Qobuz Club - Qobuz Connect Beta preview

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hi, if you’re a Qobuz user and a member of Qobuz Club, they’ve just put up a short video of their Connect beta in action, connecting from a PC to an iPad - guess they don’t want to reveal as yet which platforms they’re beta testing with, although I’m sure some of you will be able to identify some of the kit you can see in the background. Didn’t see a WiiM device but I wouldn’t necessarily infer anything negative from that. Must be getting closer now if they’re releasing sneak peeks…

Interesting architecture. Looks a bit Sonos-like, with multiple controllers displaying the target renderer state. Except the controllers can also be renderers as well. I wonder where the queue lives?

from the video posted they only demonstrated connect on the windows PC, ipad and what seems like a raspberry pi based streamer...?

i caught a glimpse of what looks like an eversolo streamer in the background... 🕵️‍♂️

@ratty you're right - it looks like it's gonna be like spotify connect where every device with the app on it is a potential endpoint/player/renderer. and so i believe the queue will live in the cloud? cos that's how it works with spotify connect i'm pretty sure?

I will give them a try once their connect become official. I am sure many of you will disagree with me but I could hear distinct difference between streaming services using same artwork. Don’t take my word for it. Google between tidal vs quoboz regarding sound quality. What hifi? Is one of them and you can find from individual who also use both. It takes golden ear to hear such difference.

I will give them a try once their connect become official. I am sure many of you will disagree with me but I could hear distinct difference between streaming services using same artwork. Don’t take my word for it. Google between tidal vs quoboz regarding sound quality. What hifi? Is one of them and you can find from individual who also use both. It takes golden ear to hear such difference.
I won't take your word for it, and definitely won't take What Hifi's word for it ;)
When I had both my lead ears couldn't tell them apart, but maybe I'll give qobuz another shot when connect lands on planet wiim.

I won't take your word for it, and definitely won't take What Hifi's word for it ;)
When I had both my lead ears couldn't tell them apart, but maybe I'll give qobuz another shot when connect lands on planet wiim.
Many factors including how old you are as you age your ear deteriorate, have been exposed on loud environment such as noisy city life which affect hearing in long term and do you know what to listen and what to look for like texture, depth, separation and clarity. Of course no ears created equal but if you have my ear you would push your theory. One example is starship nothing gonna stop us now where qoboz had extended treble while tidal has roll off high. This is same artwork comparison. Reviews we read online are subjective and it’s up to you if you want to take their word for it or go straight ASR measurements where there’s no conclusion how it sound. Again choices in life what path you want to take. I purchase dac based on asr measurements and damn it was sound polite which I don’t really enjoy. Good thing it has chouces where you can color the sound if you don’t like neutral. We also use RC which break bit perfect but many of us like how rc sound even not bit perfect. Let’s face it only few people like neutral sound many would prefer tailoring the sound to their liking.

@ratty you're right - it looks like it's gonna be like spotify connect where every device with the app on it is a potential endpoint/player/renderer. and so i believe the queue will live in the cloud? cos that's how it works with spotify connect i'm pretty sure?
Three possibilities for the queue location:
  1. In the app (as now), but what then happens when the first app is closed by the user? A handoff between apps?
  2. In the cloud
  3. In the target renderer (like Sonos), unlikely as it would impose additional memory demands that some manufacturers may refuse
Your guess of the cloud could be correct, but that means additional server capacity that someone has to pay for. Unlike Spotify, Qobuz is very small and would need to pass on the cost.
Also, would the queue start off in the cloud for everyone, even for standalone operation, or be uploaded from the app on the fly when the user begins to cast?

Their connect been in development since the Stone Age but at lease there’s outcome after all this time. Spotify hifi anyone? 😂

Still no wiim connect?
What do you mean? Qobuz Connect on WiiM? Not possible till Qobuz release the feature that third parties like WiiM can adopt - that's not to say that beta testing might be going on behind the scenes

I don't understand. Please explain
I think it was just meant as a joke as the topic has been discussed a great deal on the forum.

So, back to my question - what did you mean by WiiM connect?

I mean wiim connect in Qobuz app simular to wiim connect in the TIDAL app. I read somewhere that it will be released soon.

Ok, Qobuz Connect (to give it its correct name) which will enable the Qobuz app to “connect” to endpoint players such as, but not restricted to, WiiM devices has been in development at Qobuz for a good long while and while this thread revealed a beta video of it in operation, it has yet to be formally released by Qobuz. As has been mentioned, I’m sure some third parties like WiiM are participating in its beta testing along with Qobuz but no indication as to when it might be available to end users has been communicated. “Soon” could be next month or next year, nobody but Qobuz knows.

Much like Spotify hifi when they said “it will be available later this year” never seen light of day up to now.

The difference is: For some reason people don't bug WiiM for not introducing Spotify Hi-Fi, but they do for not introducing Qobuz Connect. ;)

One more time: It's Qobuz' task to develop Qobuz Connect, not WiiM's task.

It's not like WiiM enabling some generic "connect" feature for streaming service S and T, but refusing to do so for streaming service Q. It simply doesn't work that way.

Some news about Qobuz connect and the WiiM mini:

EDIT: Text copied to here because not everybody can read it:

FYI for anyone thinking of getting a WiiM mini - I have been speaking with WiiM to encourage them to support connect. Unfortunately their support mentioned it likely won’t work on the mini due to ram limits.

In a way this is good news as it demonstrates they might have been trying to implement connect.

I did unfortunately get a mini thinking it would support connect after hearing WiiM would be one of the first to support it but unfortunately looks like this was a purchase in vein

Fortunately I held more purchases of minis, other than the one I have, due to not knowing and hopefully others haven’t purchased WiiM mini hoping it would get connect.

It would be great to get confirmation from manufacturers and or Qobuz which devices will support Connect at launch otherwise hard to plan a system.

Back