Room Correction for separate channels.......what if?

Maurizio

Major Contributor
Hi to all
I'll start by saying I'm totally clueless about EQ. I'm just getting started with RC and I'm experimenting. So don't crucify me or stone me. ๐Ÿ˜‚
I had a crazy idea to try RC per channel and would like to hear from someone who knows about it if it could work.๐Ÿค”
So, here's my crazy idea: :
1) I move the balance all the way to the left channel. I use the RC with the microphone facing the left speaker and I continue until I get an equalization curve
2) I repeat the procedure for the right channel
3) I go to the PEQ screen and choose left + right instead of stereo
4) I copy the values obtained by measuring the left and right channels into the respective channels of the PEQ
5) I start listening using left+right instead of stereo
What would happen? Would it work or would it be a total mess and I would just have wasted my time?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‚
I would like to hear from someone who actually knows how to use equalization.
Of course I hope WiiM, in an update, introduces RC per channel as soon as possible
Greetings to all

Hi to all
I'll start by saying I'm totally clueless about EQ. I'm just getting started with RC and I'm experimenting. So don't crucify me or stone me. ๐Ÿ˜‚
I had a crazy idea to try RC per channel and would like to hear from someone who knows about it if it could work.๐Ÿค”
1) I move the balance all the way to the left channel. I use the RC with the microphone facing the left speaker and I continue until I get an equalization curve
4) I copy the values obtained by measuring the left and right channels into the respective channels of the PEQ
What would happen? Would it work or would it be a total mess and I would just have wasted my time?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‚
Of course I hope WiiM, in an update, introduces RC per channel as soon as possible
Greetings to all
Since you have an idea what you stated let us know if itโ€™s success or failure. You do the work and fill us the information afterwards. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hi to all
Greetings to all
I am in the middle of some crazy experimentation myself, so I think I know exactly how you feel.๐Ÿ˜ (I have my main speakers hooked up to the Ultra and my subs to the Pro.)

I have to agree with @Smartplug on this one, but with "(1)" it might be better to use the "audio channel" instead of the balanced slider. (In the case of balanced, there should be a bit of sound coming out of one speaker as well.)

Also, if you are using Sub, your experiment may be complicated.

I look forward to your report on the results.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hi to all
Greetings to all
Correct way to do it :

Buy a real measurement microphone and a interface . Measure from listeningposition 20-300 Hz .

Measure 300-20000 Hz 70 cm from each speaker on axis and 15 degrees off axis .
Use the average function in REW or audiotools .

Print the values in the manual PEQ function for the Ultra .

Finished .

Now you have a speaker that sounds like it plays music outside in the nature, it will sound terrible because your eyes and brain expect the sound from a room .

Because of that - you need to boost the low end with shelving , about + 6 dB from 100 Hz and below .

Hi @Wiimer and @Smartplug
You two are really sly foxes ;) . I expected a dry answer and instead what do I get? Try it and let us know. Well thought out.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
At this point I will try and let you know.

Correct way to do it :

Buy a real measurement microphone and a interface . Measure from listeningposition 20-300 Hz .

Measure 300-20000 Hz 70 cm from each speaker on axis and 15 degrees off axis .
Use the average function in REW or audiotools .

Print the values in the manual PEQ function for the Ultra .

Finished .

Now you have a speaker that sounds like it plays music outside in the nature, it will sound terrible because your eyes and brain expect the sound from a room .

Because of that - you need to boost the low end with shelving , about + 6 dB from 100 Hz and below .
Hi @Musician
It seems a bit complicated to me, but thanks for the answer๐Ÿค—

I am in the middle of some crazy experimentation myself, so I think I know exactly how you feel.๐Ÿ˜ (I have my main speakers hooked up to the Ultra and my subs to the Pro.)

I have to agree with @Smartplug on this one, but with "(1)" it might be better to use the "audio channel" instead of the balanced slider. (In the case of balanced, there should be a bit of sound coming out of one speaker as well.)

Hi @Wiimer
You say to use Audio Channel, but a strange thing happens to me. A few days ago, out of curiosity, I played with the settings Stereo; Mono; Left; Right.
Well, when I set the channel to LH or RH the sound kept coming out of the two speakers. I don't know why.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
If I use the balance slider one of the two speakers becomes silent.
Any ideas why selecting Dx or Sx from audio channel doesn't work?
Take care

Hi @Wiimer
You say to use Audio Channel, but a strange thing happens to me. A few days ago, out of curiosity, I played with the settings Stereo; Mono; Left; Right.
Well, when I set the channel to LH or RH the sound kept coming out of the two speakers. I don't know why.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
Take care
When set on left there should be no sound on right and vice versa.

Hi @Wiimer
Take care
I'm already in bed today, so I'll test it tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜„

When set on left there should be no sound on right and vice versa.
Yes. I thought the same, but itโ€™s not so. I have sound on both channels. I will try with Pro and Mini to see if it happens the same thing

Hi @Wiimer
I forgot. No, i have no sub. Only two floor standing loudspeakers :giggle:

Hi @Wiimer and @Smartplug
Finally, having time, I decided to put my crazy idea into practice. For the channel balance I decided not to use the Wiim Home App, but I intervened in a more decisive way, I think. ๐Ÿค”
I deactivated the "Direct On" function of my Pioneer Urushi Pre and then I changed the balance from left to right with the knob of the pre.;)
Putting my ear close to the non-selected speaker, no sound came out.
This is what I got

IMG_20240821_183800.jpg
IMG_20240821_183813.jpg
What do you think? To you who know more than me, do these seem like coherent and reasonable values/interventions or messed up?
Listening by ear, I would say it worked.
The sound did not change drastically, but it was, I would say, refined. Also more channel separation and better soundstage depth and width. Or.....am i biased? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
A bit like what I found with the BK 40/40.000 KHz curve using the Automatic Room Correction in stereo mode.
I would appreciate your opinion.
Even a tip for the work done and the time wasted would be appreciated. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Itโ€™s night time in Japan. He canโ€™t be listening on loud level or the neighbors will be doing martial art on him. ๐Ÿ˜†
Hi @Smartplug
I tested the channels with the Pro connected to another external DAC (SMSL 500MKIII) and in a different way. Coaxial. The Ultra is connected to the Topping via USB. Nothing to do, if you select left or right channel the sound continues to come out of both speakers.๐Ÿค”โ˜น๏ธ
It makes me think that this function of the WHA channels does not work.
The Mono function works instead.

Hi @Smartplug
I tested the channels with the Pro connected to another external DAC (SMSL 500MKIII) and in a different way. Coaxial. The Ultra is connected to the Topping via USB. Nothing to do, if you select left or right channel the sound continues to come out of both speakers.๐Ÿค”โ˜น๏ธ
It makes me think that this function of the WHA channels does not work.
The Mono function works instead.
Thank you for taking your time on your adventure. Now, how does it sound in comparison with stereo rc vs independent rc? @Wiimer from Japan is snoozing on his sleep and wonโ€™t answer till the next day.

Thank you for taking your time on your adventure. Now, how does it sound in comparison with stereo rc vs independent rc? @Wiimer from Japan is snoozing on his sleep and wonโ€™t answer till the next day.
Hi @Smartplug
Good question. I'll tell you my impressions. As I said, the differences between the unequalized sound, the stereo equalization, and the per-channel equalization are very subtle. The sound, compared to the unequalized sound, has not changed totally.This could make me think that RC did a good job. If I had had a completely different sound I would have been wary.
The main difference I found between the Stereo EQ and the Per-Channel EQ concerns the reproduction of the bass. In the stereo EQ, the bass, for me, was perhaps a little too cut compared to the non-EQ sound.
In the per-channel EQ, the bass became more evident, but much more solid and less "boomy" compared to the non-EQ sound.
Another improvement in the per-channel EQ I found in the channel separation which in my opinion has improved.
The same goes for the soundstage which seems a little wider and deeper.

Hi @Smartplug
Good question. I'll tell you my impressions. As I said, the differences between the unequalized sound, the stereo equalization, and the per-channel equalization are very subtle. The sound, compared to the unequalized sound, has not changed totally.This could make me think that RC did a good job. If I had had a completely different sound I would have been wary.
The main difference I found between the Stereo EQ and the Per-Channel EQ concerns the reproduction of the bass. In the stereo EQ, the bass, for me, was perhaps a little too cut compared to the non-EQ sound.
In the per-channel EQ, the bass became more evident, but much more solid and less "boomy" compared to the non-EQ sound.
Another improvement in the per-channel EQ I found in the channel separation which in my opinion has improved.
The same goes for the soundstage which seems a little wider and deeper.
Thanks! Hopefully, when wiim incorporate this independent peq would take rc to whole new level. Again, thank you very much for taking your time. I really appreciate it!

Hi,

I am also in the process of playing around with L/R PEQ using REW and a calibrated microphone in the process. So far, I have only measured both speakers and the sub separately, adjusted crossover frequency and delay, measured the whole system together from listening position, fitted the curve to Harman in REW and exported the filters from 20-200 Hz into the Wiim App PEQ. I got rid of room resonances and my system never sounded that good.

Next, I would like to experiment with PEQ for L/R. I will proceed as @Musician suggested, making close on-axis measurements of each individual speaker and apply correction from rom 200 to 20000 Hz in order to make both speakers sound as similarly as possible. Then, I will repeat the above mentioned correction.

In summary, I will globally correct for room resonances in the lower frequencies from listening position and I will individually correct above those frequencies using on-axis close measurements for each of the speakers to try to match their sound as much as possible.

Quick question to @WiiM Team, is there a way to listen exclusively to the sub? In order to measure my sub with the crossover active, I had to unplug the speakers from my amp (did not find any other way). Measuring only the speakers with the crossover active was relatively easy by setting the volume of the sub to 0.

I forgot to say that for my experiment of per-channel EQ i used BK curve with standard values of RC. 40-4000 KHz

Back