HELP: Save me from the Sonos !!

For me, the amp's main drawback was that the only 'real' output (bluetooth isn't real ;)) was the speakers outputs, although it does have usb out now. As many say, that's probably only useful if you run it to a headphone dac/amp. Why would you run it to a dac and then a different amp!
Do you want wired or wireless?
Do you want the simplicity of a single box (the amp) where all you really need is the amp's power lead and some speaker cables? And some speakers, obviously!

For a cheap solution, minis with powered speakers with optical inputs would probably do fine, as long as wifi is good enough everywhere with the same ssid.

Decisions, decisions...
Not the Mini. It doesn't have LAN, Chromecast, Squeezelite and only AUX In.

I think this has been asked before, but I can't recall the answer.
Like most users (I'd imagine) the internet is just something that's always there, lurking in the background!
You might well need internet on first setup for the wiims to download the latest firmware, but after that...?
I would try, but the hordes might lynch me if I dare turn off the router.
More than happy for internet access for updates and firmware. My concern more relates to internet dependency to operate.

I have a longer term goal of ensuring all of my home tech (smarthome etc) is completely independent of the internet and would work just fine without it.

Ring cameras/doorbells, hue lights etc, far too dependant and whilst have served me well, I want to change it up….. but that’s a completely different topic and convo 😉😃

Simplicity and WAF is crucial 😂😂

I do have some 10” ceiling speakers in our lounge that I put in when we originally renovated. When I moved to Sonos to reduce the amount of hardware on the shelves, I left them in situ. I can’t for the life of me remember what they are but recall they cost about £350. I may have to take them out to get the details.

With them in mind, I assumed I need the amp. More than happy to get the ultra if it does the same with additional bells and whistles 👍🏼

Looking at cable runs, it may make sense for me to put an amp or ultra in the living rooms and mini’s with powered speakers throughout the rest of the house. WiFi is good but would always take wired if the option is there.
I did a Kitchen refurb recently and put some B&W In Ceiling speakers in. I run it with the following - Alexa Echo Show, WiiM Pro into Topping something amp via Coax.

The Echo Show allows SWMBO to say "Alexa Play Radio 2" and the in-celing speakers kick in. The Pro is the target "speaker" for the Echo Show.

I want to sync the Kitchen to something I am playing in the Living Room (proper music). I pull out my phone and choose something within Material/LMS and the Pro immediately switches to its Squeezelite client which is in perfect sync with a Raspberry pi in my Living Room.

I chose the Topping as it has auto-switch on on all digital inputs.

Not the Mini. It doesn't have LAN, Chromecast, Squeezelite and only AUX In.
Good points.
Counterpoint...
If, as above, a main system contains an amp or ultra etc. and the minis are added to them in a group, then only the parent in the group requires that, right?
(Apart from chromecast, where only the parent will play if in a group.)

Edit: and yes, if it were me, I'd probably get at least a pro rather than minis for your reasons, esp. wired.
Although I do have a 2nd mini just for a headphone setup.

Last edited:
I did a Kitchen refurb recently and put some B&W In Ceiling speakers in. I run it with the following - Alexa Echo Show, WiiM Pro into Topping something amp via Coax.

The Echo Show allows SWMBO to say "Alexa Play Radio 2" and the in-celing speakers kick in. The Pro is the target "speaker" for the Echo Show.

I want to sync the Kitchen to something I am playing in the Living Room (proper music). I pull out my phone and choose something within Material/LMS and the Pro immediately switches to its Squeezelite client which is in perfect sync with a Raspberry pi in my Living Room.

I chose the Topping as it has auto-switch on on all digital inputs.
I’ll take a look at that, thankyou

How are the sonics when grouped together? Is it apparent with the different speaker sets or is it lost as background music?

Good points.
Counterpoint...
If, as above, a main system contains an amp or ultra etc. and the minis are added to them in a group, then only the parent in the group requires that, right?
(Apart from chromecast, where only the parent will play if in a group.)
I'd still avoid the Mini - primarily because i doesn't have Squeezelite - but that's me.
A word on Chromecast - I still don't think it supports gapless playback. It may be unimportant to you but would be a show stopper for me.
Also a word on AirPlay. There are 2 varieties. 1 & 2. I think this is correect but someone will jump in if I have this slightly wrong.
Airplay 1 supports 16/44.1 or 16/48 but can't sync properly (except with LMS)
AirPlay 2 is Apple's answer to multi room playback and obviously will sync but I think I am correct in saying to do so it downsamples to 256kbps AAC.

Looks like I can install both LMS and Roon Server onto my unraid server if that helps with the decision making.

I also wonder if there is a suitably sized amp that would sit perfectly with the ultra to get best of both worlds??
**edit - looks like the Toppings are similar size 👍🏼

If not, I may grab the amp in the first instance.

Thoughts??

Thanks again all, I really appreciate the help

Last edited:
I have many Sonos speakers and a 5.1 setup on my TV with the Arc. The speakers show up as an endpoint in Roon, JRiver Media Center, Plex, as well a the Sonos App. My speakers are the next gen and they also appear as Airplay available. I wasn't aware of what you refer to as the upcoming "cloud" update. For me---everything is already on the cloud (Tidal, QOBUZ, etc)

Their recent APP update was really disappointing and we all got an apology email from the Sonos President. But the sound quality of Sonos is hard to beat. I was recently thinking of selling my passive speakers for an ERA 300 pair.

My home theater is an ARC with a pair of ERA 300 surrounds and a sub and the Atmos is phenomenal and it never needs the APP.

I use the Ultra for a preamp to an amp and passive speakers. The sources are either Roon, Tidal, JRiver, or even Sirius XM through my iMac browser. I have my local albums on a non-Raid NAS server.

I have many Sonos speakers and a 5.1 setup on my TV with the Arc. The speakers show up as an endpoint in Roon, JRiver Media Center, Plex, as well a the Sonos App.
Do you need a Plex Pass?

I wasn't aware of what you refer to as the upcoming "cloud" update. For me---everything is already on the cloud (Tidal, QOBUZ, etc)
I’ll try and dig out the technicalities, I’m not referring to the cloud music services, I’m specifically referring to intentions of the company, how they will/will not use api’s going forward, etc, etc.

I read an interview with Sonos where they mentioned that the app no longer talks direct to the speaker. The app will talk to Sonos cloud servers in the first instance, determine if the command is correct then come back down and apply the request to the speaker. It’s one of the reasons you’ve probably seen a delay in volume control. The journey of the request is much longer and unnecessary.

Turning up via the app now goes out to the internet instead of direct. It’s one small thing but sounds like it’s their platform framework for going forward so likely to have further challenges in the future.

It’s not cool … I want to manage my infrastructure and not rely on 3rd parties where possible.

I have many Sonos speakers and a 5.1 setup on my TV with the Arc. The speakers show up as an endpoint in Roon, JRiver Media Center, Plex, as well a the Sonos App. My speakers are the next gen and they also appear as Airplay available. I wasn't aware of what you refer to as the upcoming "cloud" update. For me---everything is already on the cloud (Tidal, QOBUZ, etc)

Their recent APP update was really disappointing and we all got an apology email from the Sonos President. But the sound quality of Sonos is hard to beat. I was recently thinking of selling my passive speakers for an ERA 300 pair.

My home theater is an ARC with a pair of ERA 300 surrounds and a sub and the Atmos is phenomenal and it never needs the APP.

I use the Ultra for a preamp to an amp and passive speakers. The sources are either Roon, Tidal, JRiver, or even Sirius XM through my iMac browser. I have my local albums on a non-Raid NAS server.
The cloud update he’s referring to is the fact that all control functions are now going to Sonos servers for example when you increase volume it transmits the request to the server which then tells your speaker to increase volume
Hence the lag people are reporting

The cloud update he’s referring to is the fact that all control functions are now going to Sonos servers for example when you increase volume it transmits the request to the server which then tells your speaker to increase volume
What is the problem they are trying to fix by doing this? Sounds a bit MQA to me.

What is the problem they are trying to fix by doing this? Sounds a bit MQA to me.
This is why people are jumping ship and going mad about it😜
Also the web app based on their servers works well but no TFA another bugbear for folks
I was asked to beta test the web app as soon as I got the mail I turned off auto updates and declined the offer

So what happens if you don't have internet?

Back