Test Tracks Suggestions

RerunVP

This may be out of place, but all I am looking to do is build a playlist to showcase what the Wiim Ultra can do with regard to processing sound.

For context I stream music subscribing to Amazon Music and Spotify. I have my Sennheiser HD 6XX connected to my Ultra which is hard wired via Ethernet (I simply trust hard wiring over Wi-Fi -- call me old school).

What do you suggest I listen to to really bring into light how good this tiny machine is that everybody seems to like or love?

On the day I got my Ultra, which was this past Friday, I played "24K Magic" by Bruno Mars from Amazon Music and from the vinyl version of the album. Immediately I noticed how bright sounding the song was out of Amazon Music through the Ultra. It was way too bright. In fact, the part where Bruno Mars said, "Players" at the beginning of the song, there was this piercing sound. It was awful. Then I played the vinyl, and it was just fine. I also played the song from Spotify, no issue there. The problem must be Amazon Music. I was ready to pack the Ultra and return it because of the brightness. But I thought I'd continue to try other tracks. Thus this post.

If this doesn't belong here or anywhere, my apologies. But I am open to suggestions if any cares to help.

Thank you.

Here are the tracks Amir at ASR uses:

Here’s Erin’s from Erin’s Audio Corner (sorry, I only have a link to Spotify):

This may be out of place, but all I am looking to do is build a playlist to showcase what the Wiim Ultra can do with regard to processing sound.

For context I stream music subscribing to Amazon Music and Spotify. I have my Sennheiser HD 6XX connected to my Ultra which is hard wired via Ethernet (I simply trust hard wiring over Wi-Fi -- call me old school).

What do you suggest I listen to to really bring into light how good this tiny machine is that everybody seems to like or love?

On the day I got my Ultra, which was this past Friday, I played "24K Magic" by Bruno Mars from Amazon Music and from the vinyl version of the album. Immediately I noticed how bright sounding the song was out of Amazon Music through the Ultra. It was way too bright. In fact, the part where Bruno Mars said, "Players" at the beginning of the song, there was this piercing sound. It was awful. Then I played the vinyl, and it was just fine. I also played the song from Spotify, no issue there. The problem must be Amazon Music. I was ready to pack the Ultra and return it because of the brightness. But I thought I'd continue to try other tracks. Thus this post.

If this doesn't belong here or anywhere, my apologies. But I am open to suggestions if any cares to help.

Thank you.

I doubt very much that the issue is with Amazon themselves. If they were re-EQ-ing tracks we’d have heard about it by now, and heard about it a lot.

Amazon just stream what they’re sent, though you’d think they’d have sent all streaming services the same version.

However, Spotify is only lossy, whilst Amazon’s version is Ultra HD. It’s more likely that Amazon’s is ‘correct’.

I also have a pair of 600s, I’ll try to have a listen when I get home.

Last edited:
Personally, subjective and in private: Agreed that Hotel California is a classic and deserves this standing.
But I simply do not want to hear it any longer, too often in 50 years is simply too often 😂.
Its among the three things I try to forget:
- The lick of Stairway to Heaven in a guitar store.
- Hotel California in a HiFi studio.
- Funerals with Cohen's Hallelujah.
May be you can at least forgive me if you are not able to understand me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hotel California is a classic, for sure.

But it’s just so difficult to listen to without picturing the video and the utterly ridiculous facial expressions of the guitarists during the solos at the end.

Punk had to happen, if only to put an and to that sort of rot.

Personally, subjective and in private: Agreed that Hotel California is a classic and deserves this standing.
But I simply do not want to hear it any longer, too often in 50 years is simply too often 😂.
I'm missing "The House of the Rising Sun" and "Smoke on the Water" in this list 😂

Anette askvik - Liberty
Jennifer Warnes - the hunter
The police - One world is enough
Eva Cassidy - A bold young farmer
Metallica - The God that failed
Roberta Flack - Killing me softly

And many more …

Thank you.

Having listened to far more Bruno Mars than anyone should be forced to endure, on Spotify, Amazon, and various YouTube variations, I’m not hearing this at all.

Wow! Thank you, all, for the suggestions. Lots of good tracks for me to try. I'll definitely build a Spotify playlist out of everyone's suggestions, and I mean every single one you all have suggested, out of respect for taking the time to suggest some test tracks.

"Hotel California" though... agree!

I get you. HAHA...

I doubt very much that the issue is with Amazon themselves. If they were re-EQ-ing tracks we’d have heard about it by now, and heard about it a lot.

Amazon just stream what they’re sent, though you’d think they’d have sent all streaming services the same version.

However, Spotify is only lossy, whilst Amazon’s version is Ultra HD. It’s more likely that Amazon’s is ‘correct’.

I also have a pair of 600s, I’ll try to have a listen when I get home.
Yes, let me know if you hear it. It caught me by surprise as the sound was piercing listening to the track loudly.

Grandma's Hands - Livingston Taylor

- Reason, lovely room accoustics, harmonies, natural vocal sound, great for imaging tests.

Chain Gang - The Persuasions

- Another acapella track, this time with slightly fuller bass vocal, should be very clean and easy to differentiate the voices.

No sanctuary here - Chris Jones

- The bass has some balls

Brothers in arms - Dire Straits
Riders on the Storm - The Doors, I just like the intro the thunder.

I'll have a think of some others.

All sound GREAT on Tidal through WiiM Ultra as stand alone into Kali IN-8 on stands 2.6M away 6ft apart.

Edit: Liberty - Anette Askvik, beautiful intimate vocals, extremely detailed vocal tembre. Nice breathy saxaphone solos, lots of sound effects, knocks and gentle piano. Nice track, quite poignant given the state of the world.

I’ll keep trying.

Have you tried Amazon Music vs Spotify on this track on any other devices?
Yes. When my Ultra arrived, the first track I played was "24K Magic" via Amazon Music turned up to about -15dB. Immediately, my first impression was the sound was way too bright. Then I heard the piercing sound when Bruno Mars said, "Players.." I stopped playing Amazon Music, played my vinyl, and it was very pleasing; no issues. I played via Amazon Music again on my Ultra, same bright sound. I then played via Spotify on my Ultra, no issues. Back to playing via Amazon Music (Ultra), still super bright. I played through my AVR (Yamaha TSR-700/RX-V6A -- not the best but it serves the purpose watching movies) Pure Direct mode, no issues. For some reason, playing the track and the album using Amazon Music on my Ultra really sound way too bright. Go figure.

Yes. When my Ultra arrived, the first track I played was "24K Magic" via Amazon Music turned up to about -15dB. Immediately, my first impression was the sound was way too bright. Then I heard the piercing sound when Bruno Mars said, "Players.." I stopped playing Amazon Music, played my vinyl, and it was very pleasing; no issues. I played via Amazon Music again on my Ultra, same bright sound. I then played via Spotify on my Ultra, no issues. Back to playing via Amazon Music (Ultra), still super bright. I played through my AVR (Yamaha TSR-700/RX-V6A -- not the best but it serves the purpose watching movies) Pure Direct mode, no issues. For some reason, playing the track and the album using Amazon Music on my Ultra really sound way too bright. Go figure.
That's interesting, I have tidal and Amazon music so I'm gonna try this. And compare.

Back