How would you do it?

suarezjm

Hi ,

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V665, Sony SS-MF515 and of course Wiim Pro+. In my mind this is Level Entry audio equipment (Music Only). I've been reading, trying out configurations, trying to find out how to get the best performance out of all the equipment. Everything is connected like this:

Wiim (Tidal) ==RCA line Out ==>>== Receiver (No Subwoofer, LFE Bass out to Front SP, Front SP set to Large, Crossover 60khz, Pure Direct Sound)

If I use the coaxial or S/PDIF output of the wiim, does it improve or worsen, is there no difference?

How would you do it?

Hi ,

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V665, Sony SS-MF515 and of course Wiim Pro+. In my mind this is Level Entry audio equipment (Music Only). I've been reading, trying out configurations, trying to find out how to get the best performance out of all the equipment. Everything is connected like this:

Wiim (Tidal) ==RCA line Out ==>>== Receiver (No Subwoofer, LFE Bass out to Front SP, Front SP set to Large, Crossover 60khz, Pure Direct Sound)

If I use the coaxial or S/PDIF output of the wiim, does it improve or worsen, is there no difference?

How would you do it?

If you set pure direct, it bypasses all crossover setting. So for analogue input that is best

Unless the DAC in the Yamaha is better, in which case use coaxial from wiim to yamaha

Test both.

If you set pure direct, it bypasses all crossover setting. So for analogue input that is best

Unless the DAC in the Yamaha is better, in which case use coaxial from wiim to yamaha

Test both.
Thanks for your reply,

I was aware that using the Pure Direct Sound option is basically unprocessed audio, but I thought that maybe some receiver options were still operating like the crossovers. I'm going to try as you say using coaxial and with the receiver options active and without options ( Pure Direct Sound) we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your reply,

I was aware that using the Pure Direct Sound option is basically unprocessed audio, but I thought that maybe some receiver options were still operating like the crossovers. I'm going to try as you say using coaxial and with the receiver options active and without options ( Pure Direct Sound) we'll see how it goes.

Nope, pure direct disables everything.

Analogue to Digital conversion
Room correction
Crossovers
Bass/treble controls
Levels
Distance
Front panel display
Onscreen display
Possibly any HDMI upconversion.

it’s not as simple as that - users often ask questions like that because even at a very basic level, they see two choices and wonder if one is better than the other from some technical viewpoint, or they have read one of the many opinions expressed on the web that coax might be better than optical or vice versa. They ask here either to get another opinion or indeed validation of what they hear. It’s like seeing higher bitrates or pursuing bit perfection - when many of us started out, myself included, we wanted the satisfaction of those until we realised it’s really all about what sounds good to us personally and a lot of the other info is simply flim-flam.

On the other hand, one should also think of the numerous users who enjoy sharing their knowledge as often as possible 😉

Are you getting sound from your sub in this configuration?
Besides the "Direct" bypass, choosing "Large" front speakers should also disable the LFE output and send full spectrum to the front speakers.

At least that's what my RX-679 manual says.

This gave me fits when I first set up my system and the Yamaha calibration mic setup 'chose' a sub xover point and level--yet I wasn't hearing a peep from it.

I would prefer the Large-Small choice NOT act as a LFE switch that bypasses the Sub Yes-No setting. Maybe they've corrected that misleading quirk in newer models...?

Back