Fixed Volume Control Output Specific

ScratsAcorn

I would love to have the fixed volume control be a setting under each individual output. When using the Ultra for the TV, I use the Analog Out and prefer to use the internal preamp for CEC volume control. When I am listening to music, I have an external DAC and I’d prefer to use my integrateds preamp for volume control. I know I can just crank up the volume or switch the fixed volume switch whenever I move from one output to another, but I’m worried about forgetting and running my amp at full blast.

Last edited:
This really needs to happen! Using an external DAC via USB and being able to set it to fixed would be a massively welcome addition. I have the same use case as you! I want to use the usb to feed my external fav but utilize eARC with my TV.

This really needs to happen! Using an external DAC via USB and being able to set it to fixed would be a massively welcome addition. I have the same use case as you! I want to use the usb to feed my external fav but utilize eARC with my TV.

If you use an external DAC pipeline you can already do that. Set the Ultra at fixed max volume for bit perfect playback. Connect Ultra via USB to the DAC and connect the TV via Toslink to the same DAC. Source selection is done on the DAC. Volume is controlled by the amplification pipeline following the DAC for all DAC sources,

That is not necessarily what I want to do.

I connect my TV to my ultra via HDMI and then feed the ultra line out to my integrates fixed input “power amp” input. This enables me to use the eARC port and get the Dolby signal from my ultra to my amp and also allows me to control the volume via my TVs remote. A simpler one remote control setup via eARC for all functions on my TV.

I then want to connect my Ultra’s USB out to my external DAC via USB at a fixed volume for when I stream music and want to use my external DAC. Essenally only using the streaming function of my ultra and bypassing the Ultra’s DAC for my external DAC. The volume would then be controlled by my integrated amplifier and I prefer my external DAC’s sound quality for music.

Net net: a toggle switch to enable fixed volume for the USB out would remedy my use case. Other manufactures have this capability.

That is not necessarily what I want to do.

I connect my TV to my ultra via HDMI and then feed the ultra line out to my integrates fixed input “power amp” input. This enables me to use the eARC port and get the Dolby signal from my ultra to my amp and also allows me to control the volume via my TVs remote. A simpler one remote control setup via eARC for all functions on my TV.

I then want to connect my Ultra’s USB out to my external DAC via USB at a fixed volume for when I stream music and want to use my external DAC. Essenally only using the streaming function of my ultra and bypassing the Ultra’s DAC for my external DAC. The volume would then be controlled by my integrated amplifier and I prefer my external DAC’s sound quality for music.

Net net: a toggle switch to enable fixed volume for the USB out would remedy my use case. Other manufactures have this capability.
We are looking to do the exact same thing haha. Only using one remote for the TV is a prerequisite in this house.

First off let me say hi to everyone here in the forum and Wiim for making a supreme product...I know own 3 wiims.
But my issue is with my new Ultra... When I fixed the line out 2v and the volume was set to 100 to my dac I then plugged in an iem to my ultra to test it's headphone output and I damn nearly blew my eardrums and had one hell of a scare. If wiim could find a way to fix this issue it would be well appreciated because I'm sure it's gonna happen to many many people and hopefully they will be as lucky as me to not have suffered any long lasting damage.
Other than that the Wiim ultra is a fantastic piece of audio gear.

First off let me say hi to everyone here in the forum and Wiim for making a supreme product...I know own 3 wiims.
But my issue is with my new Ultra... When I fixed the line out 2v and the volume was set to 100 to my dac I then plugged in an iem to my ultra to test it's headphone output and I damn nearly blew my eardrums and had one hell of a scare. If wiim could find a way to fix this issue it would be well appreciated because I'm sure it's gonna happen to many many people and hopefully they will be as lucky as me to not have suffered any long lasting damage.
Other than that the Wiim ultra is a fantastic piece of audio gear.
Welcome.

Indeed, I raised this at least a couple of months ago.
I was hoping that inserting a headphone jack would be automatically detected and switch to that output, and also override fixed volume / reduce to a 'sensible' volume. At the least, choosing headphone output would auto-change the volume.
Guess we'll have to wait and see whether wiim can / will do anything about this.
Until then, beware! Put the 'phones on after switching output!

Back