Edit : FAT32 and exFAT sounds slightly better on USB than NTFS when using a SSD , with the Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The board responses are a bit in shock at how you've framed this. The latencies in solid state storage or on the order of a few nanoseconds, and network latencies on the order of a few milliseconds, both of which are well below what the human ear can even detect. To detect differences in audio, the latencies would need to be about 10-20 milliseconds. So, what you're talking about is ORDERS of magnitude (i.e. 1000's to millions of times) faster than your ear or mine.

That said, I recommend using EXT4 instead of FAT32. EXT4 is more open where FAT32 is more closed ;)

I use EXT4 wherever I can in preference to FAT32 or NTFS.

Even if the HDD is slow, it transfer it to a buffer . As long as the HDD can read at least 1:1 it won't be a problem. Even with my ancient Nas internal speeds are way faster than red book audio flex files. That's including the Nas decompressing flac files on the fly so it's reading it decompressing then sending it to specific audio streamer.

Any drive in the last 20 years will be fast enough for red book standard.

It is possible if you have very high bitrate audio on ancient HDD it won't be quick enough.

But I doubt you'll be connecting a 200mb HDD and putting a 24 bit 192khz track on it filling up 85% of the drive.

As for partition system on operating system, as long as the os can support that partition it will work fine and there won't be any read/write errors or checksum issues.

What next audiophile data cables?

I'm starting to think that the audio community needs to invest in a time machine so we can go back and ask the pioneers of music recording if they ever imagined their creations would be debated over the intricacies of file systems and storage media.

All science begins with open-minded observation.
Yes, and I havent said that the better sounding flash drive is even technically better, it might even be the opposite.
Everyone including me knows that a SSD is faster than a cheaper flash memory.
Not the first time the ears prefer a coloration , at least for me.

I have to do some more tests with this.

That just hard to believe just storage format changed sound character. Maybe if you upsampled the native 16/44 to 24/192 will give better definition much like fat32 over ntfs. You must be very tired listening and having hallucinations thinking there’s difference. You can’t be serious on this!

That just hard to believe just storage format changed sound character. Maybe if you upsampled the native 16/44 to 24/192 will give better definition much like fat32 over ntfs. You must be very tired listening and having hallucinations thinking there’s difference. You can’t be serious on this!
Its a small difference, but big enough for me to prefer TIDAL connect instead of the original flac file on the NTFS SSD I have ripped from my own cd . With the flash drive and same flac files from the same CD:s its the opposite.
I would say the difference is as big as between Spotify connect and TIDAL.

Its a small difference, but big enough for me to prefer TIDAL connect instead of the original flac file on the NTFS SSD I have ripped from my own cd . With the flash drive and same flac files from the same CD:s its the opposite.

I fancy a balony sandwich. There is no difference. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Do you understand computer data/storage at all?

My experience ripping John Lennon imagine on flash drive using ntfs and using foobar as ripper I get less volume on same art work on tidal. I have to click one more to match the volume level.

Same music, with flac files using a flash memory 32 GB or a SSD 2T . Power is taken from usb on the WiiM for both storing devices.

Flash memory with FAT32 seems to sound slightly better, more open and natural. I have a suspicion that its the difference between FAT32 and NTFS that might give the small differences. Or differences between using a flash drive and a SSD ?

I will try to re-format the SSD with FAT32 to se If the differences dissapear.

Do any of you have any experience of this (impossible) differences ?

Surely you’d need two sausages for stereo? 😂

nah, you'll look totally daft having two sausages sticking out of your head. With one, you'd look sane.

One sausage acts as an antenna for etheral aural network, diverting non corporal electrons equally into each tympanic membrane.

Soon finnished with my Toshiba SSD formated to exFAT. Will report later If there is any difference from NTFS or If its the SSD that sounds worse than my flash stick. Much more music this time, takes a while to rescan and also to listen critical.

Last edited:
Soon finnished with my Toshiba SSD formated to exFAT. Will report later If there is any difference from NTFS or If its the SSD that sounds worse than my flash stick. Much more music this time, takes a while to rescan and also to listen critical.

Make sure you test in reach RAID type, and different brand of hard drives, WD purple, red, green, blue, gold, white

Oh man...

Someone told me that a big improvement came with a picture of Nikola Tesla hunging above the amplifier. He's still testing which height does better.
Even the same ebooks give more emotions when read through a golden router.
Anyway, it's always matter of endorphins. Anything helps to produce more, it works.. 😎

Remember the good old times when all you had to figure out was the perfect blood alcohol level for best sound quality?
THC is the best sound improvement you can ever had.

Even the crappiest stereos sounded brilliant.

I never had a chance of mixing it with a half de3cent set up. It would probably be amazing.

This "debate" reminds me of all the improvements made to the "perfect" CD in the past 40 years. If it was perfect in 1982--and all the measurements "proved" it--why bother seeking improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back