Integra or power amplifier to Wiim Pro Plus or Ultra?

ArthurStereo

What do you think? Is it better to connect an amplifier with a preamplifier or a power amplifier to the WPP and Ultra?

WPP and Ultra have a good DAC, maybe the power amplifier itself at a comparable price to the integrated would make more sense?

The signal path would be much shorter, and all the operation, including volume control and this in the digital domain, is in the Wiim.

What do you think is better to spend money on? Integrated or power amplifier? 🙂

Last edited:
It depends on multiple factors;

1. Can either WPP or Ultra have all inputs types you need? Line input on WiiM may not be matching with your phono amp.
  2. Power amplifier has a gain level that matches output range of WiiM and your speaker sensitivity? If not, you may need an integrated amp or alternatively, you can add inline line-level attenuator.
  3. How many sets of speakers do you need to connect? For example, if you use 2 sets of speakers, you may need an integrated amp with speaker switch function.

The Wiim Line Out Level is adjustable. This can help match the Wiim as a preamp to a power amp. The Wiim Pro Plus inputs are sufficient for me. I mainly use streaming and only occasionally CD. I think the Wiim Pro Plus or Ultra can be a preamp.

I thought digital volume control/pre amps are generally poor?
I believe the digital volume control has enough headroom not to loose information. DAC chips used for WPP (AK) and Ultra (ESS) operate in 32-bit. So, if input is 24bit, it gives 8bit of digital volume control without loosing the quality. In practice, state of art DAC outputs about 20bit of information considering S/N.

The Wiim Line Out Level is adjustable. This can help match the Wiim as a preamp to a power amp. The Wiim Pro Plus inputs are sufficient for me. I mainly use streaming and only occasionally CD. I think the Wiim Pro Plus or Ultra can be a preamp.
If that's the case, I would go with a power amplifier instead of an integrated amplifier.

If a WiiM gives you the the inputs you require, I say spend your money on a power amp. I run a WPP as a preamplifier into a vintage B&K amplifier and it sounds great.

Back