The Ultra Has Landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay, here’s a rundown.

The speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s, and there’s a BK XLS200DF out of shot.

On the left is the Ultra, with a Topping PA5ii power amp sat on top. You can see the amp is pushed to the left, the WiiM remote fits perfectly in the gap on the right.

To the right is my Topping EX5 DAC/headphone amp, which is fed by my WiiM Mini. The Mini is stuck out of site on to the back of the desk. I intend to keep this side of things for headphone duties. As already noted, that’s a pair of Sennheiser HD600s top right.

In the centre, for now, is my Amazon Fire tablet. It won’t be there long, as that’s where my new PC monitor will sit. The new PC will go below it.

And finally, that’s a glass of Staropramen lager and a packet of KP Dry Roasted Peanuts.

Last edited:
Okay, here’s a rundown.

The speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s, and there’s a BK XLS200DF out of shot.

On the left is the Ultra, with a Topping PA5ii power amp sat on top. You can see the amp is pushed to the left, the WiiM remote fits perfectly in the gap on the right.

To the right is my Topping EX5 DAC/headphone amp, which is fed by my WiiM Mini. The Mini is stuck out of site on to the back of the desk. I intend to keep this side of things for headphone duties. As already noted, that’s a pair of Sennheiser HD600s top right.

In the centre, for now, is my Amazon Fire tablet. It won’t be there long, as that’s where my new PC monitor will sit. The new PC will go below it.

And finally, that’s a glass of Staropramen lager and a packet of KP Dry Roasted Peanuts.
Is there a sound difference between WiiM mini or WiiM ultra using topping ex5 as external dac ?

Is the WiiM ultra used with internal dac as good sounding as topping ex5 ?

I would like subjective sound differences judged by using your speakers as listening ( much better than using earphones ) .

I think those two questions are very relevant for many people :)

Is there a sound difference between WiiM mini or WiiM ultra using topping ex5 as external dac ?

Is the WiiM ultra used with internal dac as good sounding as topping ex5 ?

I would like subjective sound differences judged by using your speakers as listening ( much better than using earphones ) .

I think those two questions are very relevant for many people :)

As soon as I get a chance to check it out, I will.

As soon as I get a chance to check it out, I will.
Remember digital electronics ( read - capacitors ) need some days to burn in , I have a friend who has very expensive Linn gear with uppgraderad exakt system ( dsp crossover ) and its a big difference . I visited him first day to have a first listening ( didnt sound particulary good ) and also after a week - big difference for the better in soundquality .

What Im saying is that the WiiM ultra might sound a little better after 3 - 7 days, maybe….

Last edited:
Right, I’ve managed to catch a few minutes, and something has caught my attention, for which I was not looking.

My seating is nearfield, which requires accuracy in positioning, in both seating positioning and speaker positioning.

But also, relatively unusually, height. Any limitations in height are amplified in nearfield, all the more so when your speakers have a relatively narrow listening window, as indeed mine do.

Anything more than an inch or two above or below speaker height at 1m from my speakers results in great changes. Fortunately, I have my speakers and seat set up so that this isn’t an issue for listening.

However, it’s a big issue when it comes to mic placement for measurements, room correction, etc. The SPL readings I was getting for 2K upwards were all over the place.

Just a quick update on listening. Absolutely great, fine, no problems. Initially I’d say the DAC in the Ultra (hence output over the RCAs) sounds no different on initial listening to the output over my EX5, and another, even ‘higher-end’ DAC.

For tonal balance, I’ve compared over my speakers (equalised) against my HD600s (equalised), and I can hear no issues.

Functionality/usability remains good, with just the odd glitch with Amazon Music, thought to fair this is more to do with a lag in what my phone is displaying, as opposed to what I’ve asked it to play. In other words, it dies as it’s told, even though it doesn’t always quickly show it.

More to follow.

Right, I’ve managed to catch a few minutes, and something has caught my attention, for which I was not looking.

My seating is nearfield, which requires accuracy in positioning, in both seating positioning and speaker positioning.

But also, relatively unusually, height. Any limitations in height are amplified in nearfield, all the more so when your speakers have a relatively narrow listening window, as indeed mine do.

Anything more than an inch or two above or below speaker height at 1m from my speakers results in great changes. Fortunately, I have my speakers and seat set up so that this isn’t an issue for listening.

However, it’s a big issue when it comes to mic placement for measurements, room correction, etc. The SPL readings I was getting for 2K upwards were all over the place.

Just a quick update on listening. Absolutely great, fine, no problems. Initially I’d say the DAC in the Ultra (hence output over the RCAs) sounds no different on initial listening to the output over my EX5, and another, even ‘higher-end’ DAC.

For tonal balance, I’ve compared over my speakers (equalised) against my HD600s (equalised), and I can hear no issues.

Functionality/usability remains good, with just the odd glitch with Amazon Music, thought to fair this is more to do with a lag in what my phone is displaying, as opposed to what I’ve asked it to play. In other words, it dies as it’s told, even though it doesn’t always quickly show it.

More to follow.
Used as digital transports to your dac , is there ANY difference to be heard between mini and Ultra ?

Used as digital transports to your dac , is there ANY difference to be heard between mini and Ultra ?

I’ve not listened to the output from the DAC in the Mini, as I have absolutely no intention of ever using it.

I might give it a go, though.

It’s common that many can’t hear it. It’s takes time of listening experience to know what to look for such depth, width, texture, soundstage and imaging. Most importantly how well is your ear working. All the good stuff mean nothing if you have hearing problem or using hearing aid. Only handful in this forum has golden ear.

It’s common that many can’t hear it. It’s takes time of listening experience to know what to look for such depth, width, texture, soundstage and imaging. Most importantly how well is your ear working. All the good stuff mean nothing if you have hearing problem or using hearing aid. Only handful in this forum has golden ear.

It may be a blessing not being able to hear differences (others do hear)… :)

It may be a blessing not being able to hear differences (others do hear)… :)
If someone can’t tell the difference between listening to am and fm no point of buying hifi. I will just take your money and buy me burrito to fill my belly instead 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back