Scaling the WiiM amp for future use.

BK308

I am currently using my WiiM amp to power my 120 watt JBL bookshelf’s. I eventually want a full 120 watts to my speakers. I’d like to keep the WiiM amp and use the usb out to connect to an external DAC. Then from the DAC to, let’s say the Fosi audio mono blocks then to my JBL’s. Am I able to use the WiiM amp in this fashion, effectively disabling the on board DAC and amp and using the WiiM amp as a preamp?
Thanks Ben

I am currently using my WiiM amp to power my 120 watt JBL bookshelf’s. I eventually want a full 120 watts to my speakers. I’d like to keep the WiiM amp and use the usb out to connect to an external DAC. Then from the DAC to, let’s say the Fosi audio mono blocks then to my JBL’s. Am I able to use the WiiM amp in this fashion, effectively disabling the on board DAC and amp and using the WiiM amp as a preamp?
Thanks Ben
Yes, you could do that. If it makes any sense is a different story. There's no benefit in matching amplifier output with speakers' power handling.

Which are your speakers?

Yes, you could do that. If it makes any sense is a different story. There's no benefit in matching amplifier output with speakers' power handling.

Which are your speakers?
Why wouldn’t it make sense? The internal DAC is ok but I want a better one down the line. My current speakers are my old JBL 4410a’s. They obviously don’t require the full 120 watts as they are sensitive to volume. But I do feel the 60 watts in the WiiM is a little underwhelming. It doesn’t sound bad just need a more ooomph. And I don’t want to buy a WiiM ultra when the amp has similar features.

Why wouldn’t it make sense? The internal DAC is ok but I want a better one down the line. My current speakers are my old JBL 4410a’s. They obviously don’t require the full 120 watts as they are sensitive to volume. But I do feel the 60 watts in the WiiM is a little underwhelming. It doesn’t sound bad just need a more ooomph. And I don’t want to buy a WiiM ultra when the amp has similar features.
Where will this extra oomph come from? Are you using your WiiM amp at 100% volume?

Which source are you using then? If I didn't use replaygain for my local library 100% would be very loud. It is loud even
I don’t care about volume. My speakers require at least 100 watts until they start sounding how I prefer them. The WiiM amp cannot give me the required amps. BUT the WiiM amp will digitize everything I put into it with its ADC. What I need is to send that digital info to any DAC I choose. I want to know if the WiiM amp can do this through its usb out. Why I’m doing it this way is nobody’s concern. I want to know if the WiiM amp is flexible in this manner.

I don’t care about volume. My speakers require at least 100 watts until they start sounding how I prefer them. The WiiM amp cannot give me the required amps. BUT the WiiM amp will digitize everything I put into it with its ADC. What I need is to send that digital info to any DAC I choose. I want to know if the WiiM amp can do this through its usb out. Why I’m doing it this way is nobody’s concern. I want to know if the WiiM amp is flexible in this manner.
Yes it is

Back