Streaming on multiple devices with Spotify Connect. Is it possible?

Torben24

So I just got my Ultra and I accepted that it as of now does not support Airplay since so far I have been able to stream on multiple devices from Spotify connect. However when choosing the ultra from Spotify connect I can’t choose any other speaker in addition to the Ultra. This was possible on other streamers. Any ideas how to resolve this problem?

Hi Torben24,

To play Spotify on a group of WiiM devices, first group the devices in the WiiM Home App. Then, select the group as the Spotify Connect target in the Spotify App. This approach provides better audio quality than AirPlay, as AirPlay involves audio transcoding that degrades sound quality.

Hi Torben24,

To play Spotify on a group of WiiM devices, first group the devices in the WiiM Home App. Then, select the group as the Spotify Connect target in the Spotify App. This approach provides better audio quality than AirPlay, as AirPlay involves audio transcoding that degrades sound quality.
If you have Chromecast devices you can also group them with WiiM devices using the Google Home app.

Thanks for your reply, however I am not talking about grouping Wiims. Previously I had a few Sonos and a argon streamer and I could “group” them all by pressing them quickly one after the other on my IPhone. I can’t do that with the Ultra. Once I click on the ultra I can’t quickly add others. I only have one wiim product

Thanks for your reply, however I am not talking about grouping Wiims. Previously I had a few Sonos and an argon streamer and I could “group” them all by pressing them quickly one after the other on my IPhone. I can’t do that with the Ultra. Once I click on the ultra I can’t quickly add others. I only have one wiim product
Sounds like you were using Airplay rather than Spotify Connect. The WiiM Ultra doesn’t support Airplay

Nope, I wasn’t using AirPlay. I am aware of the Ultra not supporting AirPlay. I was using Spotify Connect. It didn’t give the same flexibility of controlling volume as AirPlay did but I could play the same music on Argon and Sonos speakers trough Spotify connect.

To the best of my knowledge Spotify Connect did never support casting to multiple targets at the same time.

Even if it did, the Ultra could not keep it from grouping your other speakers.

Maybe your iPhone was seamlessly switching from Spotify Connect to Airplay as soon as you selected multiple endpoints?

Maybe your iPhone was seamlessly switching from Spotify Connect to Airplay as soon as you selected multiple endpoints?
Could be! That’s a bummer for me not being able to stream on multiple devices, Sonos Wiim etc. Fingers crossed for an update with airplay in the future.

I don’t believe Spotify Connect allows more than one connection at a time unless you’re using Airplay or some other means to connect the target speakers together. Details of how you achieved this in detail would be helpful.

See https://community.spotify.com/t5/Li...-Speakers-Devices-simultaneously/idi-p/614088
Not a Spotify issue per se. I play to multiple devices by defining a group of Chromecast compatible devices in Google Home, as pictured here simultaneously playing to WiiM in the listening room and the Chromecast in my bedroom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808-152540.png
    Screenshot_20240808-152540.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Not using Spotify Connect then, but just the Spotify GUI for selecting this group. Works, for sure.

But there's no grouping using Spotify Connect directly.

Not using Spotify Connect then, but just the Spotify GUI for selecting this group. Works, for sure.

But there's no grouping using Spotify Connect directly.
Besides having to define the group using Home what's the practical difference?

Besides having to define the group using Home what's the practical difference?
It's a totally different streaming protocol.

I don't know how common Chromecast is with Apple users being accustomed to AirPlay and what Google Home can or cannot do on iOS. Personally, I don't care for AirPlay at all because I'm not an Apple user.

It's a totally different streaming protocol.

I don't know how common Chromecast is with Apple users being accustomed to AirPlay and what Google Home can or cannot do on iOS. Personally, I don't care for AirPlay at all because I'm not an Apple user.
It's still a bit perfect transmission. Limued to 24/48 I think but that's irrelevant with Spotify. Of course it's not much help to Apple mobile users dependent on Airplay but that's my point, it's an Apple problem not a Spotify or WiiM one.

... it's an Apple problem not a Spotify or WiiM one.
It's not related to Spotify, it's somewhat related to WiiM (not being able to offer AirPlay on the Ultra for ... reasons).

Chromecast not being gapless is a practical implication that is important to many.

It's not related to Spotify, it's somewhat related to WiiM (not being able to offer AirPlay on the Ultra for ... reasons).

Chromecast not being gapless is a practical implication that is important to many.
That's true. And the primary reason I rarely use Spotify except in the car or doing party playlists (I'm a Roon user).

Not a Spotify issue per se. I play to multiple devices by defining a group of Chromecast compatible devices in Google Home, as pictured here simultaneously playing to WiiM in the listening room and the Chromecast in my bedroom
Do you know of I can do that on Sonos and WIIM combined?

Any other suggestion on how to make it work on my system with several Sonos and one WIIM Ultra?

Back