One week experience - Review (updated after a month)

So, after 3 weeks and getting DLNA set up and running properly for my music collection thats for now, using App downloaded APK from Website 2.9.8.240515 (yeah, i know, there is 2.9.10 already? But not on the website) and Amp Firmware 5.0.619265

Pro
  1. Connection with the TV works like a charm
  2. One connection with Bluetooth works pretty well over all
  3. Internal stream from my NAS via DLNA works nicely
  4. The app is available as APK directly through the website
  5. The app works without google services (one of the reasons i bought it in the first place)
  6. Build quality is really good in my opinion
  7. Sound is really good
  8. Save individual volume per source is a really good feature
  9. WiiM seems look at user feedback
  10. WiiM are making updates to the Amp-Firmware and the App for new features.
Neutral
  1. Switching to bluetooth source always has to happen manually. No matter if it was TV or Ethernet before. Annoying, but not a big problem for me.
  2. Wording sometimes funny in the app, even in english.
  3. Trackers (but kinda understandable. Would like a Opt-Out :) )
  4. When not connected with WiFi and opening the WiiM App it just tells me "Your phone does not allow WiFi connection. Pleace activate WLAN and try again.". What it should do imo: Open the app, show the lower menu, "browse", "device" and "search" show the info "not connected!" and "Settings" should simply work.
  5. "Home Music Share"-UI. I aaalways have to click that button and then the DLNA-server again before i can select stuff. Thats usally something done once - after that it should just show "Album, All usic, Arrtist, Folders, Genre, ...". I don't think people are setting up multiple DLNA-Servers at their home (at least i think so) :D Bit annoying but whatever.
  6. "Home Music Share" - The Cover-Art in the App when playing a song is incredible low quality despite being available in reasonable size so it can be read on smartphone.
  7. Bluetooth is just one person at the same time. Just let more people connect at the same time (if paired) and the last one sending a new signal has priority.
Contra
  1. "bluetooth pairing mode" vs "setup mode" (setup-mode thats not abortable btw. there are threads about that). It feels like i have to get lucky if i hit setup mode or bluetooth pairing mode.
  2. "Home Music Share" - "Genre" - it seems to not support multiple Genres that are `;` separated. Thats really annoying. Basically every song i have is tagged with semikolon-separated-genre-tags that resuls in really, really, really a lot of genres in the overview.
  3. While the website-APK is there, it seems to be outdated because there is no automatic upload/build. That could potentially lead to unneccessary complaints - but i admit the count on that will be low because most people will probably simply download through google play store. But i think Huawei does not have an Play Store at all? If not automated, a simple, basic "New Release" Checklist or Kanban-Board with the point "Update Website APK"? :D
Wish?
Implementation for MetaBrainz services. Like there was last.fm listen and MetaBrainz is offering now a new open source service to scrobble the stuff you were hearing. https://listenbrainz.org/
They have quite some services, also they are creating a tool that lets you create a paylist of your local music depening on songs you put in there. The linux-music-player Guayadeque had that feature using last.fm-api inbuilt but it isn't develped anymore. There is a feature request on the Strawberry Music Player forum for that currently :D

Anyway, over all its a nice Amp and i like it and i'm happy, there is some smaller stuff thats a bit annoying and i'm aware not everything affects every WiiM Amp user out there, but thats it for me currently :) Also, don't know if something would be 'solved' with the new app version.

1. Internal stream from my NAS via DLNA works nicely
Are you using an external media server or the one built into the WiiM Amp?

1. "Home Music Share" - "Genre" - it seems to not support multiple Genres that are `;` separated. Thats really annoying. Basically every song i have is tagged with semikolon-separated-genre-tags that resuls in really, really, really a lot of genres in the overview.
Semicolons aren't a multi-value tag delimiter (though it may look that way in your tag editor). If you're seeing them in the WiiM Home app it's likely a problem with the server or editor. What editor and file format are you using?

EDIT: From a very quick test with MiniDLNA (the sever used in WiiM Amp) it looks like it only pulls the last value from a multi-value genre tag (something similar happens to the multi-value artist tag), although that doesn't match what I think you're seeing.

Last edited:
I have a NAS with OpenMediaVault and MiniDLNA-Server.

Well, i tag my music with MusicBrainz Picard and the music player i use on computer detects it correctly. I'm using Foobar2000 and started using Strawberry. But, the two players on android cannot deal with multi-genre-tags as well it seems after a short test.

I have a NAS with OpenMediaVault and MiniDLNA-Server.

Well, i tag my music with MusicBrainz Picard and the music player i use on computer detects it correctly. I'm using Foobar2000 and started using Strawberry. But, the two players on android cannot deal with multi-genre-tags as well it seems after a short test.
I believe you can install MinimServer on OpenMediaVault using Portainer which should address most of your DLNA issues, including the poor image quality as MiniDLNA only serves thumbnails.

Last edited:
Back