Coax cables that fit

Erik

Hi,

I'm just about to order a Wiim Pro. I'm going to connect it to a PS Audio Sprout (the old 50-watt model) via coax cable. Question > Does the Wiim Pro come with a coax cable in the box? And if it doesn't, can someone recommend a coax cable that I can order from Amazon that will fit in the recessed plug-in of the Wiim Pro? (nothing too spendy though, thanks!).

Hi,

I'm just about to order a Wiim Pro. I'm going to connect it to a PS Audio Sprout (the old 50-watt model) via coax cable. Question > Does the Wiim Pro come with a coax cable in the box? And if it doesn't, can someone recommend a coax cable that I can order from Amazon that will fit in the recessed plug-in of the Wiim Pro? (nothing too spendy though, thanks!).
I use the Amazon Basics coax cable. Nothing too spendy…

I use the Amazon Basics coax cable. Nothing too spendy…
This is interesting. My WiiM Pro arrived yesterday and I quickly set it up last night. I used an amazon basics audio coax cable to connect it to the back of my Aiyima T9 Pro which preamps to an A07. Couldn't hear a thing when I switched to the coax input on the T9 Pro. Stuffed around with it for a bit and confirmed that Toslink worked OK. Then read about some people having issues with the coax output connection on the WiiM Pro not quite connecting with the cable. I connected using one side the provided RCA and that gave me sound. Obviously not ideal but it will do until I can find a cable that fits. This is the Amazon cable that I had trouble with. I might play around with it a bit more tonight.

Last edited:
If the red/orange part of the cable is just plastic, and the metal part itself doesn't bulge out too, then you could try 'shaving' some of it off so it can fit in the recess better.

If the red/orange part of the cable is just plastic, and the metal part itself doesn't bulge out too, then you could try 'shaving' some of it off so it can fit in the recess better.
Yeah, thanks. I'll have a closer look at it later tonight and go around it with a stanley knife.

Yeah, thanks. I'll have a closer look at it later tonight and go around it with a stanley knife.
I specifically mention the part about the metal bulging out too, as that's what I found when i tried this on one of my cables.
It still didn't fit in that tiny recess!
Seriously considering how to shave / enlarge the recess itself...

I specifically mention the part about the metal bulging out too, as that's what I found when i tried this on one of my cables.
Thats not a bad idea. I think I have some small grinding heads for the dremel that would work. Would probably tape over the connector first.

This is interesting. My WiiM Pro arrived yesterday and I quickly set it up last night. I used an amazon basics audio coax cable to connect it to the back of my Aiyima T9 Pro which preamps to an A07. Couldn't hear a thing when I switched to the coax input on the T9 Pro. Stuffed around with it for a bit and confirmed that Toslink worked OK. Then read about some people having issues with the coax output connection on the WiiM Pro not quite connecting with the cable. I connected using one side the provided RCA and that gave me sound. Obviously not ideal but it will do until I can find a cable that fits. This is the Amazon cable that I had trouble with. I might play around with it a bit more tonight.

I am using the same exact AmazonBasics cable, but mine fits without issue and I have no problems with the coax out. Could it be that the metal-to-metal contact is too tight, preventing you from inserting that plug all the way?

I destroyed with a high fever.

IMG_20230413_172624.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_172510.jpg
    IMG_20230413_172510.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230413_172537.jpg
    IMG_20230413_172537.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 45
Opening the port is the correct solution. Manufacturer refuses to admit. Connectors on standard SPDIF Coax cables might not fully attach as intended. I suspect tolerance stack up is a factor so YMMV regarding "good enough" connection. Cable length and cable quality become factors when the connection is electrically less than optimum. I completed many repeatable tests between mid-Jan and mid-Feb. One test used a new 3ft media bridge. Caused dropouts just like my old 3ft monster. Dropouts via WiiM resolution test as well as my preferred Amazon test track, Barracuda by Heart 24/192 4662 kbps. Currently using CESS-163-1f rca audio cable with T9 Pro and Ethernet. At some point I will use a 30ft rg6 coax with f connectors and rca adapters and I bet it will work fine (& port bore-out?). This box can be stashed far away where wifi doesn't exist and space isn't a premium, as long as the SPDIF will go the distance (spec is 10m). Yes, the optical on my T9 Pro is used by the TV, and yes, I could use my hdmi breakout to swap the spdifs and use optical from the WiiM, but I'd have to buy a long optical cable.

Hi,

I have this and fit properly

I bought the Fospower Digital Coaxial Audio cable at Amazon. Fits and 24 bits / 192 kHz works fine.

I bought Worlds Best Cables from Amazon, with their Eminence locking RCA plugs... They do not fit in the WiiM Pro. I had to disassemble the WiiM and remove the back plate that has the hook up identification markings on it. There are four screws under the rubber pad on the bottom of the unit, just peel the corners back and you will gain access to the screws holding the top portion on. I had to remove both boards to do this. If you dig in there, beware there is a very thin antenna wire attached to the bottom plate of the WiiM, do not go muscling the two pieces apart or you will break this wire. Be gentle. Remove both boards, I had to remove the wide ribbon cable, it slides into the white piece on the board. The back piece simply snaps out and will give plenty of room for larger RCA connections.

Back