Home Music Share keeps skipping to next track

Xidnpnlss

Hello good people.

When using the Wiim iOS app to stream FLAC from my external hard drive it’s been skipping randomly to the next track. I’ve been trying to pay attention to anything going on on my phone or whatever to see if there’s something that’s triggering it, but it seems very random. I only occasionally use it to stream so can’t be sure if it started doing this after an app update

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

When using the Wiim iOS app to stream FLAC from my external hard drive it’s been skipping randomly to the next track.
Have you ever been able to play one of the tracks that has skipped?
There were some enhancements specifically for Windows Media Sharing in the latest release so it's possible this has caused the issue. I don't have a Windows 11 install but I'll have a quick look at Windows 10 later.

MinimServer is the preferred UPnP server so you could try that. The free version will likely meet your needs.

@Xidnpnlss

I split a track into 5 second chunks so I could quickly test a number of track transitions and it played through successfuly, so unfortunately I can't replicate your problem.

Carrying out this test did remind me just how broken Windows Media Sharing (WMS) is. In DLNA/UPnP the server is responsible for sending the tracks to the control point (WiiM Home App) in the correct order, but WMS sends them in alphabetical order, and unless you number your tracks sequentially across a multi-disc album (1 - [last track in album] rather than 1-[last track on disc], 1-[last track on disc]) there's no way for the control point to reorder them (because disc number isn't part of the data that's sent).

What did surprise me is that @WiiM Team have wasted their time using WMS as a source and transforming it into their standard browsing interface (the same one you see for local and USB input), making it even worse than using WMS in its native form (fewer indexes and lost track artists). I hope they don't try and do this with other media servers as it's a feature that will never be used.

There are other problems like search, so just use MinimServer.

Last edited:
Back