Support for Logitech Media Server

Hollywood

Major Contributor
Support for Logitech Media Server. I know you have a firmware update for this, but I am led to believe it is part of what I want.

Being able to access your LMS library and play to (and link) other WiiMs or DLNA devices. The Material skin is a nice alternative to the WHA. LMS is a local service, but still a service. I all of these played well together I think you would get a lot more customers.

Support for Logitech Media Server. I know you have a firmware update for this, but I am led to believe it is part of what I want.

Being able to access your LMS library and play to (and link) other WiiMs or DLNA devices. The Material skin is a nice alternative to the WHA. LMS is a local service, but still a service. I all of these played well together I think you would get a lot more customers.
Are you asking to build an interface that rivals Material (which won't happen) or to just surface the LMS library?
Assuming it's the latter then you need to ask LMS to improve its UPnP plugin, there's nothing WiiM can do about it (unless they build a smb browser).
If you really want a UPnP interface to your music, then install a UPnP server alongside LMS (on a different Pi).

Last edited:
Are you asking to build an interface that rivals Material (which won't happen) or to just surface the LMS library?
Assuming it's the latter then you need to ask LMS to improve its UPnP plugin, there's nothing WiiM can do about it (unless they build a smb browser).
If you really want a UPnP interface to your music, then install a UPnP server.
100% agree. There’s no point re inventing the wheel when the use of something like Minimserver allows access from the WiiM Home app.

If you really want a UPnP interface to your music, then install a UPnP server alongside LMS (on a different Pi).
All of this is alphabet soup to me. In a previous post I said the WiiM stuff works great (device and app). I also seen that the track skipping issue happened on both the Material and Orange Squeeze app, so I doubted it was the app, but am guessing LMS or the plugin.

I really don't understand a lot of how this all works, but I got to see a better app experience with photos, band info, album info, and lyrics. I never thought WiiM was responsible to add any of this. I was told LMS and Material could do that (with plugins). It does but it is buggy.

It turns out that (AFAIK) that there are 2 UPnP plugins will make LMS mostly compatible. One plugin lets LMS cast to our WiiMs, the other lets WiiM Home App see the LMS library. I was told one of the plugins is no longer supported and that I shouldn't use it.

As it is now, the track skipping is the biggest issue for me. I am led to believe the new WiiM firmware will *probably* fix that and eliminate the need for the UPnP Bridge plugin. I hope so.

With the UPnP Media Bridge plugin the WHA now sees the LMS library. It shows song Artists instead of album Artist, but otherwise *seems to work*. If need be, I am not opposed to only using the Material app to access and play my music.

I don't expect WiiM to do anything. Their device and app work. The WiiM/LMS/Material combo is REALLY nice. I hope the upcoming firmware update fixes the track skipping issue with WiiM/LMS. If not, I hope someone works on one or both of those 2 plugins.

I am a novice and may be way off base on all of this. I just wanted to share what I see and hope someone can make WiiM/LMS work better together.

Thanks!

All of this is alphabet soup to me. In a previous post I said the WiiM stuff works great (device and app). I also seen that the track skipping issue happened on both the Material and Orange Squeeze app, so I doubted it was the app, but am guessing LMS or the plugin.

I really don't understand a lot of how this all works, but I got to see a better app experience with photos, band info, album info, and lyrics. I never thought WiiM was responsible to add any of this. I was told LMS and Material could do that (with plugins). It does but it is buggy.

It turns out that (AFAIK) that there are 2 UPnP plugins will make LMS mostly compatible. One plugin lets LMS cast to our WiiMs, the other lets WiiM Home App see the LMS library. I was told one of the plugins is no longer supported and that I shouldn't use it.

As it is now, the track skipping is the biggest issue for me. I am led to believe the new WiiM firmware will *probably* fix that and eliminate the need for the UPnP Bridge plugin. I hope so.

With the UPnP Media Bridge plugin the WHA now sees the LMS library. It shows song Artists instead of album Artist, but otherwise *seems to work*. If need be, I am not opposed to only using the Material app to access and play my music.

I don't expect WiiM to do anything. Their device and app work. The WiiM/LMS/Material combo is REALLY nice. I hope the upcoming firmware update fixes the track skipping issue with WiiM/LMS. If not, I hope someone works on one or both of those 2 plugins.

I am a novice and may be way off base on all of this. I just wanted to share what I see and hope someone can make WiiM/LMS work better together.

Thanks!

I agree, it all can be a bit confusing, especially when UPNP, servers etc are involved. And re skipping, I’m not experiencing skipping on the Squeezelite beta firmware in my Pro - having said that, I’m finding it hard to replicate it using UPNPBridge and my Mini!

When dealing with playing tracks from a repository such as a NAS, you’ll often see this terminology (especially around UPNP) - not doubt @simbun et al will correct me if I get this wrong ;)
  • Server: software which indexes your repository of tracks and responds to requests for those tracks (e.g. LMS, Minimserver, Asset UPNP, Plex etc)
  • Control point/ client: software which selects what to play from the server and where to play it (e.g. WiiM Home app, Material skin, BubbleUPNP, mConnect etc)
  • Renderer/player: device which actually plays the track I.e. your WiiM device in our case.
Sometimes these functions reside on separate physical devices or apps, and sometimes they can co-reside on the same device and/or app.

You should also note that the server and client functions above are not necessarily mutually compatible (e.g. a upnp client can’t access LMS natively, nor can LMS natively play to a upnp renderer) unless some other software is used to “bridge” between them as you’ve experienced with the UPNP bridge plugin which allows LMS to play to upnp players like Wiim, and the obsolescent plugin which makes LMS look like a UPNP server so that upnp clients can access its repository.

Hope this doesn’t simply add to the alphabet soup - to be fair, on first reading control points and renderers sounded like a foreign language to me when I first came across the terms…

re skipping, I’m not experiencing skipping on the Squeezelite beta firmware in my Pro - having said that, I’m finding it hard to replicate it using UPNPBridge and my Mini!

You should also note that the server and client functions above are not necessarily mutually compatible (e.g. a upnp client can’t access LMS natively, nor can LMS natively play to a upnp renderer) unless some other software is used to “bridge” between them as you’ve experienced with the UPNP bridge plugin which allows LMS to play to upnp players like Wiim, and the obsolescent plugin which makes LMS look like a UPNP server so that upnp clients can access its repository.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain. In my WHOLE post I never mentioned the word "Squeezelite":) ...another term. In my mind there are WiiM, LMS, and Material. I glanced at Minimserver but it seemed to add even more confusion. I liked what LMS/Material did and hope I can get the skipping fixed. August 28 is still more then 11 months away though.:LOL:

This is all just conversation right now until the new firmware is rolled out. It might fix enough to make LMS/Material stable. I really do appreciate your help over the last few months. There is consistent skipping, but sometimes it is worst then others. I hope I am just chasing problems that there is already a fix in the works for.

Although not WiiM related, another WiiM forum member mentioned an LMS setting, under UPnp Bridge, Binaries. There are 2 choices, which should I use on the PiCorePlayer LMS setup?

Thanks again!

Although not WiiM related, another WiiM forum member mentioned an LMS setting, under UPnp Bridge, Binaries. There are 2 choices, which should I use on the PiCorePlayer LMS setup?
The one which works and is more stable.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain. In my WHOLE post I never mentioned the word "Squeezelite":) ...another term.

Squeezelite is the soon to be released WiiM feature which makes it look like a native player to LMS.

In my mind there are WiiM, LMS, and Material. I glanced at Minimserver but it seemed to add even more confusion.

Minimserver is just a UPNP flavoured server that responds to track requests from a UPNP client like the Wiim Home app. It does a similar job as LMS does from LMS clients like the Material skin interface.

I’ve just left that unchosen (I.e. my screen shows “select binary”) on my PCP install for my Pi 4

I don't expect WiiM to do anything.
Then what's the purpose of your post in a thread called "Integrating Music Services" where the first post reads:
Hi, we'd like to see what music services you want integrated into our WiiM Home app.

If you want to discuss your particular setup in detail then by all means make another thread (where I'll be more than happy to participate), but let's try to keep things on topic, as it's going to make things harder for WiiM when trying to collate all the suggestions.

Squeezelite is coming, be patient ;)

Then what's the purpose of your post in a thread called "Integrating Music Services" where the first post reads:
Squeezelite is coming, be patient ;)
I said I don't expect anything, but since they are rolling out Squeezelite, I am happy they are trying to make LMS integration better.

I’ve just left that unchosen (I.e. my screen shows “select binary”) on my PCP install for my Pi 4
OK, so none or one of the 2 options. I guess I'll see if one is better then the other.
Thanks again!

Back