How to setup a wireless sub to wiim

If I'm replacing a Sonos wireless sub with wiim platform how would I power this sub (or any sub that is away from the media cabinet (the sub is used with ceiling speakers).

Thank you

Simply stated you need to get an audio signal to a subwoofer. AFAIK, with a Sonos subwoofer it appears the only way to do this is wirelessly through the Sonos ecosystem. So you can't use the Sonos sub with WiiM.

With other subwoofers (RSL, Klipsch, SVS, etc.) you'll feed the audio signal to the RCA input on the subwoofer either wirelessy using multiple WiiM units or with a cable between the WiiM and the subwoofer.

To connect to the subwoofer wirelessly you will use a second WiiM unit as the wireless receiver for the subwoofer. You will connect the output of the second WiiM to the input on the subwoofer. You will use the multi-room audio to send the music to the main speakers and the subwoofer simultaneosuly.

If you want to connect a WiiM to the subwoofer with a wired connection then you do it in one of two ways. The WiiM Ultra and WiiM Amp have subwoofer outputs built in. With these WiiMs, you can simply connect an RCA cable from the WiiM unit SUB OUT to the LINE IN on the subwoofer.

If you are using a WiiM Mini, Pro, or Pro Plus, you can possibly use an audio cable Y splitter to take the output of the WiiM and feed it to both the main speakers and subwoofer simultaneously. Before attempting this you will want to make sure that feeding the output to two different places simultaneously will not create a problem for any of your equipment.

That is a great, detailed response which I totally appreciate. If the sub doesn't have a built-in app, then I would have to use the ultra or the wiim amp to provide power, correct? Thank you

Can you provide more details about your specific desired setup? What are your desired music sources, amplification,and speakers?

Subwoofer apps are used for changing the loudness and crossover settings on the subwoofer and will not receive a wireless audio signal.

With Sonos, each speaker has an amplifier and a wireless audio signal receiver built into it. The wireless audio uses Sonos' proprietary protocol so you can't use simply use other brands of speakers in a Sonos system. If you want to use non-Sonos speakers you need to connect them to a Sonos box which acts as a Sonos wireless receiver and as needed an amplifier to power the non-Sonos speakers.

WiiM's ecosystem is similar except WiiM does not have sell any speakers. So every set of speakers (or subwoofer) in a WiiM setup requires it to be connected to a WiiM device. The WiiM device is the wireless receiver for the speakers. If the speakers you are using require amplfication, you can use a WiiM amp to power the speakers or you can add a third party amplifier to drive the speakers and use a WiiM Mini, Pro, Pro Plus or Ultra.

That makes perfect sense. I have Yamaha and golden ear ceiling speakers and a Sonos sub for my living room. Individual bedrooms have Yamaha speakers. I use a Sonos port for my outdoor sonance speakers. My sonks sub is old I want to replace it. My amp is elan (like a control 4) but I likely want to replace that as well.

Confused as to if I should use wiim, Sonos, or blue sound and what music app is best for lossless with these systems.

Thank you

Back