Buzzing/Humming when using Phono Input

No this was with turntable ground connected to ultra ground. If I disconnect ground from the ultra I get the typical buzz you'd expect without ground being connected.
I explicitly asked to pull the Ultra's ground plug from the socket, so this is really the only very simple change. So, no miracle, at least.

This result indicates to me that the ground plug itself makes good contact to socket and grounding is OK. However, I don't see why it shouldn't work when the TT is connected to the Ultra directly, then.

Are the turntable, the Ultra and the unknown power amp all connected to the same mains outlet?
Does the power amp have a 2 pin power plug like the Ultra or a 3 pin plug?
Are you using the stock PSU with the turntable or the "High Power it" accessory PSU?
Did you try reverting the polarity of mains plugs?

And finally, when using the Pro-Ject Connect it Phono E RCA cable that came with the turntable, did you connect the end with the yellow mark to the Ultra?

How hard is it accept this is likely a faulty unit and doesn’t work as it should. Send it back.

I have a Pro-ject carbon evo as well and have been following this discussion as I have some interest in the ultra. I'm curious about other users experiences with TTs on the Ultra??

Do you by any chance own a power station? Something like an Anker 535 PowerHouse or similar? If you own a device like that, you could try plugging in either the Ultra or the turntable to a power station's AC output. This would create a break in the connection to the AC mains for one of the two devices, either the turntable or the Ultra. If the buzzing goes away then you know you are dealing with a ground loop, meaning stray current moving along the RCA cables's ground wires. That wouldn't tell you how to eliminate it, but at least you'd know for sure what you're dealing with.

Have you reversed the power cord connection at the Ultra as Harkpabst suggested? This would be the first thing I would look at.
Is your gear all plugged into one duplex outlet?
Will "dressing" power cables or RCA's affect the noise?
Good luck, those gremlins can be very annoying.

I am having an issue when using the phono input on my new WiiM Ultra. No matter how I connect my turntable there is a persistent buzzing/humming noise.

Do not believe it is a problem with the turntable or RCA with ground cable, as when I connect though my old preamp and use the line in input on the ultra instead it disappears completely. I ensured my cartridge is moving magnet and the correct setting is selected.
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with a technica lp3 turntable. Non interchangeable rca cable. The line input of the utra is perfectly silent with the turntable.

I have a Pro-ject carbon evo as well and have been following this discussion as I have some interest in the ultra. I'm curious about other users experiences with TTs on the Ultra??
Tried my Linn LP 12 with Dynavector MC connected to the Ultra as a test it was quiet. I have a dedicated Parasound phono and don't normally use the Ultra for LP's.

No this was with turntable ground connected to ultra ground. If I disconnect ground from the ultra I get the typical buzz you'd expect without ground being connected.
Did you ever manage to resolve this issue? I have same, carbon evo turntable but with Ortofon red, and I'm getting a buzz / noise from relatively low volume when using the phono stage. Not audible on Fosi X2 phono stage into the wiim ultra line in, so first impression would be the issue is with the phono stage in the wiim. Usual stuff tried, multiple cables, multiple power sockets, different grounding points, no change.

I was hoping to use the wiim to connect everything so it's a little annoying but mainly I just want to know if it's a faulty unit, and I should replace, or if maybe the issue is with the with whatever specs are default in the wiim phono stage, which are not adjustable (at least for now).

The phono range of the Ultra is very sensitive to electronic interference. DECT telephones and other transmitters can cause humming noises here. I had the problem with a Devolo dlan adaptor. Devolo removed.....and it was quiet

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what experience you have with turntables and phono preamps... but it is mandatory to use the ground connection of the phono input and not other ground sockets... and it has always been like this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an idea.

Firstly, do you have an external DAC with balanced outs, and does your amp have balanced ins?

Secondly, go you get the hum over headphones?

Just an idea.

Firstly, do you have an external DAC with balanced outs, and does your amp have balanced ins?

Secondly, go you get the hum over headphones?
No external dac in use and the amp (Aiyima 07 Max) is RCA in, using RCA out from wiim ultra. I have a Fosi X2 and a Pro-ject Phono Box. When using either phono stage to the Wiim line-in there is no noise at all. Using Wiim phono-in, there is a high(ish) frequency output clearly audible from about 1/3 volume, doesn't sound like a deep ground hum.

About the electrical interference, I have tried running just the turntable and Wiim alone, with all other nearby devices disconnected / powered off and still makes no difference.

Good idea on testing headphone output and I can confirm that the noise is still present when output from Wiim Ultra headphone socket. On that basis then I'm fairly sure the issue is not with my amp/ cables / turntable grounding /speakers and seems likely to be with the wiim phono stage. The question is whether the unit is faulty or if it just doesn't like my turntable and/or cartridge and is pulling in some interference that doesn't exist when using my other phono stages. Unfortunately I don't have access to another turntable to test out that theory.

Thought a sample of the noise might help, maybe this is the same or different noise as the OP was talking about? We have the same turntable but different cartridges. Again, this noise is not present through my other external phono stages when using the wiim line-in. It only occurs using the wiim inbuilt phono stage. If anyone has any ideas of what I could try then let me know. Thanks!

Edit: volume here on the Wiim was just under half way, at 46 and the noise is audible from mid 20s.

Attachments

• PXL_20240824_114809844.TS.mp4
    20.3 MB
Another Ultra user having issues with the phono stage! My Alva Duo is silent, but using the Wiim phono I get a continuous clicking or ticking sound at around 3-4 per second. It's only noticeable when nothing is playing and the Yamaha amp turned up to around halfway on the volume knob. RCA cables not interchangeable, it's a Technics SL-1800 with the Technics 270C cartridge.

I don't know what experience you have with turntables and phono preamps... but it is mandatory to use the ground connection of the phono input and not other ground sockets... and it has always been like this...
Curious about this comment. I have been using the phono stage of the ultra for the past few weeks with no buzzing/humming issues. I do not have the ground connected from my TT to the Ultra, but grounded the TT to my Yamaha AS501 integrated amp ground connection . Is there any issue with this? I may try grounding to the Ultra and see if I get the same buzzing issues as OP.

Curious about this comment. I have been using the phono stage of the ultra for the past few weeks with no buzzing/humming issues. I do not have the ground connected from my TT to the Ultra, but grounded the TT to my Yamaha AS501 integrated amp ground connection . Is there any issue with this? I may try grounding to the Ultra and see if I get the same buzzing issues as OP.
Do this and you'll see that it disappears...trust me...bye

in the Ultra package you found an accessory to connect to the Wiim chassis to connect the ground of the turntable ... and that's it, you have to connect your turntable and that's it. If you then connect the Wiim to the ground of your amp you create ground loops ... which can generate hums

Back