HDMI Bluetooth Lag / Out of Sync

rickincanada

I’m using my WiiM Ultra connected to my TV through HDMI. This works great when I run the analog audio out to my amplifier. Where I run into an issue is when I connect my Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT headphones over Bluetooth. The audio has a 500-1000ms delay which makes watching videos with ppl talking virtually impossible. Is this a known issue and is something being done to resolve it?

Here were the steps I took to ensure the issue was with my WiiM Ultra:
  • Tested WiiM with Analog Out: No issue
  • Tested ATH Headphones with iPhone over Bluetooth: No issue
  • Tested ATH Headphones with WiiM Ultra over Bluetooth: Issue present

I’m using my WiiM Ultra connected to my TV through HDMI. This works great when I run the analog audio out to my amplifier. Where I run into an issue is when I connect my Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT headphones over Bluetooth. The audio has a 500-1000ms delay which makes watching videos with ppl talking virtually impossible. Is this a known issue and is something being done to resolve it?

Here were the steps I took to ensure the issue was with my WiiM Ultra:
  • Tested WiiM with Analog Out: No issue
  • Tested ATH Headphones with iPhone over Bluetooth: No issue
  • Tested ATH Headphones with WiiM Ultra over Bluetooth: Issue present
Yes, I believe that is normal behavior. In my previous testing, the amount of delay was about 600ms on the Bluetooth output, as I recall. (That said, the amount of delay in Ultra is less than in amp or pro.)

A recent update seems to have reduced the Bluetooth delay, but this may just be the receiver. (I have not tested the new firmware so I don't know the details.)

Future updates may also reduce the Bluetooth transmission delay, but please submit a support ticket through the WiiM app.

Future updates may also reduce the Bluetooth transmission delay, but please submit a support ticket through the WiiM app.
Yeah, but it’ll never completely remove it as Bluetooth latency is pretty much a given since it has to compress the audio for transmission and decompress it on receipt which takes a finite amount of time.

Back