I can't connect to 2.4G wifi

TSHRED

I have my Pro Plus upstairs where 2.4G is ideal.

I had it working on 2.4 and decided to see if 5G would work up here also.

I had to take it downstairs in order for it to be found and it has defaulted to 5G.

I hold the play button down and get the slow blinking white light but it always defaults to 5G no matter where I put the switch. In fact and reactivates the switch on its own (shown below).

I'm guessing a factory reset?

The old saying holds true in this case, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it".

ON EDIT
I did a factory reset and that cured it.

Screenshot_20241020_100845_WiiM Home.jpg

Last edited:
Should not have been necessary. Pressing the play button for 3 seconds puts the WiiM into setup mode and you can connect it to a new network.

But you not only need to make sure that the 5 GHz only toggle is disabled. Also, your phone needs to be connected to the target network.

Should not have been necessary. Pressing the play button for 3 seconds puts the WiiM into setup mode and you can connect it to a new network.

But you not only need to make sure that the 5 GHz only toggle is disabled. Also, your phone needs to be connected to the target network.
Does my phone need to be on the 2.4G instead of the 5G of my home Wi-Fi? Is that what you're saying?

Don't confuse access point with network. A network may have many access points on different WiFi frequencies and via Ethernet.

While setting up the WiFi on a WiiM device it is however important to have your phone on same access point as you want to use for the device.

Don't confuse access point with network. A network may have many access points on different WiFi frequencies and via Ethernet.
Exactly, it needs to be on the same IP subnet, not the same WiFi SSID. I have my WiiM's all on Ethernet.
While setting up the WiFi on a WiiM device it is however important to have your phone on same access point as you want to use for the device.
Probably, if the app works in such a way that it copies the active WiFi from the phone. Since I have never set up the WiFi on the WiiM's I have no idea how it works.

Exactly, it needs to be on the same IP subnet, not the same WiFi SSID. I have my WiiM's all on Ethernet.
I used the term "target network" in a rather flippant way. Of course, after the setup has been completed the phone and the WiiM Pro Plus must be in the same network as identified by the subnet and with client isolation disabled.

But here we are talking about how to re-configure the Pro Plus so it will use the 2.4 GHz band instead of the 5 GHz band, both in the same network. It's a matter of the right procedure to reach this goal, and for that to work ...
Probably, if the app works in such a way that it copies the active WiFi from the phone. Since I have never set up the WiFi on the WiiM's I have no idea how it works.
... this is exactly how the WiiM Home app works, at least according to my own experience.

Long story short: To specifically connect a WiiM device using the 2.4 GHz band, make sure that your cellphone is connected using that band, then enter setup mode on the WiiM and complete the network setup in the WiiM Home app.

:)

Long story short: To specifically connect a WiiM device using the 2.4 GHz band, make sure that your cellphone is connected using that band, then enter setup mode on the WiiM and complete the network setup in the WiiM Home app.
It's been awhile since I set up the WiiM's but as I recall the phone connects to the WiFi of the WiiM for initial configuration, so the phone disconnects from the WiFi network. Then after some initial configuration the WiiM either connects to the network over Ethernet, or needs a WiFi network to be selected. But I am not sure it has to be the same SSID that was used by the phone before configuration was started.

It's been awhile since I set up the WiiM's but as I recall the phone connects to the WiFi of the WiiM for initial configuration, so the phone disconnects from the WiFi network. Then after some initial configuration the WiiM either connects to the network over Ethernet, or needs a WiFi network to be selected. But I am not sure it has to be the same SSID that was used by the phone before configuration was started.
I just re-configured my WiiM Amp Pro to use my 5 GHz Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet and the process was straight forward and exactly as explained above:
  • Remove the Ethernet cable (not necessary for switching from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz or the other way around)
  • Connect phone to 5 GHz Wi-Fi
  • Press the Play button for 3 seconds (WiiM confirms that the device is in setup mode now)
  • Close (if necessary) and open WiiM Home app and start the setup
  • WiiM device automatically connects to the very same Wi-Fi network used on the phone
  • Complete some final setup steps (like confirming your Chromecast and Alexa setup
  • Done
;) It's as easy as that.

Exactly the same procedure can be used to switch from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz. Just make sure your phone is actually connected to the target band. It's super easy. To be on the safe side, disable

Ethernet (if present) will always take precedence over Wi-Fi. Once you plug in the cable the WiiM Home app may inform you that it will search for your device, which might take a minute.

Back