How to get Wiim Ultra to recognize USB key?

Mirtma

When I put USB drive (16 GB, NTFS formated) into Wiim Ultra, nothing happens. App on Android doesn't recognise it. Screenshot_20240902_153559_WiiM Home-EDIT.jpg

I had a similar problem with a Samsung t5 ssd swapped it out for a seagate 3.5 usb drive both were 1tb
No idea why the ssd wouldn’t work but the seagates working fine now

When I put USB drive (16 GB, NTFS formated) into Wiim Ultra, nothing happens. App on Android doesn't recognise it.
You could try reformatting the drive with this: https://www.grc.com/initdisk.htm

I've used it a number of times on keys I've struggled to format in Windows. I know that's not the problem you're having, but it's got to be worth a try.

From now on my first response to any new member reporting about USB issues will be:

Reformat the drive and make sure the partition scheme is MBR!
The author of that tool has spent most of his career working on drive technology, so it might not be as simple as partition/filesystem type.

The software should probably be part of a FAQ/sticky somewhere, assuming it's not just a one-off.

The author of that tool has spent most of his career working on drive technology, so it might not be as simple as partition/filesystem type.

The software should probably be part of a FAQ/sticky somewhere, assuming it's not just a one-off.
Unfortunately (?), USB always worked for me on the WiiM Amp and on the WiiM Ultra (except for the re-indexing issue that keeps getting fixed ;) ), so I'm not the one to judge if InitDisk can apply some secret sauce not available from Rufus. :)

Edit:
Anyway, I downloaded InitDisk for future use.

Unfortunately (?), USB always worked for me on the WiiM Amp and on the WiiM Ultra (except for the re-indexing issue that keeps getting fixed ;) ), so I'm not the one to judge if InitDisk can apply some secret sauce not available from Rufus. :)
I meant no comparison to Rufus, instead to Windows that would also format to MBR and FAT (depending on the size of the disk). I mentioned initDisk as it's noob friendly and only 160KB, but it won't work on the huge disks some people are trying.

Now we need some guinea pigs to test these with :)

Is the USB protocol or spec visible anywhere, i.e. is it 3.2, or just 3.1 or 3.0. I assume that if you were using a hub, say to access files on a drive to read/play, plus also using a usb port in the hub/splitter to send signals to an external DAC, ideally you would want the highest spec possible for speed in all parts of that chain - external drive, hub and ideally the input of the external DAC? There are a lot of experts on here. Do we know the usb spec and is this actually relevant at all to maximise performance (or is the difference between 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 not that big a deal)?
Thanks.

Back