How to use RC ?

If the default is 40Hz to 4kHz and the target curve is Harman or similar it almost guarantees a large boost at low frequencies as the high frequencies can't be cut. A subwoofer helps since you can raise the gain of that to avoid having to boost the source.
I have 2 subwoofers (helps the mods).
Default curve is B&K.

The result sound bad!
Did I say otherwise?

Maybe the strange behaviour at 46Hz is due to the fact that default is 40Hz - 4kHz. This is the only way it could make sense - in theory. In practice the result is nonsense!
I don't get what you say. There is no "strange behaviour" per se. Even if it doesn't work out for you that doesn't mean two filters at the same frequency are strange or caused by any inappropriate setting.

And I assume the correction curve should be different with different volumes as modes become different(?)…
No, modes do not depend on level. They might not get fully excited a very low levels, so much is true. But RC cannot compensate for this.

Yeah, totally agree. I manually corrected it down.
I did not apply any manual correction here.
Where did you apply manual correction and where not?

Default target curve.
Speakers you see in the footer…
I don't feel like researching what might be the default target curve with your current device, firmware and app version. Also, the signature is not shown in mobile view. The limited amount of help I can provide is not worth looking that up, probably neither for me nor for you.

Did I say otherwise?

I don't get what you say. There is no "strange behaviour" per se. Even if it doesn't work out for you that doesn't mean two filters at the same frequency are strange or caused by any inappropriate setting.

No, modes do not depend on level. They might not get fully excited a very low levels, so much is true. But RC cannot compensate for this.

Where did you apply manual correction and where not?

I don't feel like researching what might be the default target curve with your current device, firmware and app version. Also, the signature is not shown in mobile view. The limited amount of help I can provide is not worth looking that up, probably neither for me nor for you.
Presumably it sounds awful because of clipping. You can't expect to get away with 12 dB boost at 100Hz.

I‘m sorry, I was not aware that the footer is not shown.
However if I expand the frequency range down to 20Hz, limit the max value and the q value, it begins to make more sense…still 2 values at 46Hz though…

IMG_1397.jpeg

You can't expect to get away with 12 dB boost at 100Hz.
No, most probably not. This could be the reason, indeed.

However if I expand the frequency range down to 20Hz, limit the max value and the q value, it begins to make more sense…still 2 values at 46Hz though…
If the mic in your iPad works reasonably well below 40 Hz there's not much wrong with extending the correction down to 20 Hz (if your subs can deal with the result).

If your mic (or more precisely it's calibration) was bad below 40 Hz you would get an even higher gain at low frequencies.

Two filters at 46 Hz is not necessarily an error, as I tried to explain before. This could be needed to get the desired correction.

As a quick check, go to device settings, audio settings, volume limit an set a blue of 88%. If this sounds noticeably better (even if you have to increase the overall volume) then your problem is most probably due to digital clipping with RC EQ applied, indeed.

Last edited:
I wish WiiM rather focuses on the feature that they do best of - integration of streaming services. Room correction is not WiiM's strength. Dirac Live, IK Multimedia Arc4, and Sonarwork SoundID are in the market and they're based on not only frequency domain correction (PEQ-based) but also time domain correction.

The latest one is Arc4 and it is a standalone box (i.e. no computer required once calibration is done).
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc4/

Alternative, one can go with MiniDSP with Dirac live for DAC and RC functions.

I wish WiiM rather focuses on the feature that they do best of - integration of streaming services. Room correction is not WiiM's strength. Dirac Live, IK Multimedia Arc4, and Sonarwork SoundID are in the market and they're based on not only frequency domain correction (PEQ-based) but also time domain correction.

The latest one is Arc4 and it is a standalone box (i.e. no computer required once calibration is done).

That maybe good idea but you do realize we’re here because we all want to avoid expensive gear that other brand offer. How many you think will spend nearly 1k just for DSP and RC offer by mini dsp? We all want the finest but we’re all cheap that most of us don’t want to spend a fortune. We want Lamborghini for the price of a miller!

In the future, it would be desirable to automate the SW volume and delay adjustments currently in the WHA by incorporating them into the RC. 🤗

Wow, for my first attempt it sounds great! Better than all my efforts throughout the day with PEQ… Congrats! What more can I expect? Also, it sounds great, but I can’t see anything :/

Attachments

• IMG_8677.png
    IMG_8677.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8678.png
    IMG_8678.png
    510.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8679.png
    IMG_8679.png
    511 KB · Views: 56
Wow, for my first attempt it sounds great! Better than all my efforts throughout the day with PEQ… Congrats! What more can I expect? Also, it sounds great, but I can’t see anything :/

If you have increased the font size or display size in your phone settings, please try resetting them to default.

You don't mention REW which is free and works well. I didn't buy the Amp for the streaming services, I bought it for the bass management. PEQ and room correction was an unexpected bonus 😀

Do no compensate for dips in the bass response, you can overload your system. Dips (nulls) should never be corrected at low frequencies as these are down to standing waves in your room being out of phase with each other at that frequency and it results in cancellation.You should not attempt to combat nulls with RC at bass frequencies it will not work and in some cases create an even worse results. You should only be applying reductions in the bass region to the target curve. You also will need to reduce the overal volume of the device out to compensate for any gains above 0db or you will get clipping.

Start by only corrected from the range yout speakers roll off at and up to 200 or 300 hz the rooms shroeder frequencies as above this is frequencues less prone to room nodes and more to do with other factors and you start getting in to altering your speakers voicing not the room but nulls can be compensated higher up the freq range if required. Personally i dont correct above 500hz and even then would rather keep it lower.

If you want to try and elimiate nulls you need to reduce headroom significanlty that the curve is reducing stuff down to create a more flat response, this will mean you loose gain as in some cases can be adjusting the whole curve down -12 or more.

Generally speaking, the room itself is often the biggest disturbance when it comes to audiophile enjoyment . So digital RC has huge big potential.
However , based on my experience and apparently others too, what is a sensible way to start this topic and journey?

Not sure what to think of this feature here in WiiM and how sophisticated it is….
In my case, in my (acousticly cold) room, I know I have some base mods, also because of large windows and little furniture / carpets. They show up (too) and WiiM tries to correct them.
However with quite some strange results that one value e.g. 46Hz. can have more than 1 correction value.
Used the standard settings to get started.
Need to test more, but initial results are not satisfing…
Also the rest of the curve shows every time a bit different (+- 3db). Tried it with my iPad Air2 and my iphone 12.
+- 30cm difference in the sweet spot can already have huge influence / difference… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Can we learn from Pros here? Thank you! 😃
Ran it yesterday on my ancient 11 Pro Max. The change was unbelievable. Was using regular EQ before. After running room correcting the difference is night and day. It sounded so bright before. I’m kinds me to this and don’t really understand all the numbers it showed me. But can say sounds so much better

Attachments

• IMG_3635.jpeg
    IMG_3635.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Ran it yesterday on my ancient 11 Pro Max. The change was unbelievable. Was using regular EQ before. After running room correcting the difference is night and day. It sounded so bright before. I’m kinds me to this and don’t really understand all the numbers it showed me. But can say sounds so much better
Be careful that it doesn't cause clipping. You have a lot of boost at some frequencies.

Be careful that it doesn't cause clipping. You have a lot of boost at some frequencies.
Also. I’m super new at these kinds of things. Can you elaborate a little? As to maybe why they would would be boosted? Also should I rerun or adjust? Or should I leave it as is? I don’t want to stir up a hornet’s nest in the sound quality. Thank you for the help.

Also. I’m super new at these kinds of things. Can you elaborate a little? As to maybe why they would would be boosted? Also should I rerun or adjust? Or should I leave it as is? I don’t want to stir up a hornet’s nest in the sound quality. Thank you for the help.
I am no expert but to avoid clipping if it occurs you can set the "Volume limit" in audio settings. This thread exists to bring all these issues to light.

Meanwhile I am also getting better results! Reducing manually the max correction values from +12 to +7 and limiting the max volume to 90% made a big change! 👍🏻
Also I enter new possibilities: 💡
As I have 2 Subs, I begun to increase the low pass frequency of the Subs from around 45Hz to 70Hz, so that they contribute more to bass and the drivers of my ProAc speakers get less load in the lower departments… Still lots to explore… 😅

Last edited:
Here is my case. Since I use a subwoofer (another one is coming soon to make 2.2 system), I open the low end to 30Hz. I use iPhone 13 without case. RC tries to damp down low frequency - I don't see any null below 100Hz. I am more worried about a dip near ~150Hz. Do I hear anything different? Other the low end, I don't hear much difference.

IMG_0193.PNGIMG_0197.PNGIMG_0195.PNGIMG_0196.PNG

Back