Playback from cloud drives

ccristal

Hi!
This has been in the "we may work on it in the future" list for some time now. Is there any progress on it?
Many of us have their entire CD collection ripped in FLAC on one cloud service or another, it would be great if there was direct support from the Wiim Home app.

Thank you! 😊

But in that case I would still need an Android device in order to stream music to the Wiim, right?
And the same applies to the mconnect solution, correct @merifon?

My idea is to let the streamer access OneDrive without the need of any other device and to use the Wiim Home app on my phone only as a remote control.

My current situation in the living room is this. I use my phone to stream music to my amp. This approach has two major downsides:
a) audio compression and
b) music only works when I'm around and nobody calls

So I want to improve the setup with a dedicated device that streams my music library with high quality from OneDrive.
One option would be a dedicated Android tablet connected to the amp (via USB or wireless depending on the use case).
The other - more elegant - option would be a Wiim (as long as it is able to access my music library).
I don't see why I would use both an Android device and a Wiim.
Even if the WiiM can access your music library you will still need your Android phone to control it.

Even if the WiiM can access your music library you will still need your Android phone to control it.
Sure, but music would still be playing when I'm on a call, scrolling through friend's statuses on social media etc.
And there would be no need for audio compression in order to transmit data to the amp.

But in that case I would still need an Android device in order to stream music to the Wiim, right?
And the same applies to the mconnect solution, correct @merifon?
I don't remember if, once started reproduction from cloud, mconnect has to keep running. I suppose yes and I'll check also if calls and notifications interfere.
I'm using either android and ios.

Sure, but music would still be playing when I'm on a call, scrolling through friend's statuses on social media etc.
And there would be no need for audio compression in order to transmit data to the amp.
Don't recall having any of those issues when using bubble to play tidal to my wiim with proxy enabled.
Can't see why onedrive as a source would be any different.
But yes, the bubble app does need to remain 'on'.

I'd appreciate if anybody here was willing to test if adding a OneDrive directory as a NAS location works as streaming solution with Wiim.
I know of a user that mounted his Google drive share on a Pi and had MinimServer index the collection. Obviously the indexing and initial caching of artwork is going to be slow but it should perform well enough.
This would be a better solution than mounting on a NAS and browsing it as a samba share in the WHA.

I don't have the time to test this any time soon though.

I am in Wosi’s camp. I would rather not have to use yet another app just for this purpose. It would be far more preferable to have the same functionality built into the WHA as was trailed by the WiiM engineers a year or two ago.

Back