Music and TV through Vintage Receiver

Jessup

Searched for this and couldn’t find an answer…. I am looking to hook up a Wiim Ultra to a Sony X90L (which does not have RCA/headphone jack out) and a vintage Pioneer SX 950 for both streaming music and the TV to be played through the same vintage JBL’s. Video will be through a Roku/desktop computer/blu ray.

Am I correct that I would go Wiim -> Pioneer with RCA’s….and then Wiim to -> TV with an optical cable? Would that play both streaming music through my Wiim iPhone app and TV sound for movies/shows through the speakers hooked up to the SX950?

Would HDMI Arc factor in at all? Any other input please chime in :) Thanks!

You can use any of the ultra's inputs with your vintage amp (I do the same thing with a pro plus).

The path is device -> wiim -> amp

TV -> Wiim via HDMI
Wiim RCA output -> Pioneer Amp via RCA aux input (avoid tape & phono)
Specifically use the HDMI port labeled eARC HDMI on the Sony TV and connect it to the WiiM HDMI port.

The Pioneer has the ability to be used as a power amp only. If you are so inclined, you could remove the jumpers on the back of the Pioneer and connect the OUT on the WiiM to the POWER IN on the Pionneer. But then you would lose the use of the AM/FM tuner in the Pioneer.

TV -> Wiim via HDMI
Wiim RCA output -> Pioneer Amp via RCA aux input (avoid tape & phono)

Unless it's a very old receiver (by which I mean late 60s) where the tape was in fact a "tape head" input (quite different from tape) there's no issue with using the tape connectors.

Back