Airplay 2 : Wiim Pro Plus vs Wiim Amp

I’m surprised that the Wiim Amp has Airplay but the Amp Pro doesn’t. Is it a cost saving issue, not paying a royalty?

I’m surprised that the Wiim Amp has Airplay but the Amp Pro doesn’t. Is it a cost saving issue, not paying a royalty?
You can ask here but you will not receive an exhaustive explanation. At some point the relationship between Apple and WiiM suffered somehow. The WiiM Ultra was the first product to not receive AirPlay certification. See WiiM's statement on this subject here:

Those who know what's happened in more detail are certainly not allowed to do so. The rest of us can only speculate. Cost saving for the two most expensive WiiM products so far (Ultra and Amp Pro) seems unlikely to me. WiiM actively trying to not please Apple users doesn't sound more convincing.

For now we just have to accept the facts: No AirPlay for WiiM Amp Pro and for WiiM Ultra.

You can ask here but you will not receive an exhaustive explanation. At some point the relationship between Apple and WiiM suffered somehow. The WiiM Ultra was the first product to not receive AirPlay certification. See WiiM's statement on this subject here:

Those who know what's happened in more detail are certainly not allowed to do so. The rest of us can only speculate. Cost saving for the two most expensive WiiM products so far (Ultra and Amp Pro) seems unlikely to me. WiiM actively trying to not please Apple users doesn't sound more convincing.

For now we just have to accept the facts: No AirPlay for WiiM Amp Pro and for WiiM Ultra.
I have a feeling this all relates to the Airplay Transmitter feature that was removed a few months ago. I don’t believe Apple allows officially licensed products to transmit over Airplay, only their own. They could have a hard time getting certification now.

The “Works with AirPlay” logo is on the box. I’m pretty sure it can’t legally be there without certification.
Thank you very much!
My bad, I didn't notice that logo on the box.
This is indeed the "smoking gun" I was looking for.
But now I would be very curious to know why Apple does not also certify the Ultra and the Amp Pro!

I have a feeling this all relates to the Airplay Transmitter feature that was removed a few months ago. I don’t believe Apple allows officially licensed products to transmit over Airplay, only their own. They could have a hard time getting certification now.
I have thought the same. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

I have a personal opinion and suspicion here (and there are a couple more aspects to this), but any further discussion is pointless.

The explanation in the link says that they thought they could provide Airplay, but a hardware limitation prevented it, and they decided to not delay the product to fix it. Translation, there was a mistake in the hardware design.

The explanation in the link says that they thought they could provide Airplay, but a hardware limitation prevented it, and they decided to not delay the product to fix it. Translation, there was a mistake in the hardware design.
No, that is not the case (and if it was, this surely had been corrected for the Amp Pro). Technically, the Ultra does support AirPlay, but it's not allowed to. I didn't want to talk about this over and over again, but since speculation comes up over and over again, here comes more food for thought: They mentioned the missing MFi chip. What do you think how many of the previous products do incorporate this chip? Hint: Searching the Internet you will find that Apple did certify either hardware or software based solutions in the past. But it's totally up to them how they deal with this.

Back