Pro Plus Questions

traderfjp

Hi,

I bought a WiiM Pro Plus and configured it to play ultra HD files from Amazon over wifi. I was using a lower end bluetooth streamer before the WiiM. I haven't done an AB test but I do think the music sounds fuller with better bass extension using the WiiM. I have the WiiM analog outputs plugged into the CD inputs of my Anthem AVM-50 preamp which is then fed into a 5 channel Sherbourn amplifier. The preamp has several modes. I use all stereo. So all five speakers are playing stereo and downmixed for the center channel, if I'm not mistaken. Am I passing the full lossless signal to my speakers properly or is there another hookup I should be considering? I do prefer 5 channel music and have my setup upstairs for two channel listening when I want that.

From a quick glance of the back panel, it appears that you could send a digital signal from the WiiM to the Anthem by using taking the coaxial output of the WiiM and connecting it to one of the coaxial inputs on the Anthem.

Audio might sound better, the same, or worse using this connection.

Goo
Hi,

I bought a WiiM Pro Plus and configured it to play ultra HD files from Amazon over wifi. I was using a lower end bluetooth streamer before the WiiM. I haven't done an AB test but I do think the music sounds fuller with better bass extension using the WiiM. I have the WiiM analog outputs plugged into the CD inputs of my Anthem AVM-50 preamp which is then fed into a 5 channel Sherbourn amplifier. The preamp has several modes. I use all stereo. So all five speakers are playing stereo and downmixed for the center channel, if I'm not mistaken. Am I passing the full lossless signal to my speakers properly or is there another hookup I should be considering? I do prefer 5 channel music and have my setup upstairs for two channel listening when I want that.

Good kit but you don't know how to use it

Either send analogue out from pp into anthem using analogue bypass

Or use digital out.

Don't use all stereo that is a complete mess. If you want to expand music to all speakers use a music expansion mode like anthem music.

All stereo sends singing to all channels you don't want that.

Goo

Or use digital out.

Don't use all stereo that is a complete mess. If you want to expand music to all speakers use a music expansion mode

From a quick glance of the back panel, it appears that you could send a digital signal from the WiiM to the Anthem by using taking the coaxial output of the WiiM and connecting it to one of the coaxial inputs on the Anthem.

If I send a digital

Are you suggesting using the DAC in my anthem instead of the WiiM Pro Plus? It's worth a try not sure if a top tier dac from 2007 holds up against a lower priced dac from 2003. It's worth a try.

Goo

Or use digital out.

Don't use all stereo that is a complete mess. If you want to expand music to all speakers use a music expansion mode like anthem music.

All stereo sends singing to all channels you don't want that.
Yes. I'm learning but have a good base. I can play around with the modes. I am going to experiment with using the DAC in my Anthem and the WiiM. Do you think the Ultra would have a better DAC overall then both the pro and my Anthem? Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 22
Yes. I'm learning but have a good base. I can play around with the modes. I am going to experiment with using the DAC in my Anthem and the WiiM. Do you think the Ultra would have a better DAC overall then both the pro and my Anthem? Thanks
The DAC in the Pro plus is excellent. The Ultra might be marginally better, we'll see when it comes out... It's not just the chip but how it's been implemented (surrounding electronics) that matters.

we will see once the measured are known if some possessing both, over time, will give us subjective feedback...
we are practically in a little regime of terror where this, through the net, is almost becoming a ban...
the famous "asr bias"..
;-))

As rccarguy indicates, if you want to use the line out on the WiiM, unless you have the Anthem configured to Analog Direct for the input where the WiiM is connected, the Anthem will convert the analog signal from the WiiM into a digital signal, apply digital signal processing to it and then convert the signal back to analog using the Anthem DAC.

If you want to use the Anthem's digital signal processing why would you just send a digital signal to it and bypass the digital to analog back to digital conversion?

From the manual:
Anlg-Dir (Analog-Direct): The preamp plays the traditional role of switching inputs and adjusting
levels. All digital processing is bypassed.

The DAC in the Pro plus is excellent. The Ultra might be marginally better, we'll see when it comes out... It's not just the chip but how it's been implemented (surrounding electronics) that matters.
Yes. Better DAC, lower noise and better power supply. Does all this add up to better fidelity. Probably not but the added features are nice if you need them but for me I think the Pro Plus is all I need. I don't need the DAC.

As rccarguy indicates, if you want to use the line out on the WiiM, unless you have the Anthem configured to Analog Direct for the input where the WiiM is connected, the Anthem will convert the analog signal from the WiiM into a digital signal, apply digital signal processing to it and then convert the signal back to analog using the Anthem DAC.

If you want to use the Anthem's digital signal processing why would you just send a digital signal to it and bypass the digital to analog back to digital conversion?

From the manual:
Anlg-Dir (Analog-Direct): The preamp plays the traditional role of switching inputs and adjusting
levels. All digital processing is bypassed.
Yes. I did change the configuration to Optical in to the Anthem allowing me to use the Anthem DAC. I tried using the WiiM DAC which sounded a touch bright compared to the Anthem. In this config, I used the line out from the WiiM into the Aux RCA inputs on my Anthem. I believe this would allow me to use the WiiM DAC which sounds about the same as the Optical but perhaps a touch brighter but hard to say. I couldn't do a true A/B listening test. I may try Coax too which is suppose to be less lossy but I don't think there is an audible difference over optical and the Coax can introduce noise to the signal. I think I'm pointed in the right direction. I also upgraded to Tidal and am using the Connect feature and it sounds really great with the optical in.

Yes. I did change the configuration to Optical in to the Anthem allowing me to use the Anthem DAC. I tried using the WiiM DAC which sounded a touch bright compared to the Anthem. In this config, I used the line out from the WiiM into the Aux RCA inputs on my Anthem. I believe this would allow me to use the WiiM DAC which sounds about the same as the Optical but perhaps a touch brighter but hard to say. I couldn't do a true A/B listening test. I may try Coax too which is suppose to be less lossy but I don't think there is an audible difference over optical and the Coax can introduce noise to the signal. I think I'm pointed in the right direction. I also upgraded to Tidal and am using the Connect feature and it sounds really great with the optical in.
The coax is not 'less lossy' at all. Some DACs do have limits on how high a sample rate they support on optical, but beyond that optical is better than coax in that it will provide galvanic isolation. No ground loops or other noise through the wire along with your signal.

A digital signal isn't lossy in the traditional audio sense. Either the bits make it or they don't and if they don't you'll here serious clicking or weird distortion due to the DAC trying to overcome and it's time to get a new non broken fiber :)

Yes. Better DAC, lower noise and better power supply. Does all this add up to better fidelity. Probably not but the added features are nice if you need them but for me I think the Pro Plus is all I need. I don't need the DAC.
You might not even need a WiiM at all. You might be able to stream Amazon Music HD directly with your Anthem AVR using dts Play-Fi.

The coax is not 'less lossy' at all. Some DACs do have limits on how high a sample rate they support on optical, but beyond that optical is better than coax in that it will provide galvanic isolation. No ground loops or other noise through the wire along with your signal.

A digital signal isn't lossy in the traditional audio sense. Either the bits make it or they don't and if they don't you'll here serious clicking or weird distortion due to the DAC trying to overcome and it's time to get a new non broken fiber :)
Good to know. Interesting is that I played a 24bit, 192khz flac file and there is a status button on the Anthem which showed it was playing a 96khz pcm. Do you think it's a limitation of the preamp or cable? Going to try coax. Does it matter sound wide?

Good to know. Interesting is that I played a 24bit, 192khz flac file and there is a status button on the Anthem which showed it was playing a 96khz pcm. Do you think it's a limitation of the preamp or cable? Going to try coax. Does it matter sound wide?

I would not be surprised if the AVR's optical input can only play up to 96khz, but make sure 24bit / 192khz resolution is selected in the Audio Settings. You will also need to turn off Fixed Resolution.
1000000555.jpg

Also, as you said, coax could potentially play at 192khz.

As an aside, does your Anthem's CD input bypass the built-in DAC?
If not, Anthem converts the analog input to a digital signal with the ADC and then further converts it to an analog signal with the built-in DAC. In other words, connecting the WiiM and Anthem with RCA cables will use both the WiiM and Anthem's DACs, and the ADC may further degrade the sound quality. And it seems that many AVRs can't actually get around the built-in DAC. (Even if you use the direct mode.)

There are many source settings in the Anthem. I'm using the cd source input and set the source to analog direct to remove all processing. Source sounds great but I lost my subs. Not good. More playing but to totally remove all processing I may need the ultra with sub out. If I select directdsp I get my subs back with no lack of musical degregation. I have an Ultra on preorder too.

Last edited:
Back