24bit toslink out to DAC broken. Wiim fixed it for me!.

Longfellow78

Edit: I found the source of all of my glitches and lag. It was 24bit sound set in the optical out. Setting it to 16bit fixed all of the problems. This is why it was so erratic. Songs playing in 24bit messed up, but those in 16bit played fine.

If you're having issues I suggest not using 24bit via toslink. The khz doesn't make any difference.

Edit 2: Ok. Bought a coaxial cable to connect out of ultra into DAC. It works perfectly now playing 24bit/96k. So the optical cable, or the optical output on my unit cannot support 24bit play into an external DAC. It also is much much faster to play with no lag unlike before when it took 4-5 second to play a track.

1) Why is the device so so slow. I'm connected by ethernet, it takes up to 10 seconds to change track streaming from Amazon music. sometimes it stops when you change track. Sometimes it pauses and resumes the original track.
2) The Alexa voice control doesn't work. Sometimes pressing the mic button doesn't work, sometimes it registers but doesn't change, sometimes it changes to the wrong song, sometimes it just pauses the music. Most times it goes quiet and just resumes the song it was playing.
3) You can't play local files from the Screen - one of main reasons I bought device - idiotic design decision.
4) Terrible design to ask for a confirmation to change source, after you clicked the input button, and then the source, and it asks you to confirm change of source. What do they think will happen if this extra needless step is absent. Explosion? Madness.
5) The screen should have a home button on all screens. It's totally random which ones have it and which don't why don't the music player screens have a button to go home?
6) The link between amazon music and the device is furstratingly slow, it may be same issue as 1). I press play on amazon music and have the wiim as the output device - the song shows as playing on the phone, gets up to 20 seconds before it starts on the ultra, and the timings are out of sync. Press pause on the phone - wiim takes 5 seconds to pause, then phone time elaped goes back to match wiim.
7) It regularly misses the beginning of tracks due to the crazy lag.

Some other bugs I found but forgot in my frustration. The voice control one really is absurd though. The Wiim pro was perfect in this regard.

Last edited:
Have you submitted a support ticket about your issues via the WiiM Home app?
Thanks for the reply. Is that through "send us feedback"? Or somewhere else? I thought we just compained here. Grrrr, was just listening to a song. Pressed the alexa button and told it to play something else. Silence for ages, then resumed my original song after 20 seconds. Pressing play when the music has been paused takes 5-6 seconds to resume. I HATE this thing as much as I loved the pro I just got rid of. surely I'm not the only one with these bugs.

edit: just submitted on the website. Thanks

Last edited:
have not experienced that slowness whatsoever myself. Is it running the newest firmware? Maybe try a factory reset?
Thanks, I already tried that. I assumed everyone must be having this issue. So weird you are not. There is another thread someone else seems to be having similar problems though.

edit: I guess I am a little reassured though if it's just me, as it's not endemic to the unit.

Same here, no problem at all for me. It’s quick and responsive, haven’t found any bugs yet

Thanks for the reply. Is that through "send us feedback"? Or somewhere else? I thought we just compained here. Grrrr, was just listening to a song. Pressed the alexa button and told it to play something else. Silence for ages, then resumed my original song after 20 seconds. Pressing play when the music has been paused takes 5-6 seconds to resume. I HATE this thing as much as I loved the pro I just got rid of. surely I'm not the only one with these bugs.
Yes, it is through feedback. This will allow support to get access to the logs on your device, which may help to resolve your issues.

I would return the unit and get a replacement (or revert to Pro). I thought about upgrading from Pro Plus to Ultra but waited. I will wait until the version 2 will come out.

3) tbh on a touchscreen, using the screen to navigate a list of folders is pretty awful experience (I have a another brands audio streamer with a larger touch screen) I'd recommend using the remote to scroll, just looking at the screen/folders

Can understand it's useful for usb stick for quick pl playback.

Browsing by folder will probably be added just whenever wiim get round to it

But yeah should have ability to scroll through artists, albums etc from the screen, like I can with my sb

Attachments

• IMG_20240805_221726123.jpg
    IMG_20240805_221726123.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 21
Browsing by folder will probably be added just whenever wiim get round to it
You mean added to the touchscreen? If they should really add local file playback to the touchscreen (and we agree on that this is generally not very convenient for anything but a handful of albums) why should they artificially limit it to browsing by folder? I'd expect support for what's currently available in the WiiM Home App. Browse by song, album, artist, genre, folder, and playlists.

A search function on the tiny screen probably wouldn't make any sense.

You mean added to the touchscreen? If they should really add local file playback to the touchscreen (and we agree on that this is generally not very convenient for anything but a handful of albums) why should they artificially limit it to browsing by folder? I'd expect support for what's currently available in the WiiM Home App. Browse by song, album, artist, genre, folder, and playlists.

A search function on the tiny screen probably wouldn't make any sense.

Yeah I'd want to be there also (so it functions like my SB)

Agree browsing in a large database (my album artist branch is 800 long) is a pain but once you go into that specific artist, it's not too bad. Or for smaller libraries , or by folder I use A, B, C, D, E etc to Z so main branch is <30, then because of the A-Z listing, then A is limited to artists with A..so it's still ok to go through them all.

That's where more functional media servers will help as they can be configured to present A-Z groupings for indexes (Album/AlbumArtist/Artist etc) that exceed a certain size.

Yeah I'd want to be there also (so it functions like my SB)

Agree browsing in a large database (my album artist branch is 800 long) is a pain but once you go into that specific artist, it's not too bad. Or for smaller libraries , or by folder I use A, B, C, D, E etc to Z so main branch is <30, then because of the A-Z listing, then A is limited to artists with A..so it's still ok to go through them all.
I wonder how many users are going to do what you're proposing on a 3 inch screen? Gluttons for punishment, I'd suggest 😁. For any practical use, I'd suggest a screen no less than 6 ins. is needed. People are expecting too much fro the Ultra's small screen.

That's where more functional media servers will help as they can be configured to present A-Z groupings for indexes (Album/AlbumArtist/Artist etc) that exceed a certain size.

Does wiim app have this like LMS, on the left, on database section? That way your don't need to scroll through pages just press "d" and goes straight to first artist with D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240805-225920.png
    Screenshot_20240805-225920.png
    747.3 KB · Views: 16
Does wiim app have this like LMS, on the left, on database section? That way your don't need to scroll through pages just press "d" and goes straight to first artist with D
The WiiM Home App doesn't but the server can generate the A-Z index. Doing it this way the server doesn't need to send all X00 artists/albums with the associated metadata, it just sends the A-Z index and the user makes a selection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240805-230802.png
    Screenshot_20240805-230802.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 12
1) Why is the device so so slow. I'm connected by ethernet, it takes up to 10 seconds to change track streaming from Amazon music. sometimes it stops when you change track. Sometimes it pauses and resumes the original track.
2) The Alexa voice control doesn't work. Sometimes pressing the mic button doesn't work, sometimes it registers but doesn't change, sometimes it changes to the wrong song, sometimes it just pauses the music. Most times it goes quiet and just resumes the song it was playing.
3) You can't play local files from the Screen - one of main reasons I bought device - idiotic design decision.
4) Terrible design to ask for a confirmation to change source, after you clicked the input button, and then the source, and it asks you to confirm change of source. What do they think will happen if this extra needless step is absent. Explosion? Madness.
5) The screen should have a home button on all screens. It's totally random which ones have it and which don't why don't the music player screens have a button to go home?
6) The link between amazon music and the device is furstratingly slow, it may be same issue as 1). I press play on amazon music and have the wiim as the output device - the song shows as playing on the phone, gets up to 20 seconds before it starts on the ultra, and the timings are out of sync. Press pause on the phone - wiim takes 5 seconds to pause, then phone time elaped goes back to match wiim.
7) It regularly misses the beginning of tracks due to the crazy lag.

Some other bugs I found but forgot in my frustration. The voice control one really is absurd though. The Wiim pro was perfect in this regard.
What is your internet speed that you have on your provider? I ask because if your subscription speed is slow and when it get congested during time when everyone home around your area your speed goes slow. I have no problem using amazon on mine in fact it’s lightning speed. Fiber 5G symmetrical.

Back