Some questions about app UI when playing owned media

Well we do know it's got a Quadcore A53 CPU, 512MB of RAM and apparently it gets recognized as a Chrome OS device on the network ;)

Pretty similar to a RBPi 3
Thanks I have never seen that anywhere. Why ChromeOS though? Is that Windows being stupid?

512gb RAM is quite light if it’s going to have to serve a database of 100k plus files out to the app. It won’t be very responsive to scrolling / paging requests.

As you already have a Pi why not get hold of piCorePlayer and install LMS on a spare SD card. The Pi can be both player and server.
If you then decide to get an Ultra it will (should) immediately appear as a player in LMS. You’ll need to install Material skin plugin into LMS and then whatever additional plugins you feel suitable.
Full instructions at piCorePlayer.org
LMS works really well with all WiiMs or maybe it’s the other way around.
I use LMS on my Notebook and an App on my iPhone that is called iPeng. Works perfectly… 👍🏻
I use LMS for over 10 years (with a Logitech Squeezebox Touch in earlier days), it has all the features you can imagine; strong recommendation! ☺️

Thanks I have never seen that anywhere. Why ChromeOS though? Is that Windows being stupid?
No it was a reviewer who noticed it was recognized like this by his router. Makes perfect sense though as they've always stated there's some form of lightweight Linux running on the WiiM devices. Heavily modified and stripped down of course :)

I'm waiting 'till the day we can run retro game emulators on the Ultra 😂

Last edited:
No it was a reviewer who noticed it was recognized like this by his router. Makes perfect sense though as they've always stated there's some form of lightweight Linux running on the WiiM devices. Heavily modified and stripped down of course :)

I'm waiting 'till the day we can run retro game emulators on the Ultra 😂
The brand of Linux has been named and it is recognisable just doesn't come to mind at present. I'd suggest that the router is wrong.

The processor is an AMLogic A113x. I think it could also be seen in a WiiM Amp teardown (and WiiM confirmed that the Ultra is using the same CPU). Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53.

Third parties are referring to 512 MiB of DRAM and 512 MiB of flash memory.

Hello. New Member, please be gentle.
I am using the WiiM Pro for several month. Many things are very good, some things i am missing.
The WiiM App is easy to handle (iPhone and iPad)
- When i brouse my Network-Music under „Albums“ there are only small CD-Covers with only the Album-Title.
Why is there no Grid-view of my Albums with „Album-Title“ and „Album-Artist“? Like in the iPeng-App for LMS.
For exaple: 4-5 Albums in landscape-Mode an 3 Albums in vertical-mode.
- While Playing music and browsing for some other music there is in the „Now Playing-row in the bottom a little Album-Art, the Title-Information and a Pause-Button.
Please add a Button for „back“ and „Next Title“. This would be a big improvement.

- When i brouse my Network-Music under „Albums“ there are only small CD-Covers with only the Album-Title.
If you're browsing via Home Music Share then it's likely a limitation of your media server. Which one are you using?

UPnP browsing in the WHA is very limited, if it doesn't meet your needs try using a third party control point or an alternative interface such as SqueezeLite.

If you're browsing via Home Music Share then it's likely a limitation of your media server. Which one are you using?

UPnP browsing in the WHA is very limited, if it doesn't meet your needs try using a third party control point or an alternative interface such as SqueezeLite.
I use Home Music Share. A SSD with my music (Flac and mp3) is plugged into a Raumfeld Connector 2 by Teufel. In the Raumfeld App it works well. But there is no remote-control. Before that i had a Squeezebox Touch with a synology NAS.
Is there a better Search-Function in the WiiM Ultra? Searching in „Albums“.
Or with the upcoming DLNA-Funktion?

I use Home Music Share. A SSD with my music (Flac and mp3) is plugged into a Raumfeld Connector 2 by Teufel. In the Raumfeld App it works well. But there is no remote-control. Before that i had a Squeezebox Touch with a synology NAS.
Is there a better Search-Function in the WiiM Ultra? Searching in „Albums“.
Or with the upcoming DLNA-Funktion?
Try browsing the music served by the Raumfeld using mconnect. If the results are the same as the WHA then the Raumfeld isn't providing the necessary detail to external control points.

UPnP search relies on the underlying media server so it's probably worth trying a better server e.g. MinimServer.

The WiiM Ultra does provide its own indexing but it can't compete with the likes of MinimServer, AssetUPnP e.t.c.

Try browsing the music served by the Raumfeld using mconnect. If the results are the same as the WHA then the Raumfeld isn't providing the necessary detail to external control points.

UPnP search relies on the underlying media server so it's probably worth trying a better server e.g. MinimServer.

The WiiM Ultra does provide its own indexing but it can't compete with the likes of MinimServer, AssetUPnP e.t.c.
mconnect has the same results. My wish is a simple system without a NAS or a Pi.
Thank you for your Informations.

mconnect has the same results. My wish is a simple system without a NAS or a Pi.
Thank you for your Informations.
If you want simple then the indexing provided by the WiiM Ultra/Amp may be enough for you, assuming the browsing presentation is.

If you have a Windows PC the best way to get a feel for how the Amp/Ultra would present your music is to configure Windows Media Sharing, then in the WHA browse to the share and enable Advanced Mode.
Windows Media Sharing is awful so you'll have to ignore the fact that track ordering is broken on multi-disc albums.

If you want simple then the indexing provided by the WiiM Ultra/Amp may be enough for you, assuming the browsing presentation is.

If you have a Windows PC the best way to get a feel for how the Amp/Ultra would present your music is to configure Windows Media Sharing, then in the WHA browse to the share and enable Advanced Mode.
Windows Media Sharing is awful so you'll have to ignore the fact that track ordering is broken on multi-disc albums.
I am very thankful for your help. The Ultra is on my wishlist. I have a windows Notebook and i will test Windows Media Sharing.

I also have „only“ a Notebook. On it is LMS - as I had a Squeezbox Touch before. If I want to listen to my library I turn on the notebook (it runs anyway most of the time - doesn‘t consume lots of energy), if I listen to Spotify it is not even necessary…
LMS offers everything you wish for…

Last edited:
Except my streaming service of choice, Amazon Music ;)
Bizarrely I think a WiiM could be part of the solution for LMS to get at least partial Amazon Music support.

As you may know it would be trivial to get the audio into LMS - you could do it by simply using a WiiM Mini and connect it via Optical->USB adapter to a piCorePlayer and use the pCP Audio Streamer component and then "Tune in URL" in LMS. With the correct adapter I think 24/192 may even be possible as the audio stream would be entirely in the digital domain. The devs of piCorePlayer have already confirmed the Audio Streamer does support this and I have bought an Optical->USB adapter (24/96) to test.

The tricky bits are metadata and control.
I don't think control would ever be possible as there is no approved open API but metadata is a different matter. The WiiM already provides it and indeed @cc_rider uses it on his various Pi displays. It could be possible to write a plugin in LMS that uses the same technique and would grab WiiM metadata from a given source (IP address) when a particular specified URL stream was in play. I have tinkered and I can see how it would be possible but I'm not a Perl programmer - I need to find someone in the Lyrion camp who might be up for the challenge.

Bizarrely I think a WiiM could be part of the solution for LMS to get at least partial Amazon Music support.
Just because you can... ;)

What's the point though? Hi-res multiroom?

EDIT: Is one mini per concurrent stream + a bunch of rpi+dac cheaper then Pros? Or do you not see the metadata of a Pro in LMS when being cast from Amazon?

Last edited:
Back