Managing local playback files (samba).

BillB

I’ve just bought a Wiim Pro-Plus to replace a RPi running picoreplayer, as since mysqueezebox.com has gone I cannot get Tidal to stream high def audio. If I can get this working nicely I may replace another RPi with an Ultra.

I’m using a pro-plus, streaming Tidal (which works) and I have RPi5 running LMS to serve my picoreplayer machines (the plan is to run these in less critical areas, kitchen, garage etc). I’m running a Samba share of the media folder (about 1Tb of FLAC files) to the Wiim. The Wiim can see the folder and play files, but the order appears to be chronological as to when albums were copied over, and I see no way to re-structure the directories into a sensible order. Have I missed something on setup, is there an easier way to manage the file sharing? I’m still using some Pis with the LMS, so want to keep LMS active, and serve audio off the Pi5.

Many thanks for any advice.

Tbh, I’d stick with LMS and use that to play to your WiiM as it has squeezelite client built in - just using Samba would be a big step backward tbh.

yeah just stick with LMS.

Samba is useful if you want to find NAS on your network, browse by HD/file etc (like I do with my kodi box) but for music LMS is just better. Also with LMS you can browse by folder anyway, although with the samba method you can browse by entire drives as needed

Thanks for your reply.

This is currently what I’m doing, LMS material skin for the local files and Wiim home for Tidal. It feel a very poor way of doing things though. There must be a proper way of managing local playback through the Wiim home app that I’m missing?

Edit: also how do you go about searching local files?

Thanks for your reply.

This is currently what I’m doing, LMS material skin for the local files and Wiim home for Tidal. It feel a very poor way of doing things though. There must be a proper way of managing local playback through the Wiim home app that I’m missing?

Edit: also how do you go about searching local files?

In LMS? Use "Music Folder" option and/or "disks and folders" in the player/interface setting

In LMS? Use "Music Folder" option and/or "disks and folders" in the player/interface setting
Sorry I’m not being clear. I’m happy with LMS Material Skin to navigate my local files and send them to the Wiim pro+ (I’m no happy with LMS’ handling of Tidal). I’m happy with how Wiim Home manages Tidal (but not how it handles searching and selecting local files). I’m not happy having to swap between the two interfaces to operate the Wiim properly.

@BillB There is a DLNA Media Interface plugin for LMS that'll give you a better browsing experience in the WHA than samba alone.
That or run a UPnP server alongside LMS (can't do that with PiCorePlayer).

Last edited:
Sorry I’m not being clear. I’m happy with LMS Material Skin to navigate my local files and send them to the Wiim pro+ (I’m no happy with LMS’ handling of Tidal). I’m happy with how Wiim Home manages Tidal (but not how it handles searching and selecting local files). I’m not happy having to swap between the two interfaces to operate the Wiim properly.

I personally don't have a Wiim device. so unsure what the Wiim app offers or how it integrates, or compares to LMS

I do know Roon integrates everything but it's not cheap.

Temporary solution has been to sack Tidal off and go back to Qobuz which works with LMS at high-def perfectly well as far as I can see. Both have quite limited libraries, so I don’t feel I’m losing out so much.

Temporary solution has been to sack Tidal off and go back to Qobuz which works with LMS at high-def perfectly well as far as I can see. Both have quite limited libraries, so I don’t feel I’m losing out so much.
There is quite a degree of active development of the LMS Qobuz plugin. Some good stuff happening particularly in the classical area.

Back