TIDAL MQA unfolding coming to WiiM Mini ?

Beta versions often are a higher firmware number than the public release because they contain tested beta code that’s been added to the previous public release. So if the Public release is #1000, say, the beta is likely to be #1050 for example. If a public release #1100 then comes out, it’ll include what’s in the beta #1050. However, if you’re on the beta whitelist you’ll stay on #1050 till there’s a new beta even though there’s a newer public release. You’d need to opt out of the beta whitelist to get that new public release.
As with all beta versions, while it might get you something you want in a rush, remember that it’s a beta and therefore might be buggy, and there’s an implicit responsibility upon you to accept there might be errors in the code and also an acceptance that you’ll test and report back any issues - it’s not a one way fast track for new features.

We will release an official firmware version(4.6.437348) to fix the pop noise with TIDAL Master when turning MQA Core Decoder. Everyone will be upgraded to the newest firmware version in a few days.

It's of course possible if Tidal got better audio masters than Amazon had got.
I doubt if Tidal managed to get all the “better” masters than Amazon. Some just seem to like the lossy massaged sound of MQA …

I doubt if Tidal managed to get all the “better” masters than Amazon. Some just seem to like the lossy massaged sound of MQA …
I doubt it as well, but I assume that at least part of them can be better in Tidal.

The recent (public) firmware update has indeed fixed the popping noise with MQA decoder for me.

Really pleased how quickly it was addressed.

I personally only use the Wiim Mini with Tidal connect on PC, so my life is complete. :p

I’m not here to defend mqa but since I upgrade to full mqa dac that does decoding on optical there were some noticeable improvements. It’s hard to describe but get full mqa dac and let your ear decide. If doesn’t made different, return it. I tried all settings on mqa since my dac is capable on every combination and display mqa on display. However, the setting decoding and rendering (full mqa) takes music to incredible realism. I will just keep tidal and rest will be cancelled. Hifi on tidal which display pcm sound ok.

I’m not here to defend mqa but since I upgrade to full mqa dac that does decoding on optical there were some noticeable improvements. It’s hard to describe but get full mqa dac and let your ear decide. If doesn’t made different, return it. I tried all settings on mqa since my dac is capable on every combination and display mqa on display. However, the setting decoding and rendering (full mqa) takes music to incredible realism. I will just keep tidal and rest will be cancelled. Hifi on tidal which display pcm sound ok.
I already own a £3k Linn MDSM/4 so there’s no chance of me buying an MQA compatible DAC. Also I prefer my music to be delivered without having been manipulated by some business led algorithm viz. https://www.linn.co.uk/uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music-heres-why

Wow. I just thought mqa is broken again! I heard a pops again! Then I realized it is milk in my cappuccino standing near my head :)

So, I am confident that the number of Tidal Music Subscribers who can decode an MQA file is rounded 300k.
Everybody that uses the Tidal app (iPhone, Android, Desktop) can decode MQA... There's probably millions of those users.

Then add some thousands of Roon and Audirvana users that can also decode MQA.

You are saying there are only 300k TIDAL users total?

LOL

Last edited:
In master quality executed from the native Tidal application the Wiim application shows 88.2 khz or 96 khz. If I launch the same songs from the wiim application it only reaches 44.1 khz.
I have the same observation.

What am I doing wrong ?

Coldplay politik mqa tidal connect = 1698/24/96

Coldplay politik mqa WiiM app =
1738/24/48

Very strange.

Uapp shows the file unfolded
1738/24/192

Last edited:
So are people saying Tidal connect unfolds MQA from their servers to your speakers? (Tidal connect compatible ones.)

So are people saying Tidal connect unfolds MQA from their servers to your speakers? (Tidal connect compatible ones.)
I wouldn’t think so as that would defeat one of the aims of MQA which is a smaller file size during transmission. The receiving device does the unfolding.

I have the same observation.

What am I doing wrong ?

Coldplay politik mqa tidal connect = 1698/24/96

Coldplay politik mqa WiiM app =
1738/24/48

Very strange.

Uapp shows the file unfolded
1738/24/192
On my full mqa dac, I get the same as the native app using wiim app. On just dac does rendering only tidal connect is a must.

Back