The Ultra Has Landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is also my first use of the 12 volt trigger in a system. Works well, but there is a slight pause when the amp first turns on -- would be unnoticeable except for the fact that the subwoofer turns on a shade quicker (it does not use the Ultra's trigger) so one gets a second or two of muffled bass before the main speakers kick in. I just set my suspend timeout so I only have this happen when the system is turned on the first time and doesn't repeat the process if paused a bit for a phone call or other reason.

It seemed pretty instantaneous to me, but I’ll check again.

I suppose I’ve never been that desperate to hear a piece of music that I’ve started playing it before I had time to turn my amp on!

I hate to be a pedant, but the O on the red switch is for off, the I on the green switch is for on.

When you see a line in a circle, it’s On/Off.

Steve ‘The Knowledge’ Woodhouse

😇
What about the phono button then? And where did the famous hyphen c button come from?

phono-button.png hyphen-c-button.png

For the first time in many years I’ve unboxed a brand new home electronic device with a remote control where no batteries were included.
My guess was that not including any batteries might save some declaration hassles when sending the items around the globe, but I don't know how others are doing it nowadays.

I’m particularly happy with the sub and bass management facilities. I’ve only just got started, and had a bit of a tinker, but it’s extremely easy.
Don't forget to play around with the slightly hidden delay setting for perfect integration.

While automatic RC currently doesn't work for frequencies below the subwoofer crossover, manual GEQ and PEQ are still applied. Quite some cool stuff there.

The Ultra has matured really fast since the initial beta test. All that with the same PCB version, just improvements to the software. I'm absolutely positive that you will love your Ultra even more two months from now.

My guess was that not including any batteries might save some declaration hassles when sending the items around the globe, but I don't know how others are doing it nowadays.
Yes, it simply avoids some DGR regulations and the corresponding stickers.

My setup wiim ultra connected to parasound halo jc1 these are expensive mono block and speaker Polk legend. I like how ring radiator sound over a dome, horn or ribbon tweeter. Personal preference.

The 12v trigger works perfectly with my Topping PA5ii. Despite years in hi-fi-land, this is the first time I’ve actually used a trigger, so I’m quite impressed with how smoothly it works.
A major improvement over the switched mains receptacles some manufacturers used to offer.
For the first time in many years I’ve unboxed a brand new home electronic device with a remote control where no batteries were included.
Supplied batteries are usually garbage anyway.

Good luck with Woody and the Ultra!

It certainly looks like a tremendous near field. Maybe 50cm from ear to speaker?

I like the color of the wall. 😊

Mine arrived yesterday, delivered to my work.

I wish I’d had more time to have a good play with it, but I didn’t get home until late, then had to make everyone’s tea. A quick set up/installation, but we have a new puppy (everybody say “Ahhhh!), so I couldn’t play my music too late. By the time I’d set up, not much time for actual listening.

First impressions.

Okay, this comes across as a serious piece of kit. I’ve owned some high end stuff in my time, and this just feels ‘the business’, as they say. I know some have issues with the volume control, so I gave it a twiddle. Okay, not as ‘firm’ as the rest of the unit feels, but not completely light weight. I’ll not be using the physical control anyway, so no loss to me anyway.

Connections on the back all feel fine.

Initial set up, pretty straightforward, as you’d expect. Quick, apart from a short pause for updates.

More to follow.
Steve,

Can't wait to here your impressions.
After two weeks I am still so much happier with this setup than the Sonos setup I had. For me I needed a new place to start, Sonos had to go. This landed exactly when I needed it and our household is happier with the Ultra.

I hope you have great success as well.
Jeff

The 12v trigger works perfectly with my Topping PA5ii. Despite years in hi-fi-land, this is the first time I’ve actually used a trigger, so I’m quite impressed with how smoothly it works.
I also love using triggers. First time for me. Now all my amps go off when the Ultra sleeps. Saving the planet with all my power savings.. at least maybe a little bit.

Jeff

I was expecting to see Nobby's Nuts.
Very clean and tidy, but do you have to stick your head between those speakers? Quite a lot of toe there!

Enjoy.

The speakers and my head make a perfect equilateral triangle.

Nearfield listening has been a revelation to me over the past few months.

Steve,

Can't wait to here your impressions.
After two weeks I am still so much happier with this setup than the Sonos setup I had. For me I needed a new place to start, Sonos had to go. This landed exactly when I needed it and our household is happier with the Ultra.

I hope you have great success as well.
Jeff

As per Woody’s arrival, I’m getting only an hour or so each night but set things up. That’s not just plugging in the Ultra, but I’m physically re-jigging the whole desk, with a new PC and monitor due soon.

I don’t work on Fridays, so I’m hoping I can finish setting things up and get some serious listening in later that day and over the weekend.

I am cautious about a couple of areas. There have been reports of issues with running room correction and the subwoofer not being part of it, and even being stuck on, so I’d like to be sure those issues are sorted before doing any definitive listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back