Coaxial vs Optical output?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends on what's at the other end of the cable.
With 1-2V signals the differences between two cables are very small.
So the main difference will be between the two DAC’s if anything at all?

So the main difference will be between the two DAC’s if anything at all?
Not having listened to the two DACs connected to the same chain I can't comment.
But be careful, as I have said several times it is not easy to distinguish what "sounds better" from what "sounds different".
Measuring instruments can do this, but the (almost) objective reality returned by the instruments does not necessarily coincide with the perceived quality.
If it were that simple, no one would use amplifiers equipped with output transformers wound on a ferromagnetic core, which inevitably introduce a hysteresis.m

You decided once to buy a well build, well regarded and reasonable priced amplifier which has an internal DAC, great. The WiiM gives you the opportunity to use either its internal DAC or the DAC in your amp. 30 seconds needed to switch in the WiiM app. What do you expect here from other users? A clear advice what is "better"? Hey, trust your ears! If this ears find no difference it is self explaining. Change every second day! 😉

Not having listened to the two DACs connected to the same chain I can't comment.
But be careful, as I have said several times it is not easy to distinguish what "sounds better" from what "sounds different".
Measuring instruments can do this, but the (almost) objective reality returned by the instruments does not necessarily coincide with the perceived quality.
If it were that simple, no one would use amplifiers equipped with output transformers wound on a ferromagnetic core, which inevitably introduce a hysteresis.m
Yes totally understand. What I might like best, you may not and vice versa. I’ve come to realise lately that the only thing that matters here is what sounds best to me. Thanks for the information and help.

In my case the dac measurements of my integrated using the coax are better than optical in various metrics. But I still haven’t used the coax to tell how translatable the difference is to my ears .

You decided once to buy a well build, well regarded and reasonable priced amplifier which has an internal DAC, great. The WiiM gives you the opportunity to use either its internal DAC or the DAC in your amp. 30 seconds needed to switch in the WiiM app. What do you expect here from other users? A clear advice what is "better"? Hey, trust your ears! If this ears find no difference it is self explaining. Change every second day! 😉
Ha no I was just asking as to whether or not one option SHOULD sound better than the other ‘on paper’. But I realise it’s completely subjective.
Yes I’m switching between the two options now. And yes you’re completely right, it’s my ears that matter, no one else’s.
One thing though, this little streamer is working very well indeed.

Ha no I was just asking as to whether or not one option SHOULD sound better than the other ‘on paper’. But I realise it’s completely subjective.
Yes I’m switching between the two options now. And yes you’re completely right, it’s my ears that matter, no one else’s.
One thing though, this little streamer is working very well indeed.
Switching can be great fun 😉

I’m using the internal DAC of my Audiolab 6000a. So it’s a case of Wiim DAC (Analogue) v Audiolab DAC (Digital)?
Technically Audiolab DAC is on the higher level than the one built in the Pro. I don't know which one you will prefer in terms of sonic impressions.

Which I guess is saying that the DAC and related circuitry in your Audiolab 6000a is better than that in the WiiM which is perhaps not surprising :)
Certainly given the cost I’d agree. I listened to two albums earlier using the line out of the Wiim. And have to say that it sounded very good. Same two albums now using the coax and therefore Audiolab DAC, and it’s better again. But I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if I could only use the Wiim DAC

Technically Audiolab DAC is on the higher level than the one built in the Pro. I don't know which one you will prefer in terms of sonic impressions.
Definitely early days yet. I’ll keep switching. With the two albums I’ve compared I’d say the Audiolab sounds more refined.

Definitely early days yet. I’ll keep switching. With the two albums I’ve compared I’d say the Audiolab sounds more refined.
Better performance combined with better sonic impressions always looks good to me.

Better performance combined with better sonic impressions always looks good to me.
I’m completely inexperienced as far as the technology and measurements are concerned, so it will all be purely based subjectively as which sounds better to me

There are teardown photos available in the net.
However, it is necessary to disassemble it to understand the clock oscillator model used and connect to the TP1 ( I guess that's it) to evaluate the phase noise.
The photographs on the net do not allow you to read the oscillator model, at least not the ones I found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back