to why the inbuilt phono doesn't want to play ball. I'll just have to put it down to the Wiim being too sensitive and there is something in my setup that it just can't handle.
I've already decided to live with it. I rarely listen to vinyl anyway, one side of an LP is enough before I start tracking the streamed version next to it and realise it's not worth turning it over 😅 At some point I'll invest the time to track the problem down, just not yet. No way am I returning the Ultra, maybe it's the default dac filter setting + lots of audiophile placebo but I'm sure there's more detail, can hear backing vocals that I haven't before, and it just sounds lush (as we say in Wales). Anyways I'm in love with it, and it already has a pet name in our house.

My issue that I just found out today(and yet another issue with the Ultra that I'm unfortunately having) is that when using a turntable plugged into the Ultra's phono input, I had no buzzing/hum. This table doesn't have a grounding issue anyway so need to use the Ultra's grounding plug(which however inserted into the Ultra). However today I used a different turntable, that is using a different phono and that is grounded with that phono. That phono was using the Ultra's Line In. And I got a lot of buzzing/hum. When I attempted to ground using the Ultra's ground, the problem persisted. Only when I removed the Ultra from the system completely did the problem stop and the table was quiet again.

FWIW, the Ultra was sitting on top of the preamp that the second table is connected to.

I'm getting the feeling the Ultra is going to be returned soon.

However today I used a different turntable, that is using a different phono and that is grounded with that phono. That phono was using the Ultra's Line In. And I got a lot of buzzing/hum. When I attempted to ground using the Ultra's ground, the problem persisted.
Sounds clearly like this setup created a ground loop, since the Ultra's phono input isn't even used. This could happen with any additional device. Go figure.

My issue that I just found out today(and yet another issue with the Ultra that I'm unfortunately having) is that when using a turntable plugged into the Ultra's phono input, I had no buzzing/hum. This table doesn't have a grounding issue anyway so need to use the Ultra's grounding plug(which however inserted into the Ultra). However today I used a different turntable, that is using a different phono and that is grounded with that phono. That phono was using the Ultra's Line In. And I got a lot of buzzing/hum. When I attempted to ground using the Ultra's ground, the problem persisted. Only when I removed the Ultra from the system completely did the problem stop and the table was quiet again.

FWIW, the Ultra was sitting on top of the preamp that the second table is connected to.

I'm getting the feeling the Ultra is going to be returned soon.
That's not a issue with the Ultra phono input though? My line in is silent (I have a Denon tuner connected).
If I connect my tt to my yamaha phono input I an hear a bit of noise when I turn the vol up, if I then connect the TT to a phono preamp which is then connected to a line in on either the Yamaha or the Ultra I can hear a bit of noise.
Neither of these two setups though are as noisy as the phono input on the Ultra.

I had a noise like that too…..take a look at #30
In my case it was the Ethernet adapter. You must now search for what it is in your case
I raised a ticket, unsurprisingly a reboot didn't solve the problem. Attached clip of the sound the Yamaha is at around 12 o'clock volume control which is around 85dB listening volume.
View attachment 10971

I had a noise like that too…..take a look at #30
In my case it was the Ethernet adapter. You must now search for what it is in your case
Yes I read that. Today is a process of elimination. It's not a deal breaker but it's disappointing / slightly frustrating.

Yes I read that. Today is a process of elimination. It's not a deal breaker but it's disappointing / slightly frustrating.
It's just annoying, but now you can be almost certain that it has nothing to do with your turntable

It's just annoying, but now you can be almost certain that it has nothing to do with your turntable
Yes, though I knew that from using it connected directly to may amp, and a stand alone Cambridge Audio phono preamp. 8f I can eliminate the clicking then arguably the Ultra would be the quietest of all 3 options.

Sounds clearly like this setup created a ground loop, since the Ultra's phono input isn't even used. This could happen with any additional device. Go figure.
True, except it’s only happened with the Ultra. And I have A LOT of additional gear/devices at play including 4 other turntables.

Anyway I’ve been advised by Support that I’m able to revert back to the previous firmware so perhaps that will chase away the gremlins.

The phono range of the Ultra is very sensitive to electronic interference. DECT telephones and other transmitters can cause humming noises here. I had the problem with a Devolo dlan adaptor. Devolo removed.....and it was quiet
I had similar years ago when using EoP adapters and my Phono stage. These devices pump loads of RF into your mains anything sensitive to it will pick it up. Made me install a wired connection to my front room.

My Wiim also gave the same problem using the Phono input, instead using the Line input no noise, I sent it to the store where I bought it and it was not any configuration problem, they also tried with another Wiim and it did not make noise, simply the Phono of my Wiim was bad, and according to them it has not been the only one with this problem, I am waiting for the replacement to see if this time I am lucky and it goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back