Change power cord to the Ultra

Anyone test to change to a better power cord on the Ultra?
Define "better"?

Apart from the aesthetic aspect there's absolutely 0 improvements that can be made to the sound of the Ultra itself by changing the power cord. If some of your other gear is sensitive to AC noise, you could benefit from better shielding, better cable management or just get rid of the poorly-designed gear ;)

Define "better"?

Apart from the aesthetic aspect there's absolutely 0 improvements that can be made to the sound of the Ultra itself by changing the power cord. If some of your other gear is sensitive to AC noise, you could benefit from better shielding, better cable management or just get rid of the poorly-designed gear ;)

Don't forget to buy magic pebbles

There’s so many upgrading cable with zero return in performance but good return in aesthetic is all they getting. Speaker upgrade and acoustic treatment would yield greater improvement over anything else.

Anyone test to change to a better power cord on the Ultra?
Rob Watts from chord discovered how destructive RFI on the grid was for sound quality, when he tried a screened power cable - the result became clearly better , even If it shouldnt be the case because he had the power supply with regulators that makes this RFI much lower .

You can buy two ferrite clamps that kills the RFI , an put it on the power cable.

This is a good article:

Edit: I have tried this ” trick ” 30 years ago, and the sound became clearer but also leaner and more analythic - you have to try if you like it because the sound gonna loose some of its warmth. Its cheap to try it.

Last edited:
a much more obvious, abnormal, but exploitable point was described in the onlyoneme test thread...
surprising that he didn't react... this point... :rolleyes:

a much more obvious, abnormal, but exploitable point was described in the onlyoneme test thread...
well well, fellow rock star how you been? Just simple shielded either rca or power cord would do the trick but don’t need to spend a fortune to on fancy cable.

You mean the Rfi that the powersupply in the Ultra is spreading back to the grid ? Two ferrite cores for the power cable will for sure make this better , and probably other switched mode power supplies would be technically better to.

Im gonna try this on the Ultra and report back.

You mean the Rfi that the powersupply in the Ultra is spreading back to the grid ? Two ferrite cores for the power cable will for sure make this better , and probably other switched mode power supplies would be technically better to.

Im gonna try this on the Ultra and report back.
a shame, you who asked about a specific point... this point...
(but you can of course slide in ferrites which cost almost nothing, or even use a famous dedicated European cable in a very polluted environment ;-) )

Instead of buying an expensive power cable, I recommend to have an electrician install a dedicated power line with built-in surge protector from breaker box.

Instead of buying an expensive power cable, I recommend to have an electrician install a dedicated power line with built-in surge protector from breaker box.
Good suggestion and maybe the best upgrade one can do regarding the power grid .
Here is how one do the ferrite block mod on a power cable :
IMG_5358.png
The sound will probably be a bit leaner and harder and in a very warm sounding system it might be beneficial .

…and its a technical improvement that can be measured as less RFi in most cases .

Last edited:
The sound will probably be a bit leaner and harder and in a very warm sounding system it might be beneficial .
No it won't be... It will make 0 difference for the sound of the Ultra. It uses a modern SMPS which in itself would be a huge noise source if it hadn't been properly shielded and filtered at the output stage. It modulates the incoming AC power to a pulse signal at super high frequencies, basically nullifying any incoming noise.

A ferrite block may help to prevent noise coming from the Ultra seeping through to the rest of the system though.

A ferrite block may help to prevent noise coming from the Ultra seeping through to the rest of the system though.
Yes, and the sound might change because of that ( other components such as amplifiers and external dac might change their performance ) . Been there, done that 30 years ago. Its almost for free to try this.

This is a profound article :

Last edited:
Yes, and the sound might change because of that ( other components such as amplifiers and external dac might change their performance ) . Been there, done that 30 years ago. Its almost for free to try this.

This is a profound article :

Interesting article but unless I'm missing something it doesn't mention ferrites on power cords at all just audio cables.
I wonder how many people use twisted pair speaker cables 🤔

Good that so many people KNOWS. But I just want to test another cable that has a little more quality with shielding and better build quality. I have a Taga Harmony ETPC-C7-TS. But it doesn’t fit since the contact is too thick (when you use USB) so I have ordered an extension. The Taga is a cheap cable.

Good that so many people KNOWS. But I just want to test another cable that has a little more quality with shielding and better build quality. I have a Taga Harmony ETPC-C7-TS. But it doesn’t fit since the contact is too thick (when you use USB) so I have ordered an extension. The Taga is a cheap cable.

Ok, I had to try this - I bought two ferrit chokes 5 mm and put it at each side of the Ultra power cord . I used the ultras internal dac to my power amp. Music was ” I cant hide ” from the Hunter by Jennifer warnes and ”Liberty” from the album by Anette Askvik.

Listened 1 hour, then put away the ferrits .
Listened again 30 minutes.
Put them back …. And after 20 minutes a conclusion .

The sound is slightly clearer with them - they are staying , recommended :)
The cost was 10 dollars.

IMG_5360.jpeg

Last edited:
Back